Microsoft confirm only the Xbox 360 will work as a Media Center Extender with Windows 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
They really are circling the wagons, aren't they?

post #3 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 224
The article makes it like Microsoft won't allow any 3rd party extenders to work with WMC8. That's not what I read at all. First of all, change to the protocol happens with all major OS releases and should be expected. Aall the 3rd party extenders with the exception of Echo are discountinued products. So, no one would expect any update from them. However, Ceton has said they will work on compatibility with Win8 for Echo. As long as Microsoft is willing to cooperate, I'm pretty sure it can be done.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 497
they really should just open it up and let any windows machine act as the extender. is there a reason not to?

I would love to have all of my notebooks/desktops/tablets be able to get its content from WMC.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The article makes it like Microsoft won't allow any 3rd party extenders to work with WMC8. That's not what I read at all. First of all, change to the protocol happens with all major OS releases and should be expected. Aall the 3rd party extenders with the exception of Echo are discountinued products. So, no one would expect any update from them. However, Ceton has said they will work on compatibility with Win8 for Echo. As long as Microsoft is willing to cooperate, I'm pretty sure it can be done.
That's my take on it as well.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

they really should just open it up and let any windows machine act as the extender. is there a reason not to?

I would love to have all of my notebooks/desktops/tablets be able to get its content from WMC.

I'm sure Microsoft would have loved to do that years ago. The content providers don't want what you want, so it isn't happening.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
im just amazed that Andy Van Til (Babgvant) called this - I read him speculating that the reason WMC was being confined the Professional W8 editions was due to a change in RDP. Even if that wasnt quite dead on the money it was a very astute and impressive observation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #8 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blushrts View Post

I'm sure Microsoft would have loved to do that years ago. The content providers don't want what you want, so it isn't happening.

but I don't see what the difference is, to the content providers, between a WMC extender and another PC. is it merely the fact that there are so few extenders out there (besides the 360) that the media people are okay with extenders? i'm sure they can put some kind of DRM or some kind of protection scheme so that using a Win8 machine has the same limitations as an extender at browsing and manipulating the WMC of the main machine.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 224
No one knows why but Microsoft tabled that project (google Soft Sled) long time ago.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express
post #10 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

okay, that kind of makes sense (after reading a link on soft sled). that the vendors making extenders don't want it because otherwise, no one would buy extenders. but how many vendors are actually making extenders? I think it'd be completely advantageous for Microsoft to open this up. If anything, from the ecosystem perspective. More reasons for people to stick to the Microsoft platform if all the PCs in the house can be connected as Microsoft products.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With MS its safest to assume they are circling the wagons and zapping all competition until proven otherwise.

The business plan of all media vendors is to place some kind of toll gate between consumers and creators then milk it for all the market will bear.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Microsoft , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page