How do you deal with music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Since I greatly overestimated the amount of HDD space I would need for my DVDs (mainly because I greatly underestimated how many DVDs my oldest two kids filched when they left home!), my husband wants me to put our music collection (HUGE, we have an external HDD that is packed full, can't remember if it's 250GB or 500GB) on the HTPC.

Is there a way to pull metadata for music like MCM does for movies/TV shows?

What is the best way to manage music?

Is there any way I can convert my iTunes purchases to MP3? Hmmm, the songs I am DL'ing now seem to be mp4? At any rate, WMC plays them fine, so maybe I don't need to do any converting? (I haven't purchased from iTunes in several years, my account got hacked 2010 and I've left it alone since then, but I would like to get the music back!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM

Liked: 17
My music collection is probably not as extensive as yours, but I've got something around 17,000 mp3's. I'm probably more meticulous than most, but I actually spend the time to sort out music first into folders by artist, and then into sub folders by album title. I search Google for the proper album art & download it manually. Once that's done, I make sure to run mp3gain to level the gains across album so the volume doesn't fluctuate wildly between tracks. I've found this to be the best way to get the music to look and sound right during media center playback. Media center does not do a great job of finding the correct album art and metadata on it's own. This is the kind of thing you do during long east-coast winters. smile.gif

All my music is available from a shared folder on my server, with only me having write permissions. There is a sub folder called "playlists" for the wife & son to assemble their own custom playlists. All playlists are playable from just about anywhere on my network. I have Winamp installed on most of my PC's, but the media center PC's are exclusively windows media center. I own and regularly use an iPod nano, but I refuse to install iTunes, establish an apple account (or any other ridiculous apple BS). I use Winamp to manage the transfer and synching of all music to the iPod.
post #3 of 49 Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

You deserve a gold star for telling me about mp3gain!

I think I'm going to start out with MediaMonkey to clean up our music, then I'll probably switch to WMC.

It's always been such a daunting task (lots of doubles, unnamed songs, missing artist info, etc) that I haven't wanted to tackle it, but tonight while I was playing with MM and trying to figure out the title for a song, an epiphany hit me. My favorite app!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh...Sound Hound is AMAZING for this task. (I'm pretty much a country girl, whereas the husband prefers hard rock...so it's rough trying to figure out what's what!) AHHHHHHH, I think music organization just got a whole lot easier! (MM is pretty good about finding duplicates, and missing info)

Fortunately, most of our music is already sorted into folders like you described, so that much is done already!

Thanks very much for your assistance!
post #4 of 49 Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 593
I never seem to figure media monkey out

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 49 Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I never seem to figure media monkey out

I haven't used it in several years (I tried a few times to straighten our music out, but it gets frustrating quick. Just moving the music I had on my gaming computer, we have almost 38,000 songs (177GB!!!), and my husband swears that isn't all of our music. I still have to locate the external that has the rest of it, it's packed in a box in our garage somewhere, ugh)

Anyway, I apparently still remember a little about MM, so if you need some assistance, let me know. I used it to start deleting doubles last night, and to find title/artist of a few songs. (Well, to fill in missing info, I used Sound Hound to figure out who was singing LOL)

I'm in our last drawer of movie DVDs now, then I have to deal with the TV season DVDs, about 250 scratched DVDs (I ordered a scratch repair machine to try to save at least some of them!), and then about 300 "special" DVDs (travel, fitness, educational, etc) that don't show up on IMDB and need manual metadata done. When all that is done, then I plan to get to work on the music situation! (Unfortunately, my new term starts tomorrow, so my HTPC work will have to slow down, as I have 6 classes this term eek.gif)
post #6 of 49 Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalytic View Post

Since I greatly overestimated the amount of HDD space I would need for my DVDs (mainly because I greatly underestimated how many DVDs my oldest two kids filched when they left home!), my husband wants me to put our music collection (HUGE, we have an external HDD that is packed full, can't remember if it's 250GB or 500GB) on the HTPC.

Is there a way to pull metadata for music like MCM does for movies/TV shows?

What is the best way to manage music?

Is there any way I can convert my iTunes purchases to MP3? Hmmm, the songs I am DL'ing now seem to be mp4? At any rate, WMC plays them fine, so maybe I don't need to do any converting? (I haven't purchased from iTunes in several years, my account got hacked 2010 and I've left it alone since then, but I would like to get the music back!)

Tag&Rename. It's $30.00, but it's the best Tagger/Renamer for music there is. I tried all the popular free ones and none come close to combining ease of use, accuracy, and functionality like Tag&Rename does.

http://www.softpointer.com/index.htm

Looky here!
post #7 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Tag&Rename. It's $30.00, but it's the best Tagger/Renamer for music there is. I tried all the popular free ones and none come close to combining ease of use, accuracy, and functionality like Tag&Rename does.

http://www.softpointer.com/index.htm

Have you tried media monkey ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried media monkey ?

Yes. It tries to be too much, sometimes a single purpose tool is best.

Looky here!
post #9 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I just use WinAmp for all of it. But I'm not OCD with Music.folder->Genre.subfolder->Artist.subfolder->Album.subfolder->Subfolder.subfolder->...->...->. 19,000+ songs and I can sort or filter them any I want in less than 1/10 second.
post #10 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM

Liked: 10
I use magicmp3tagger, it renames and tags. Then I just dump everything into a music folder on the media center and point my library for music to that folder.

If your MP3's are properly tagged they will sort out by year, genre, artist, album etc.. in media center and windows media player.

Unless you are manually opening file explorer and searching for songs to play I dont get why the folder structure is so important?

99% of the time I am playing a playlist or a year. If I want a particular song or album I just do a search in media center or media player.
post #11 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM

I use Media Monkey to manage my 20,000+ song library. It is really good software and it does a lot. I also use Music Brainz Picard if the track is not tagged at all
post #12 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

My music collection is probably not as extensive as yours, but I've got something around 17,000 mp3's. I'm probably more meticulous than most, but I actually spend the time to sort out music first into folders by artist, and then into sub folders by album title. art and metadata on it's own. This is the kind of thing you do during long east-coast winters. smile.gif

All my music is available from a shared folder on my server, with only me having write permissions.

This, plus music browser for WMC.
post #13 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 PM

I'm going to take a look at media monkey, but I am hard to please with this type of software so I might end up trying to roll my own, or extend something.
post #14 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshster View Post

If your MP3's are properly tagged they will sort out by year, genre, artist, album etc.. in media center and windows media player.

That would be why I need something to manage the collection with...they are NOT tagged properly, heck, about 5,000 songs don't even have the name of the song or the artist, they just say "Track 1" (or whatever)

I'm doing OK with MediaMonkey, I found a few scripts that are quite helpful (genre finder, field clearer, etc), so along with those and Sound Hound, I'm actually making decent headway into the mess.

I've probably deleted 1000 duplicates today...this mess all came about from 10 years of collecting from various places (used to buy songs from some place overseas for 10 cents each, and never bothered to tag them then...ripped CDs and didn't think about the 900 other CDs that were ripping into "Track 1, Track 2, etc"), the husband will copy the Music folder to take with him when he deploys, and then come back with all the music he added over that year, and yeah, it's a huge mess.
post #15 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie2000 View Post

I use Media Monkey to manage my 20,000+ song library. It is really good software and it does a lot. I also use Music Brainz Picard if the track is not tagged at all

Can you elaborate on Music Brainz Picard? What exactly does it do? (I went to the website, but I'm an airhead, so I didn't really understand what it was saying)

Like...can it listen to the track and then tag it with title, artist, genre, etc? (Assume the track has NONE of that info!)
post #16 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

WinAmp has Auto-Tag Powered by GraceNote. That will listen to a song and fill in the tag. Not always 100% right on - It picks 'Best of' albums instead of the original once in a while.
post #17 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeford View Post

I'm going to take a look at media monkey, but I am hard to please with this type of software so I might end up trying to roll my own, or extend something.

MediaMonkey seems pretty customizable, and you can create scripts to work with it. I wouldn't have the first clue about how to write a script, but if you have some knowledge about that sort of thing, they have a Wiki about it: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Introduction_To_Scripts

I did snag some scripts to use, such as fixing capitalization, finding artists that should have "The" (such as changing Beatles to The Beatles), and deleting certain fields in bulk. Also testing a genre script but it was taking forever, so I stopped it until I get the dupes out and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

WinAmp has Auto-Tag Powered by GraceNote. That will listen to a song and fill in the tag. Not always 100% right on - It picks 'Best of' albums instead of the original once in a while.

Cool, importing my library into WinAmp now to check out Auto-Tag. I can live with the wrong album, I am toying with the idea of removing the album folders altogether, because they seem kind of pointless when you have a song that's on 4 or 5 albums :-/ Thinking of just going to F:\Music\Artist\songs instead.
post #18 of 49 Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

You're another one who gets a gold star! Auto-Tag is AMAZING!!!!!!! Oh my goodness, I am IN LOVE! Now...question, MM will rename my file with the metadata info (say for example, originally it was "Track01.mp3" and I fill in metadata to say it's "Lady" by Kenny Rogers. MM will change the file name to "Kenny Rogers - Lady" and move it to the Kenny Rogers folder. Originally it was in the Unknown folder)

Is it possible to do that with WinAmp? (I didn't see anywhere to tell it to do that in the Options, but I might be missing it)
post #19 of 49 Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Can you elaborate on Music Brainz Picard? What exactly does it do? (I went to the website, but I'm an airhead, so I didn't really understand what it was saying)

Like...can it listen to the track and then tag it with title, artist, genre, etc? (Assume the track has NONE of that info!)
I'm not sure HOW it works exactly, sounds pretty similar to GraceNote. I just drag some songs into it, hit scan, and then it tells me what song it thinks it is. The results are even color coded, green means that it's pretty confident, yellow and red means it is less confident. But I really hate how when it assigns an album it usually assigns a compilation instead of the original album.

But I still have about 500 GB of music to tag and organize, maybe I'll try Winamp with GraceNote.
post #20 of 49 Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're another one who gets a gold star! Auto-Tag is AMAZING!!!!!!! Oh my goodness, I am IN LOVE! Now...question, MM will rename my file with the metadata info (say for example, originally it was "Track01.mp3" and I fill in metadata to say it's "Lady" by Kenny Rogers. MM will change the file name to "Kenny Rogers - Lady" and move it to the Kenny Rogers folder. Originally it was in the Unknown folder)

Is it possible to do that with WinAmp? (I didn't see anywhere to tell it to do that in the Options, but I might be missing it)
I don't think so, but most any re-naming program can.
post #21 of 49 Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I just use Zune for my collection of 48,000 songs. It works just fine. What do you guys mean when you say you have to "tag and organize" your music files?

I have a good bit of duplicates(about 5000 total), and I never see them.

post #22 of 49 Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie2000 View Post

I'm not sure HOW it works exactly, sounds pretty similar to GraceNote. I just drag some songs into it, hit scan, and then it tells me what song it thinks it is. The results are even color coded, green means that it's pretty confident, yellow and red means it is less confident. But I really hate how when it assigns an album it usually assigns a compilation instead of the original album.

But I still have about 500 GB of music to tag and organize, maybe I'll try Winamp with GraceNote.

I think I hit some sort of limit with the Auto-Tag last night. It worked great for a while and then it started just putting in whatever metadata I had, darn it. Going to try your program tonight LOL.
post #23 of 49 Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

I just use Zune for my collection of 48,000 songs. It works just fine. What do you guys mean when you say you have to "tag and organize" your music files?

I have a good bit of duplicates(about 5000 total), and I never see them.

In my case, a lot of my songs either have NO info (title or artist) or only a title or only an artist, so there isn't very much info. Tagging at least lets the player know what song it is and who sings it. Organizing means I have a bajillion folders in my music file and want to clean them up (for example, I have 2Pac, 2 Pac, 2 Pac feat The Outlaws, 2 Pac feat Danny Ray, 2Pac_Danny Ray, Tupac, etc. I just want ONE folder for 2Pac, currently I have 23! (Actually, the husband and I don't even like 2Pac, LOL, this is likely music from my daughter's teen years) But it's like that for a lot of my artists. Folder structure doesn't really matter to the players, I guess, but it bugs me. A lot of time, I won't use a player when I want to listen to a specific song, I'll just go find it in the music folder and start it there, so I see all the messed up folders a lot :-/

Last night when I was working on deleting duplicates, I had 17 (17!!!) copies of "Let it Be" by The Beatles. Ummm, I don't need to waste HDD space on THAT MANY copies of ONE song lol.
post #24 of 49 Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Musicbrainz picard is good in that there is a good level of uniformity in how things are done.

There are many ways to use the software... you can let it scan the tracks and find a best match and then you clean up the bits it got wrong, or you do the search for the correct album match on the musicbrainz website and add the album (when you install I think it associates the web links with the software) and that way you can then just drag the folder on top of the album that has just been added and it will sort itself out.

For example, lets say you have Album ABC by artist XYZ and there are 10 tracks named Track 01 through to Track 10 without any metadata at all. You start up the musicbrainz picard program, browse to the musicbrainz website and search for XYZ after which it will list matching results, you pick the right artist and then it lists that artists releases. You can view each release to see which one is a match to the one you have (e.g. sometimes there are standard releases with say 10 tracks, an international release with a bonus track or a deluxe edition release with a bonus disc). Once you've identified the correct release you can just select it and it will show up in musicbrainz picard, you then drag that folder over and it will match up. If there are mistakes, you can drag songs individually.

The way I use the program is that I keep the ripped/acquired music in a separate folder to the folder that is shared (the shared folder contains music that is tagged correctly). I set musicbrainz picard up to move the files as they are tagged, as well as renaming the files. The move is done in such a way that it creates a new folder in my shared folder location with the format "Artist \ (year) Album [Format]"

Once it is in my shared folder, I manage the songs through foobar. As picard does not do automated replaygain tag updates on a per album basis, I have to do that additional step later. Once replaygained I will use a plugin in foobar to add albumart from sources like iTunes/Amazon/etc. The addition of cover art concludes the process and is a way for me to determine which has been tagged, checked and replaygained.

The reason for using foobar though is because picard can sometimes assign genre's that I am not happy with (I like to keep stuff in more generic genres) and sometimes the artist information is not to my liking so having the extra foobar step is just the compulsive obsessive in me.
post #25 of 49 Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM

Liked: 17
Not to hijack the forum, but have any of you audiophiles experimented with audio enhancers? I was looking at DFX audio enhancer (http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/index.php) for a while. I really liked the improvement in the sound, but I found that it caused all kinds of problems when bringing my HTPC out of S3.. I'd get no audio most of the time and have to reboot the system. Is there anything equivalent to this that is designed for media center?
post #26 of 49 Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 AM
t-c

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

Not to hijack the forum, but have any of you audiophiles experimented with audio enhancers? I was looking at DFX audio enhancer (http://www.fxsound.com/dfx/index.php) for a while. I really liked the improvement in the sound, but I found that it caused all kinds of problems when bringing my HTPC out of S3.. I'd get no audio most of the time and have to reboot the system. Is there anything equivalent to this that is designed for media center?

Try SRS Audio Essentials. It functions as a virtual sound card. Designate it as the default audio device in the Control panel Sound applet and it will process sound for any application. I've not had any problems with SRS AE.

http://www.dts.com/audioessentials/
post #27 of 49 Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What's easiest way download missing album art ?

-

post #28 of 49 Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's easiest way download missing album art ?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451474/how-do-you-deal-with-music#post_22825428

Looky here!
post #29 of 49 Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not the answer I was hoping for.

You mentioned above sometimes a single tool works best. I am wondering what the best single tool for downloading album art is ?

-

post #30 of 49 Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I am wondering what the best single tool for downloading album art is ?

Google.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page