Digital Video Recorder on Windows 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could guide me to the best choice for a software DVR on Windows 7. Windows Media Center Edition has not been processing TV listings since the first of the year, and I have no idea when Microsoft will get around to fixing their problem (if ever), so I thought I'd jump to another solution. I currently have an HD Homerun Prime tuner directly connected to my LAN, and it has a cablecard in it with three tuners. Windows Media Center can record from it fine, it just doesn't know what's playing. From what little I've read, I'm not sure if XBMC will give me what I need as it might not do tuning. Would MediaPortal be a better choice?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 192
im assuming youre located in the us since youre using a cablecard. who is your cable provider? that would dictate if another DVR program was even able to use your cable card tuner.

id give this a whirl (if you havent):

open WMC, go to Tasks, click Settings, click TV, click Guide, and then click Get Latest Guide Listings.

many many moons ago i got a virus that kept windows update from working, which kept me from being able to update my guide.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I've tried that a dozen times already. Yes, I'm in the U.S. and Comcast is my provider. From what I've read on another site, this is a world-wide problem with Windows Media Center Edition, at least it is in the UK and the U.S. The provider of listings say they are sending it to Microsoft, but MS doesn't seem to be processing it.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 57
It was fixed last week everywhere except Ireland, AFAIK. The guide works fine in the US now, and works fine with Comcast for me.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 154
There are tons of of us here using either a Prime or InfiniTV with Cablecard on Comcast and other systems, and guide data is working fine. Try running through setup again with a different zip code in your area, and make sure you are using the correct listings (in my area it's Comcast Digital World of More or something like that).

The problems you read about guide data over the holidays did not affect the US, only some in Europe.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Then it must have been my stupidity in making those changes to Windows. I found a website that claimed that PCs using SSDs can lengthen the lives of their SSDs and improve their speed by making changes to the registry and to other aspects of Windows. I bet if I restore the system to the image I made a week ago that it will fix my problem. Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

On second thought, I don't think my systems are the problem. I just ran MCE on another of my workstations, a third, one that I've never used for recording or watching TV on, and certainly never messed with any of Windows' settings (it has no SSD), and on it, too, MCE generates "errors during the last update" of the Guide. Repeatedly. So clearly there seems to be a problem in my household with getting Windows Media Center Guide updates. I'm Oh for three so far.

I think I'll try Media Portal. I was able to determine that I first had to install SiliconDurst's HDHomerun software before MP was able to even see it, then, through trial and error, I finally figured out that the Server has to scan the channels with "TuneQAM instead of ATSC" checkmarked, and to look for "QAM Standard Alternative". Otherwise it sees hardly any channels.

Now if only I could figure out how to just tell it to record . . . It doesn't seem obvious. I sure do miss the ease of Windows Media Center.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page