Windows home server question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
All,

This question might not be best posed in this forum, but I'm hoping there are enough people here who use Windows Home Server 2011 that the answer might be easily found.

I use Windows Home Server 2011. I have four other client PC's connected to it (my two HTPC's, my workstation and my notebook). WHS manages my backups, but it will not backup my primary HTPC. The backup consistently fails at 1% complete. The problem seems to be related only to this machine.. all other clients back up regularly with no issues.

Some background:

The HTPC in question is the first one I built several years ago. It is an MSI Media Live Diva 5.1. The board I had originally purchased worked for about a year, and failed. I found two other identical boards on Ebay about a year ago and used one of those as a replacement. It worked for about four months and also failed. The third replacement also failed in about the same time frame. All for the same problem (domed caps). I replaced the power supply, had all three boards repaired and have now been up and running trouble free for about six months.

In each (short) lifetime of the motherboards, I made no changes to my Windows 7 install, I simply swapped out the board, booted the system up and ran with it, so I think that I may have confused the backup feature in my server. I'm not sure if WHS2011 keeps track of the specific hardware configuration of each machine (it probably does) or what effect changing the motherboard may have had on it, but that seems to me to be the root of the problem. I'm just not sure what to do about it. I have reinstalled Windows 7 for other reasons, but the backup problem remains. Some googling of this problem also offered some troubleshooting, but ultimately not much help.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If I were you I would try deleting the old backup info on WHS 2011. Reinstall the connector software on the HTPC, and then set it up again as a new machine.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I did try deleting the client machine from the server, and removing the backups, and I also removed and re-installed the connector client several times, but no help. The only thing I didn't do is change the name of the computer. Could that be it? All of my hosts files are the same across my network, and I never changed the name there either.

Could that be worth a try?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

I did try deleting the client machine from the server, and removing the backups, and I also removed and re-installed the connector client several times, but no help. The only thing I didn't do is change the name of the computer. Could that be it? All of my hosts files are the same across my network, and I never changed the name there either.

Could that be worth a try?

Might be worth a try.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Try running chkdsk on the drive. I've had problems with drive errors not letting me back-up or clone drives before. You might not even know you've got a problem. On mine it had been running for months before I ran chkdsk and fixed it.

By the way chkdsk is windows built in recovery program. Select the drive right click and select properties. Then select tools, and click on error-checking. Next time you reboot it will run.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page