Windows 8 - Netflix App or WMC plug-in? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 104 Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was poking around online and found this useful site which has surround sound audio tests. IE explorer seems to be a bit behind as it only plays AAC. Chrome on the other hand plays all of them except for AC3. So I guess 5.1 is possible through a browser, but would have to be remixed to AAC on their end. If any W8 users are curious, check out my link above and report back with your findings but I suspect they will be the exact same as W7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I upgraded to Win 8.1 and my MCE remote no longer seems to control the Windows 8 Netflix app (play,pause,stop). Anyone else notice this?
post #93 of 104 Old 11-06-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

I upgraded to Win 8.1 and my MCE remote no longer seems to control the Windows 8 Netflix app (play,pause,stop). Anyone else notice this?
The Win 8 (or 8.1) Netflix app has never worked with a remote. Are you saying it used to work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 104 Old 11-06-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Play and pause always worked for me once you used a keyboard and mouse to actually select which movie or tv show you wanted to play. I'd have to check and see if that still works though, I haven't used it in a while.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #95 of 104 Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The Win 8 (or 8.1) Netflix app has never worked with a remote. Are you saying it used to work?

Yeah, play/pause/stop works fine with my MCE remote on the Win8 app as well, since an update early on, at least. You'll see that reported here and there by others so we're not imagining it smile.gif

Haven't gone to 8.1 yet, and probably won't until the smoke clears, so I can't confirm any changes.

- Cinema, soapbox, music & musings
post #96 of 104 Old 11-07-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, thanks. Looks like I missed it when those got enabled a few months back, and are now apparently disabled again in 8.1. But I have to ask what is your process for starting the app, picking a title, searching, etc.? There's no way to do most of that with a remote anyway, right, so why even bother?

post #97 of 104 Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

OK, thanks. Looks like I missed it when those got enabled a few months back, and are now apparently disabled again in 8.1. But I have to ask what is your process for starting the app, picking a title, searching, etc.? There's no way to do most of that with a remote anyway, right, so why even bother?

How do people do anything outside of WMC with a remote anyways? I currently use HippoRemote on an old iPod touch to function as my multi-function remote. That way I can switch between WMC remote and touchpad easily. It would be nice to be able to do things with just a regular remote though. I'm thinking of getting a Harmony and using it to simulate a mouse with the arrow keys, but I'm wondering if there are better solutions. Maybe programming a remote to simulate key presses? The Win 8 start screen does work well enough with keyboard arrow keys.
post #98 of 104 Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I think we all do something like that. Using a Harmony or other universal as a mouse is very awkward. Hippo or a real keyboard/mouse is still the best option IMO. Of course iMon/LIRC that you're alluding to also work ok.

I try to make my system 100% remote friendly. So I use a universal remote, WMC for TV/DVR and a BD player for everything else (Netflix, file streaming, etc.). The only time I need a keyboard/mouse is for occasional web surfing.

post #99 of 104 Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 62
This thread seemed like an appropriate place to discuss this:

I've noticed that the Netflix metro app doesnt switch my TV's frame rate to 24hz like my Samsung BD player does. As a result (I'm not sure it's related) I get a screen flicker every minute or so via metro app. No screen flicker via BD player and it's Netflix app.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #100 of 104 Old 05-18-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

This thread seemed like an appropriate place to discuss this:

I've noticed that the Netflix metro app doesnt switch my TV's frame rate to 24hz like my Samsung BD player does. As a result (I'm not sure it's related) I get a screen flicker every minute or so via metro app. No screen flicker via BD player and it's Netflix app.

Any ideas/thoughts?
Use the BD player to watch NetFlix?

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #101 of 104 Old 05-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Use the BD player to watch NetFlix?
I wish it were that easy. My cabinet doesn't have room for it. I pulled it in from a different room to try it out.

Theater set-up:  

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

post #102 of 104 Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Forget the BD player and Win 8 then. A Chromecast or Roku takes hardly any space at all.

post #103 of 104 Old 05-19-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to agree with this guy here. I use the Netflix app in the Roku player, and its like much better than the windows version shaw.
btw, what apps cast from adroid to roku besides the Netflix and youtube apps?
post #104 of 104 Old 05-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^
Forget the BD player and Win 8 then. A Chromecast or Roku takes hardly any space at all.

I'm strongly considering purchasing the Amazon Fire TV due to the DD+ and the Amazon Instant Video support.  

Theater set-up:  

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Logitech

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page