Basic network setup question in preperation for future HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Right now I have a wireless N router with gigabit (trendnet tew-639) on the first floor and a home theater in the basement. The basement system has an Onkyo (tr-nx609) hardwired and a bluray and smart tv that use the wireless n. I want to add a gigabit switch in the basement and then hardwire the receiver, bluray, and TV. In the future I plan on adding a NAS and likely an android based media device (one of those crappy ones that doesn't support everything as a starting point). I really don't like the idea of using a wireless connection for non mobile devices. Every time a youtube video buffers I have to ask myself if it's the source, my isp, network congestion, poor wireless N signal, too many wireless devices on the router at once....

If I simply connect a gigabit switch in the basement through one of the ports on the upstairs router will all of my devices have the ability to access the internet as well as communicate with the NAS and wireless devices such as shared media on my laptop?

Would it make a difference if the NAS went on the upstairs router or the switch in the basement where the streaming devices will be? TV, bluray, and receiver all support dlna streaming from network devices. Crappy android streamer will move to the upstairs non smart tv if I decide to build a dedicated HTPC in the future.

Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum to ask this but I know you cant set up a HTPC without knowing how to set up a network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Hi,

Yes, a switch in the basement wired to the router will allow things in the basement to be wired to the switch which then gives them access to the router which then gives them access to the internet (and other devices on the LAN). A switch in the basement will not have any effect on wireless devices in the basement because those devices will still be accessing the wireless part of the router.

Note: other than the connection between the potential NAS and the potential HTPC I don't see any devices that can take advantage of a gigabit switch. A 10/100 switch (cheaper) would be all that is required. A gigabit switch can only take advantage of the speed if 2 gigabit-capable network devices are involved and the only time that will come into play is when transferring large files. For serving/streaming media, it will have no effect.

The important consideration will be getting enough ports on the switch to satisfy current and future needs. 1 port = 1 device.

Bob
post #3 of 9 Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmcgee View Post

The important consideration will be getting enough ports on the switch to satisfy current and future needs. 1 port = 1 device.

Plus one port from the switch to the router.

No need to not get a Gigabit switch since they cost hardly anything extra over a 10/100.

All devices connected to a common switch will communicate with each other at that switch's speed. If you have devices connected to your router, all those devices on the switch have to share the one port connection to the router. If you have a NAS connected to your router and all your other devices on the switch then all your devices will have to share the one port to the router's switch. Not a big deal in your case with a Gigabit switch, but with a 10/100 switch your devices would have to split a maximum of 100.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-12-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmcgee View Post

A switch in the basement will not have any effect on wireless devices in the basement because those devices will still be accessing the wireless part of the router.

Note: other than the connection between the potential NAS and the potential HTPC I don't see any devices that can take advantage of a gigabit switch. A 10/100 switch (cheaper) would be all that is required. A gigabit switch can only take advantage of the speed if 2 gigabit-capable network devices are involved and the only time that will come into play is when transferring large files. For serving/streaming media, it will have no effect.

Thank you for the response.

The switch in the basement will have an effect on the wireless devices in the basement because the bluray and tv would both abandon the wireless N connections in favor of wired gigabit connections to the switch.

A 10/100 switch isn't an option for 2 reasons. First is price. I'm cheap but a gigabit switch will not break the bank. Were talking $30-40 for something that suits my needs.

The second reason is that I eventually plan on having the ability to stream from my NAS to the theater in the basement as well as the family room on the first floor. This means that the router and switch will need a gigabit connection at the same time based on where I locate the equipment. IE: NAS upstairs streaming through the router to the switch then to the streaming device.

I feel like I have a big advantage in that I do not have an established audio and video collection on a digital storage device. I am hoping I can get away with a cheap android streamer (initially) that doesn't support as many video standards because as I "rip" my movies and cd's I can make sure to only convert to formats that my devices support. My real issue is the interface that these streamers use as I understand they do not yet support elegant packages such as XBMC.

A final note, Thank you again. With just the first response all of my questions are answered. I can move foreward. I know that a HTPC can mean a $50 streamer, up to more than I could imagine. Right now my only focus is the core infrastructure for the network. I consider a wireless connection a perfectly acceptable option for something like transferring a gigantic bluray rip to the NAS but for reliable transfer of anything that I am watching I only want gigabit. I don't care if it's youtube or 3d bluray playback. I see no reason to use wireless on stationary equipment.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Today I ordered an 8 port gigabit switch from newegg for $20 (refurbed d-link). I also ordered some Cat 6 ethernet cables and a toslink from monoprice. I'm looking pretty seriously at the minix neo x5 for streaming. Now I just need to pull the trigger on my NAS which will be the first major investment into my network infrastructure. I'm thinking a 2 bay entry level unit with 2, 1 or 2 terabyte drives configured as a raid to mirror each other.

I know it should probably go in a new thread but features should I be looking for in a NAS?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

My planning may have a flaw. I installed the gig switch in the basement the other day. Every device currently connected to the switch is 10/100. My switch in the basement reports the port connecting it to the upstairs router as gigabit. However, the upstairs router shows the connection to the switch as 10/100. Does this mean that if I put the NAS on the upstairs router that devices on the downstairs switch will be limited to 10/100 transfer speed when using the NAS?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

How does the router show the speed of the switch? It should show the speed of the devices which is 10/100. A gbit devices on the gbit switch connected to the router should be gbit,.

post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

The router shows an orange light for the port that goes to the switch indicating 100. The only gig equip i own is the router and switch so I guess it doesn't matter at this point but if i put a gig nas on the router and a gig computer on the switch will the non gig equipment....

Never mind the long drawn out version, can gigabit and 10/100 exist on the switch at there rated connect speeds (100 and 1000 at the same time across the same port going to the router)?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post

The router shows an orange light for the port that goes to the switch indicating 100. The only gig equip i own is the router and switch so I guess it doesn't matter at this point but if i put a gig nas on the router and a gig computer on the switch will the non gig equipment....

Never mind the long drawn out version, can gigabit and 10/100 exist on the switch at there rated connect speeds (100 and 1000 at the same time across the same port going to the router)?

Yes.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page