What happens to my sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have an issue I have Google'd about, and have founds others with the same problem, but no solution.

HTPC stays on 24/7, and right now I *think* I have all power management turned off (ie, my HDDs don't go to sleep, etc)

TV, however, gets turned off, or switched to another input (say DVD player, or Roku, or cable)

When the TV is turned off or switched to another input, the HTPC loses sound. So, if I switch to the Roku for a while, when I switch back to the HTPC, I have a red X on my speaker in the system tray. Right now, our solution is to unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the PC and then plug it back in.

Is there another solution for this???

TV is Samsung PN42B450 http://reviews.us.samsung.com/7463/PN42B450B1DXZA/samsung-pn42b450-42-720p-plasma-hdtv-2009-model-reviews/reviews.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 153
You need to list all your hardware.

well anyway sounds like you might have an ATI card, if so you need to change drivers.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

You need to list all your hardware.

well anyway sounds like you might have an ATI card, if so you need to change drivers.

Ignore the prices, I just copied my build from another thread:

Four Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare x $96.51 each $386.04
Rosewill Challenger case $39.99
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $49.99
Two DVD Burners $19.99 each $39.98
AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7540D $74.99 (minus $10 for combo with mobo) $64.99
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $59.99
Crucial Ballistix BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S0 Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 240-pin DIMM, 1.5V $27.99
Windows 7 64 bit $79.99
Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad $22.99
post #4 of 8 Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
First and importantly do you have the AMD HDMI Audio driver loaded and as your default audio device? What does your PC see when you switch the TV to another HDMI input? e.g. do you have a second monitor/speakers connected & configured? CLEARLY you're only using 2-ch stereo TV speaker audio as well... You need to set teh CCC to NOT auto-detect the EDID, thus it won't care what it's connected to. Also, which CCC are you running - 12.6 at least and there's a new driver set -- go looking in AMD for an APU driver suite for your Win 7 64-bit and see how that helps. I just loaded it on a small E-350 (HD 6310) nettop I have which improved my graphics WEI scores!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

First and importantly do you have the AMD HDMI Audio driver loaded and as your default audio device?

I installed the HD sound driver that came with my motherboard. My current HD audio driver is version 7.12.0.7706 dated 2/23/12, and it is set as default.
Quote:

What does your PC see when you switch the TV to another HDMI input? e.g. do you have a second monitor/speakers connected & configured?

I do not have another monitor attached. All I have to connect monitors is HDMI cables, and if I unplug from the TV to plug into a monitor, it fixed the problem. (Sorry we are stationed here temporarily, so 75% of our stuff, including my extra monitors and different connector cables, are packed and in storage)
Quote:

CLEARLY you're only using 2-ch stereo TV speaker audio as well... You need to set teh CCC to NOT auto-detect the EDID, thus it won't care what it's connected to. Also, which CCC are you running - 12.6 at least and there's a new driver set -- go looking in AMD for an APU driver suite for your Win 7 64-bit and see how that helps. I just loaded it on a small E-350 (HD 6310) nettop I have which improved my graphics WEI scores!

Hmmmm....CCC is Catalyst Control Center? If so, I don't have that on the HTPC, I have AMD Vision Engine Control Center, version 2012.0504.1554.26509. I don't find any options for EDID (I don't know what that is, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the Vision panel) Can I switch to CCC?

Thanks for your assistance!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I ran into a similar issue Catalytic. On my htpc the microsoft drivers kept being installed I had to go to device manager and manually uninstall the audio drivers and then re-install the amd driver package. The other issue is that microsoft seems to randomly set your desktop to 1024x768 when you put the computer in standby and when the monitor/hdtv is disconnected this *should* change back to your default resolution but doesn't always. The only fix I could find for this was a registry setting.I will edit my post when I find the registry entry again.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-16-2013, 09:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalytic View Post

I have an issue I have Google'd about, and have founds others with the same problem, but no solution.

HTPC stays on 24/7, and right now I *think* I have all power management turned off (ie, my HDDs don't go to sleep, etc)

TV, however, gets turned off, or switched to another input (say DVD player, or Roku, or cable)

When the TV is turned off or switched to another input, the HTPC loses sound. So, if I switch to the Roku for a while, when I switch back to the HTPC, I have a red X on my speaker in the system tray. Right now, our solution is to unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the PC and then plug it back in.

Is there another solution for this???

TV is Samsung PN42B450 http://reviews.us.samsung.com/7463/PN42B450B1DXZA/samsung-pn42b450-42-720p-plasma-hdtv-2009-model-reviews/reviews.htm

I had the same issue as well. Every time I turned my television back on, while the PC was on, the HDMI audio out option was nowhere to be found. I updated the bios and all drivers using MSI live update and AMD's Autodetect software from their website. Sound is now working when I turn my television back on.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm using an HD 6450 to supply video to the TV via HDMI, but am using SPDIF motherboard audio going to the AVR. The SPDIF audio got disabled almost every day when I turned on the system. IIRC I rolled back the mobo audio driver to the basic Microsoft version & this solved the problem. If updating your driver does not solve the problem maybe you might want to try an older version.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page