Question about gfx cards, framerates, and 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to upgrade the graphics card in my current htpc (an nvidia 8800gt) to a newer model, but I would like to keep things relatively inexpensive. There are a few features I am hoping to achieve.

1) Use hdmi so that my lossless surround sound and video come through the same cable, and with better bandwidth for the sound (I have had audio dropouts for moments here and there on the toslink connection I currently use for surround sound)

2) Playback smoothly at 24 fps. This is a problem currently with my 8800gt, as I get random screen tearing and glitching if I switch the output to 24p and then proceed to watch a movie. I use a JVC rs46 projector that fully supports 24p and this looks great coming out of a bluray player such as a ps3, but I have all kinds of weird glitches on the 8800gt unless I keep things at 60p, which I don't like for movies as their native framerate is 24p and I would love to get rid of the weird cadence correction going on.

3) Allow for 3D support with my new JVC that also supports 3d.

I was wondering if anybody had the best go to graphics cards to achieve these goals at a nice and low price point. I wouldn't say gaming is completely out of the cards, but it isn't nearly as high of a priority as these other issues. Also, for some reason I seem to prefer nvidia, but I would hear examples of ATI alternatives. Also, if anyone can explain to me why my older card CAN handle 60p, but screen tears like crazy at a lower framerate of 24p, I would love the explanation. Thanks in advance for any help in the matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

I figured I would also quickly mention my HTPC is in a conventional tower case that is hidden in an equipment closet so size and fan noise are of 0 concern.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Would love some help with this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page