buying a used unraid server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey guys i ran out of room on my htpc and i was thinking about building a unraid server
then i found someone selling one locally for what it looks like a good price
here are the specs

Cooler Master 590 Case

GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 Micro ATX AMD

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2

PQI POWER Series 2GB 240-Pin DDR2

Western Digital WD Green WD20EARS 2TB x3

Themaltake 430 watt PSU

Sandisk USB 4Gig Drive, Loaded with Unraid 4.5 Free version, Unmenu also sleep and wakeup script

the price is $300 do u guys think its a fair price for this server ?
anything i should check when i go pick up the server?
thanks for the help moe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Liked: 13
Mobo, CPU, RAM, and PSU would cost roughly $166 (most are obsolete, so you would have to use newer parts at roughly the same price) to build. Not sure what is an equivalent case for price comparison.

If it has three 2TB hard drives, I would say it might be a decent deal, even if all you reused was the case and HDDs. (PSU doesn't seem to be 80+ but might be)

Currently on NewEgg, Western Digital WD Green WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive is $110, so if you bought it, and gutted the case for new mobo/cpu/RAM/PSU, you would still save some money.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalytic View Post

Mobo, CPU, RAM, and PSU would cost roughly $166 (most are obsolete, so you would have to use newer parts at roughly the same price) to build. Not sure what is an equivalent case for price comparison.

If it has three 2TB hard drives, I would say it might be a decent deal, even if all you reused was the case and HDDs. (PSU doesn't seem to be 80+ but might be)

Currently on NewEgg, Western Digital WD Green WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive is $110, so if you bought it, and gutted the case for new mobo/cpu/RAM/PSU, you would still save some money.
thanks for the answer i guss ill go for it and i can always upgrade the mobo cpu and ram later on
after ill play around and get to know unraid better
Catalytic likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Except for lack of warranty, I guess this looks like a good deal... at least you can consider this as getting 3 x 2T drives for $300...
The CPU, RAM and mobo can be upgraded down the road if necessary...
Catalytic likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 149
It's not a bad deal for the overall hardware package. Too bad it doesn't come with a valid unRAID license because it would be a real bargain then.

The beauty of unRAID is that you don't need powerful hardware to run it. The only thing I'd be wary of is if the Gigabyte motherboard has the HPA issue. I had a Gigabyte board in my unRAID setup and it worked great until I tried to upgrade it to the latest 5.0-rc version. The HPA masked part of the drive and wouldn't let me use the drive with 5.0-rc until I found a way to clear it off the drive. I eventually ended up replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. It boots much faster now, but I see no difference in how the server works except for the updated UI with 5.0-rc.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

It's not a bad deal for the overall hardware package. Too bad it doesn't come with a valid unRAID license because it would be a real bargain then.

The beauty of unRAID is that you don't need powerful hardware to run it. The only thing I'd be wary of is if the Gigabyte motherboard has the HPA issue. I had a Gigabyte board in my unRAID setup and it worked great until I tried to upgrade it to the latest 5.0-rc version. The HPA masked part of the drive and wouldn't let me use the drive with 5.0-rc until I found a way to clear it off the drive. I eventually ended up replacing the motherboard, CPU, and memory. It boots much faster now, but I see no difference in how the server works except for the updated UI with 5.0-rc.

thank you for your answer the server is running version 4.5 of unraid i guss i will check if i can disable HPA in the bios before upgrading to the latest version of unraid
if there is no such option in the bios i guss its just another reason to upgrade mb cpu and ram

post #7 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsfreak88 View Post

thank you for your answer the server is running version 4.5 of unraid i guss i will check if i can disable HPA in the bios before upgrading to the latest version of unraid
if there is no such option in the bios i guss its just another reason to upgrade mb cpu and ram
You might want to check and see if your Gigabyte board actually has the HPA issue. Most newer models aren't afflicted with it anymore AFAIK. You could easily check and see by upgrading the unRAID software to the latest 5.0-rc version and then check the drive status. If the HPA is present on any drive it will show an error indicating that the reported size and the actual size of the affected drive don't match. If you don;t have the error you're home free. If you do, there are fixes available to correct it. Of course, you should definitely check the BIOS to see if there's an option listed to disable it. Mine didn't have such an option yet the HPA issue kept reoccurring, which is what prompted me to upgrade my hardware.

FYI - upgrading the unRAID software is just a matter of copying a couple of files over to the flash drive from another PC. Just map the flash drive like any other drive in Windows Explorer and copy the files. You can revert to any version of unRAID at any time using ther same method. Just reboot the server once you've copied the files over and it will boot to whatever version you just installed on the flash drive. I highly recommend checking out the latest 5.0-rc release as it has far more features than the released version (currently 4.7, I believe).
post #8 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You might want to check and see if your Gigabyte board actually has the HPA issue. Most newer models aren't afflicted with it anymore AFAIK. You could easily check and see by upgrading the unRAID software to the latest 5.0-rc version and then check the drive status. If the HPA is present on any drive it will show an error indicating that the reported size and the actual size of the affected drive don't match. If you don;t have the error you're home free. If you do, there are fixes available to correct it. Of course, you should definitely check the BIOS to see if there's an option listed to disable it. Mine didn't have such an option yet the HPA issue kept reoccurring, which is what prompted me to upgrade my hardware.

FYI - upgrading the unRAID software is just a matter of copying a couple of files over to the flash drive from another PC. Just map the flash drive like any other drive in Windows Explorer and copy the files. You can revert to any version of unRAID at any time using ther same method. Just reboot the server once you've copied the files over and it will boot to whatever version you just installed on the flash drive. I highly recommend checking out the latest 5.0-rc release as it has far more features than the released version (currently 4.7, I believe).
thank you for all the help i am gona be picking up the server tomorrow and start playing with it
from my research the MB version in the server i am buying is 4.0 and u can disable HPA in bios so i think i got lucky
now do u think u should wipe the drives and do a fresh install on unraid or should i just upgrade from 4.5 to 5.0

post #9 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
2TB drives might currently be $110 at newegg, but 3TB Seagate drives were $90 on Black Friday

Used hard drives shouldn't be compared to new. I've bought 3TB and 4TB drives off of Craigslist, and I'd never pay 70% of market value for them

For used hardware and an obsolete mobo/chipset, I'd say your getting a fair price. It's not a super deal, but it would be good value if you're not looking to build for yourself
post #10 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 02:19 PM

Liked: 16
Just be careful with that power supply if you choose to add more drives. I've got a couple of them and they're an older design that doesn't supply a lot of 12v power. If you compared it to a modern Corsair 430 watt PSU the corsair would be able to power more drives since it supplies most of it's rated wattage at 12V vs. the Thermaltake that is rated much lower at 12V.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thank you for all the help i am gona be picking up the server tomorrow and start playing with it
from my research the MB version in the server i am buying is 4.0 and u can disable HPA in bios so i think i got lucky
now do u think u should wipe the drives and do a fresh install on unraid or should i just upgrade from 4.5 to 5.0
UnRAID installs on a bootable USB flash drive. You simply copy the files over to the drive and make it the first boot device in your BIOS. If you're starting with a new flash drive I believe you have to make it bootable first using a utility downloaded from the HP website called the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (google it). There should be instructions for configuring the flash drive either on the Lime Technology website, the unRAID forums, or the documentation in the wiki. There used to be instructions for upgrading to a newer version included with the file downloads but I think they stopped including them in the newer versions. Check one of the older versions for the instructions if you can't find them.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

UnRAID installs on a bootable USB flash drive. You simply copy the files over to the drive and make it the first boot device in your BIOS. If you're starting with a new flash drive I believe you have to make it bootable first using a utility downloaded from the HP website called the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (google it). There should be instructions for configuring the flash drive either on the Lime Technology website, the unRAID forums, or the documentation in the wiki. There used to be instructions for upgrading to a newer version included with the file downloads but I think they stopped including them in the newer versions. Check one of the older versions for the instructions if you can't find them.
yeah there is already a bootable usb stick installed with unraid 4.5 my question is what do u think is better to upgrade to version 5.0 of unraid
or format the 3x 2tb drives and start from fresh with version 5.0 of unraid
the guy i am buying the server from already have it running unraid 4.5

post #13 of 14 Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff99 View Post

Just be careful with that power supply if you choose to add more drives. I've got a couple of them and they're an older design that doesn't supply a lot of 12v power. If you compared it to a modern Corsair 430 watt PSU the corsair would be able to power more drives since it supplies most of it's rated wattage at 12V vs. the Thermaltake that is rated much lower at 12V.
thanks for the heads up i guss ill be upgrading it as soon as i add more drives

post #14 of 14 Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah there is already a bootable usb stick installed with unraid 4.5 my question is what do u think is better to upgrade to version 5.0 of unraid
or format the 3x 2tb drives and start from fresh with version 5.0 of unraid
the guy i am buying the server from already have it running unraid 4.5
Make a backup of the files on the USB stick and then upgrade to 5.0-rc and give it a try. It's a much better UI with extra features than any of the 4.x versions. You can always revert back to 4.5 if you want. If you decide to stick with a 4.x version then I'd at least upgrade to the latest stable version, which I believe is 4.7.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page