Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 168
The press release:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/silicondust-announces-two-new-hdhomerun-network-tuners-with-tr/

...two new network tuners, the HDHR4-US and the HDHR4-CC. Both offer hardware transcoding for "digital-to-digital conversion of high-bandwidth MPEG2 streams to bandwidth-friendly H.264." The primary difference between the two new quad tuner boxes is one has a CableCARD slot for premium TV, and the other is for clear QAM or ATSC...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like a way forward beyond WMC?

post #3 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Ceton is going to have to step up their game with the promised InifniTV6, or there will be no reason to buy InifniTV. After having switched to SiliconDust HomeRun duals (not the cable card kind) from the internal/external USB tuner, I could not have been happier. They are absolutely solid. Ceton on the other hand, keeps "service not available" here and there. Admittedly, I have one of the first Cetons, which apparantely has been redesigned, but still. I like the stability of the HomeRuns and ability to keep them in the basement.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The article also mentions that there will be a beta of the DLNA streaming function available next week for existing HDHomerun Prime users. Very cool!
post #5 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I like the stability of the HomeRuns and ability to keep them in the basement.

Me too. I have two of them installed in my electronic closet for roughly six months and I haven't had to reboot them once. They simply work...

We still need one of the streamer companies to step up and come up with a (nice) DVR app. I'll even pay for guide data... if it's full featured.

post #6 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ceton is going to have to step up their game with the promised InifniTV6, or there will be no reason to buy InifniTV. After having switched to SiliconDust HomeRun duals (not the cable card kind) from the internal/external USB tuner, I could not have been happier. They are absolutely solid. Ceton on the other hand, keeps "service not available" here and there. Admittedly, I have one of the first Cetons, which apparantely has been redesigned, but still. I like the stability of the HomeRuns and ability to keep them in the basement.

The HDHR3-CC gets the occasional Tuner not available and Requested channel not available errors as well for me and I'm on the 20120405 f/w as the beta f/w has been a nightmere over the summer. I will wait for the next STABLE f/w release..

post #7 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

The article also mentions that there will be a beta of the DLNA streaming function available next week for existing HDHomerun Prime users. Very cool!

I like this idea too but SiliconDust has had issues with rogue beta f/w's so I'll wait until this goes to official. I don't have any DLNA devices and only the PS3 supports the copy protected channels that I know of plus there's still the question of an EPG that hasn't really been answered.

At any rate I cannot wait to see how this plays out.

post #8 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using HDHR since V1 and they have always proven to be a solid, stable solution. I currently have four of the HDHR V2 dual tuners running that replaced my two V1s and I haven't had a single problem with them since installing. Can't recommend them enough.

It will be interesting to see how ComSkip handles the transcoded videos.

Ben
post #9 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Liked: 16
This is big. More CC devices. More tuners. A possible path forward for Copy Once after WMC is dead and gone...
This should hold me over nicely until true ala carte/streaming comes along.
post #10 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

The HDHR3-CC gets the occasional Tuner not available and Requested channel not available errors as well for me and I'm on the 20120405 f/w as the beta f/w has been a nightmere over the summer. I will wait for the next STABLE f/w release..

I bought the Prime fairly early and was having issues. It turned out it was a setting for my network card that was rare because I direct connect the device to the HTPC. And I also had a problem with Comcast having not removed the filter for Limited Basic.

Other than that, both my Prime and my original HDHR have been very solid. The software just seems to get better and better and easier to setup.
post #11 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Ceton is going to have to step up their game with the promised InifniTV6.

Agreed. I think Ceton was waiting to see what SD was bringing to the table before they released the iTV6... at least that's what I'm hoping.wink.gif
post #12 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Liked: 15
So does this mean the HDHR4-US will have four tuners?
post #13 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yup.. And a built-in MPEG2 to h.254 transcoder too.

post #14 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Curious to see if SD will release their own player app on Android or iOS or Windows RT.

Also I guess WMC/PS3 are required to view premium channels?
post #15 of 108 Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PS3 has already been mentioned by SD. Xbox, I'm not sure as IDK if M$ likes people playing with their $$ stream.

post #16 of 108 Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I get this with both the InfiniTV4 and the HDHR Prime all the time. I think it has to do with the delay in initializing the tuner when WMC polls the available tuners to start recording. WMC eventually finds a tuner so I've never had a show not get recorded because a tuner was unavailable.

As for being a way forward beyond WMC, I wouldn't hold your breath. Unless a third party developer gets Cable Labs certification to allow cablecard use, our only option is WMC, at least for copy once content. If you're fortunate enough to be on FIOS or you're only getting OTA channels, then you have a few more choices available to you. I'm on FIOS and I had just started looking at SageTV with the CC patch right before they sold their business. I was on the verge of buying a license when I discovered they were no longer available. I went back to WMC and I'm OK with it.

There are just too many different front ends available right now and I have no extra time to try them all out. I'd love to give Plex a shot, but simply do not have the time to deal with it. The latest version of unRAID server has a Plex add-on so I'd really like to take it for a spin. My Honey-Do list is already getting out of control so I need to spend time doing other things around the house (the wife seems to have forgotten that I single-handedly put a new roof on our two-story house this past summer:rolleyes:).
post #17 of 108 Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did not know that Sage had a CC patch. I'm guessing that it still didn't handle CopyOnce content? I too was on the fence on getting sage when google gobbled them up.

The "tuner not available" and similar errors are a nuesense. I know that SD has been trying to fix this with f/w and s/w but was having difficulty with it. I think that they are almost there by looking at their beta forum.

I am thinking that SD wants to find a way beyond WMC as does ceton. They may be able to generate a revenue stream providing a nice EPG if it isn't over-priced.

As far as the honeydo list, keep it up or you may find yourself with no honey to do.. when you're done with that list can you come over and put a roof on my house? It is only a 14:12 pitch.. oh and it needs to be stripped and re-sheeted too!

post #18 of 108 Old 01-09-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
On a side note: Do any of you notice when you reboot your PC it takes about two (2) full minutes for it to connect to your LAN? I've been rebuilding a couple of my PCs and the LAN connection is super fast (like 3~4 seconds from icon in system tray to INTERNET ACCESS) until I load the Windows SD software. Once I do that I have to wait 2 minutes before I can access my LAN much less the internet!

Any ideas? Maybe there's something I could check? I'm on GB-Lan, the SD Dual and SD Prime are right on my Motorola Gateway and it is connected to my GB switch where my PCs are connected.
post #19 of 108 Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Hopefully this will lead to some kind of "SD Media Center" or "Ceton Media Center" Windows app that can tune and record CopyOnce Live TV.
Make it happen! I'll even donate!
post #20 of 108 Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So the HDHR4-US is only going to have 2 ATSC tuners not 4? That would be a huge disappointment.
post #21 of 108 Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

On a side note: Do any of you notice when you reboot your PC it takes about two (2) full minutes for it to connect to your LAN? I've been rebuilding a couple of my PCs and the LAN connection is super fast (like 3~4 seconds from icon in system tray to INTERNET ACCESS) until I load the Windows SD software. Once I do that I have to wait 2 minutes before I can access my LAN much less the internet!

Any ideas? Maybe there's something I could check? I'm on GB-Lan, the SD Dual and SD Prime are right on my Motorola Gateway and it is connected to my GB switch where my PCs are connected.

Nope, I rebuilt my system before the holidays with new components and have no issue with Prime software and my PC connecting to my GigE switch after reboot. It's available immediately. You could try forcing the NIC to 1Gb full-duplex mode instead of auto-negotiate but it sounds like the problem is higher up in the stack - try running ipconfig /all from a command prompt after boot and see if you have a valid IP address (with DNS etc.). If you don't get one, try setting a fixed IP address etc. in the adapter, you might be having DHCP issues. Post over in the SD support forums and see what they say.
post #22 of 108 Old 01-11-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I ordered two HDHR3-CC's recently only to see the next day this news mad.gif Oh well, at least they are a ways off until they become available.

Going to replace my current Ceton. Take some heat out of my main HTPC.
post #23 of 108 Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You'll have them now and you saved some $$!

post #24 of 108 Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I think it'll be interesting to see what software developers will do with DNLA support built into HDHR4s. Maybe expand how XBMC, Plex, or something else is used. I'm not really counting on XBMC or Plex bringing the abliity to see copyonce material.

The only thing I wish they had the ability for these boxes is to be able to able to QAM, clearQAM, and ATSC. I didn't realize that when I got the HDHR3CC, it did not do OTA. I got it because it had more tuners and so I had the ablity to use a cablecard if I ever chose to use subscription cable in future.
post #25 of 108 Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:

What a coincidence. I was just wondering that myself. I just built a new HTPC around and AMD A10/ASRock micro ATC motherboard. Somewhere along the way (maybe after SD software install), Ethernet activation got ridiculously long (2 minutes for me as well). Since I just did an install last night, I may redo the whole windows install until I can narrow down where that happened.
post #26 of 108 Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Me too. I have two of them installed in my electronic closet for roughly six months and I haven't had to reboot them once. They simply work...

We still need one of the streamer companies to step up and come up with a (nice) DVR app. I'll even pay for guide data... if it's full featured.

This seems to me to be a crucial missing component. I don't care terribly about the ability to do live TV absent anything else. Are there any good software DVR programs out there with which this can be made to work? XBMC doesn't do backend and the DVR interface is pretty crude. SageTV is gone. None of these platforms support DTCP-IP to my knowledge. Is there a big market of people out there that are looking to watch live TV on the PS3s without any DVR functionality? I'm not being contentious-I'm genuinely curious.

Even setting aside protected content, I'm not sure there are any software platforms available other than 7MC on which I'd want to watch TV and there doesn't seem to be anything particularly appealing on the horizon.

Kudos to SD for doing this but I'm not sure where it gets us.
post #27 of 108 Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 159
MythTV, for one. Has a master/slave setup that works well for multiple PCs at the expense of more complexity (and features) vs. WMC. Only for non-protected content with the Prime of course.

I recommend LinHes if you want to try out a distro.
post #28 of 108 Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I found something in my LAN connection delay -- a buddy suggested SD may not be the culprit... I'm also running MediaPortal on my PCs. SURE, my Server is in the basement and this is a Client I'm focusing on with the delay... odd thing, when you install MediaPortal it asks if you want to watch TV and I say YES. This not only installs the TV-Client but a Server... since I'm using the HTPC's Server this one is not used! I STOPPED the TV-Service on this Client and viola` Rebooting worked flawlessly taking only about 2 seconds to establish the LAN (internet access) connection once explorer (your main desktop) is open and I'm using a SSD so boot times are really fast!
post #29 of 108 Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:

I found something in my LAN connection delay -- a buddy suggested SD may not be the culprit... I'm also running MediaPortal on my PCs. SURE, my Server is in the basement and this is a Client I'm focusing on with the delay... odd thing, when you install MediaPortal it asks if you want to watch TV and I say YES. This not only installs the TV-Client but a Server... since I'm using the HTPC's Server this one is not used! I STOPPED the TV-Service on this Client and viola` Rebooting worked flawlessly taking only about 2 seconds to establish the LAN (internet access) connection once explorer (your main desktop) is open and I'm using a SSD so boot times are really fast!

With mediaportal you need to answer that is a dedicated client. When you answer that question it installs both the client and the backend server
post #30 of 108 Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

I think it'll be interesting to see what software developers will do with DNLA support built into HDHR4s. Maybe expand how XBMC, Plex, or something else is used. I'm not really counting on XBMC or Plex bringing the abliity to see copyonce material.

The only thing I wish they had the ability for these boxes is to be able to able to QAM, clearQAM, and ATSC. I didn't realize that when I got the HDHR3CC, it did not do OTA. I got it because it had more tuners and so I had the ablity to use a cablecard if I ever chose to use subscription cable in future.

This is EXACTLY the first thoughts that went through my head after reading about this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page