HD Homerun Problems - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
You may also want to open a support ticket with SD to see if they can be of assistance.

http://www.silicondust.com/support/troubletickets/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

You may want to search or post here too.

post #63 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I opened a ticket with Silicon Dust on the 17th and have received no reply as of today. I cannot believe that the digital channel numbers are this hard to get. So far I bought the guide tool and Cliff Watson EPG and neither one of them help. The guide tool lists the channels I'm trying to get but I have no way to select them as I explained earlier. The EPG is very confusing and was no help at all aside from lightening my wallet $6 for the subscription.
post #64 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Ping Jason or Nick by PM over on their forum.

Post in their forum quoting the ticket number in the subject line.

Ask in your ticked what is going on.

I had quick support when I had a couple issues setting up my prime last June but they weren't rolling out a beta program at the same time too. You ticket was opened the same day the beta ProjectConnect started, BTW.

post #65 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My guess is any channels in three digits on a ClearQAM reception are unencrypted channels your cable company is placing there. Some companies will list these in their published / on-line channel lineup and others simply don't advertise they exist because they don't want folks knowing they are there and FREE! Others could be Pay-Per-View channels and/or on-demand channels which are changing daily if not hourly thus tuning scanning them may have them appear yet not consistantly over any timeframe. I'd ask: can you tune and see ALL of these 200 & 300 channels or are they simply showing up in the scan? I ask because if they aren't something you should see then simply exclude them - you only want to have those you can tune reliably in your channel lineup. Also, some cable companies place their PPV and On-Demand channels unencrypted which unless you scan the lineup while it's there you'd never know it's there.

FOCUS on the channels you should be receiving and consider anything above that a bonus, PLEASE.
post #66 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

My guess is any channels in three digits on a ClearQAM reception are unencrypted channels your cable company is placing there. Some companies will list these in their published / on-line channel lineup and others simply don't advertise they exist because they don't want folks knowing they are there and FREE! Others could be Pay-Per-View channels and/or on-demand channels which are changing daily if not hourly thus tuning scanning them may have them appear yet not consistantly over any timeframe. I'd ask: can you tune and see ALL of these 200 & 300 channels or are they simply showing up in the scan? I ask because if they aren't something you should see then simply exclude them - you only want to have those you can tune reliably in your channel lineup. Also, some cable companies place their PPV and On-Demand channels unencrypted which unless you scan the lineup while it's there you'd never know it's there.

FOCUS on the channels you should be receiving and consider anything above that a bonus, PLEASE.

All of the channels I'm trying to get are ones that I pay for. None of the channels are pay per view or on demand. If I FOCUSED on the channels I originally got I would have a total of 12. All I'm trying to do is get a list of the digital channel numbers, nothing more nothing less. None of the channels above 78 show up when I scan. I've had to manually add them in. I'm sure if I could find the correct info somewhere I could manually add them and be all set. I really don't understand the hostility. If you don't want to help then don't reply smile.gif
post #67 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
He is trying to help. Just because you pay for a channel does not mean that it is available in Clear QAM. Some (most) of your channels may be encrypted and cannot be viewed with a clear QAM tuner. I pay for Basic and Classic lineups with HD + Showtime. In clear QAM, I only get the Basic and non HD Classic channels. All other channels (for which I pay) need to be watched with a CableCard tuner.
post #68 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac11 View Post

Sorry for the confusion. All I did was replace the router with a switch. I'm still using my USB wifi adaptors for connecting.

So the tv I have in the bedroom without a cablebox just the coax screwed in gets around 160 channels, shouldn't I get the same with the homerun? That's all I'm trying to do, not trying to get something that I don't pay for.

The pay per view thing is very strange as I cannot duplicate it today. I really wish I had thought to record it or at least take a picture. Thanks for the reply smile.gif
Yup -- you already identified what you should be receiving, or at least the channels you would like to receive! Besides, all it takes is a little research and you'd have this and specifically your Metrocast channel lineup for 06340.

http://www.metrocast.com/channellineups/2013-CT.pdf
post #69 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you clarify a bit more as to which channels you are not seeing? The Digital Basic and Digital Plus tiers may have a copy once flag or be encrypted requiring a CableCARD tuner. You really need to just ask your provider to tell you which are encrypted and what the digital frequencies are so you can add them into WMC.

EDIT: If you read footnote number 2 it tells you which channels need a CableCARD, actually.

EDIT: You may want to take a look at channel 20, the Zap2it channel. I've never seen that in my line up before. Go there on the TV that is tuning and poke around there a bit too.

post #70 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Unless the TV has an Mcard slot, then I woudn't have thought they would be found in a channel scan by just screwing the cable into the back of the TV
post #71 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Alright I guess I'm not explaining what I'm trying to do. Sorry for wasting you guys time. The metrocast lineup does me absolutely no good as it doesn't list the digital channel number which I need to input into WMC so I can tune the channel in. I've already called metrocast more times than I can count, they are absolutely no help at all aside from wanting to send a tech out for a service call that I cannot afford at this time.

All of the channels I'm trying to tune in I receive them on my tv with no box or card. As far as the #2 footnote I receive all the Spanish channels on my tv and according to that chart they are listed under the #2 footnote. Actually looking at the lineup closely I also receive all of the channels listed under digital basic which again is under footnote #2. Channel 20 is a public access channel not zap2it.

None of the digital basic channels can the homerun tune in. And I'm only getting a few of the hi def channels that are in the expanded basics because I don't know the digital channel number. That's all I'm trying to find is that magical number. I know somewhere a list exists but I cannot find it.
post #72 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Call your CableCo. I did understand what you were saying, BTW.

post #73 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What channel number does your TV show? The HDHomeRun will only tune channels with dotted or dashed notations. It will not tune channel 3 (which is analog) that your tv does but it will tune channel 3.1 or 3-1
post #74 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The only ones you "should" get on a clear qam tuner in WMC should be in this list: That being said, often a cable company may or may not have other channels available in clear qam but usually don't supply psip data to auto map them in media center. According to your cable company, 2-78 and most of the 400s are also available in clear qam. Anything else may or may not be at any given time since they state a cablecard is required. I'm surprised SiliconDust doesn't have a lineup for Metrocast in your zip, is there a neighboring zip you can try that is a metrocast area? It looks like 06333 may have some of your missing channels under digital cable - not antenna- as the virtual numbers match... 30 for espn Classic, 31 for espn, 32 for espn2 ... 45 for vh1 using 133.1, 131.2, 131.3, 133.4 respectively but your area may use a different map. In theory if someone in your area has a prime, there is a feature that reports back to the lineup server the available clear qam channels to help sd provide a map to the non prime users. I do not know whether or not this is fully implemented by SD but have heard reports and people asking if they can reliably turn off the feature if they have a prime as cablecard tuners don't need the service since they get the map from the cable. Also if you know someone near you with a prime you should be able to get their map.

You are probably going to have to manually map it, prior to me getting a cablecard tuner, I used to have to do this regularly as at one time I had about 25 sd channels that had no psip data. If you think about it 3.1 in your area, according to the list I posted, would be WFSB HD however to appease those using DTAs with older analog sets they probably have a channel 3 available digitally in SD however that usually won't get any psip data as it isn't really channel 3.1.

To map these other clear qam channels, go into media center and enable all unlocked channels, these won't have any guide info yet. Then I go to my tv and press channel up and write down the channel number and the station, occasionally it takes me a while to figure out the station and I find it easier to do at the TV rather than back and forth in media center. Note: the channels in the list will be added using 2.1, 3.1 , 3.2 etc. however they will also show up at the actual channel of (let's say) 69.1, 69.2, 70.4 or whatever the physical channels actually are so there will be a few that the scan picks up that may not show up twice on your TV but will probably show up twice in media center. You will also get a few ppv and on demand that occasionally show up in a scan. There was one cable system I worked with that if a channel wasn't in use (but could be for on demand) it would be free and clear running an advertisement. If you are actually tuning the channels on your tv by keying in "204" for the cooking channel, your TV has to have some type of cablecard, dta, or stb (note: according to your cable company, many of these channels require a cablecard and by them stating this may require one at any time)... in these cases, there may be some diagnostics type menus you can display that shows the physical channel number.

To Manually add the guide listings I then bring up the guide, Right click on the channel, Edit Channel, Edit Listings, and Choose the channel that has the guide data. Personally I would choose Copy, you might get away with combine but I have seen problems when there really isn't another source with the channel… in these cases you may need to use guide tool… Otherwise, it sometimes helps if you can trick media center into thinking you have a STB and ir blaster to at least get the listings for your full lineup as I sometimes don't get the guide data for the other channels unless I do this (perhaps I accidentally chose the analog lineup in these cases, I just know without an ir blaster, it has fought me getting the lineup in the past). Then Click save and move to the next channel.
post #75 of 78 Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 AM

Liked: 10
Friends, I want to use the Asus in my Signature with the Sony TV and add an HD homerun. I understand that I need to run a 2 cables from my FIOS router, 1 for the HDHomerun and one for the ASUS. First question (that the manuf. has not answered in 4 days) is will 5 Mb/s / 4 Mb/s connection speed be sufficient? I want to view OTA only with roof antenna, I now get 40 stations, I am about 15 miles from broadcast towers in Philadelphia.
Also what specific cable should I use from the router to the jack? (router to jacks behind TV will require Approx 40 feet)
It seems I will need some sort of box that will allow me to switch the antenna between the TV and the HDhome run and maybe (??) some sort of amplifier but I am not sure what to purchase.
If I need anyting else or if this plan does make sense please let me know.. Thanks in advance, Josea

post #76 of 78 Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure you understand the HDHomeRun. It is a LAN device so you can connect it to your LAN (router's switch) anyplace in your home that is convienent to both a hardwired LAN connection and your OTA antenna. You should begin with a simple 1GH 2-way splitter to provide a branch to the HDHomeRun and only if your signal is marginal would you need any kind of amp. In fact, do a proof-of-concept without any splitter - just temporarily connect the antenna to the HDHR and see how it works! Then create a more sofistocated installation.

Secondly, your FIOS is a connection to the internet and is NOT your LAN's speed. Most are 100mbps or 1Gbps. Maybe you should post what router you have - you DO have a LAN in your house already, right?

Your Asus is a fancy laptop PC so using it as your source is only limited by the jacks it has -- if it's got HDMI you should be fine connecting it to your Sony TV... be prepared your TV will give you Stereo sound only and you never mentioned any AVR.
Josea likes this.
post #77 of 78 Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

I'm not sure you understand the HDHomeRun. It is a LAN device so you can connect it to your LAN (router's switch) anyplace in your home that is convienent to both a hardwired LAN connection and your OTA antenna. You should begin with a simple 1GH 2-way splitter to provide a branch to the HDHomeRun and only if your signal is marginal would you need any kind of amp. In fact, do a proof-of-concept without any splitter - just temporarily connect the antenna to the HDHR and see how it works! Then create a more sofistocated installation.

Secondly, your FIOS is a connection to the internet and is NOT your LAN's speed. Most are 100mbps or 1Gbps. Maybe you should post what router you have - you DO have a LAN in your house already, right?

Your Asus is a fancy laptop PC so using it as your source is only limited by the jacks it has -- if it's got HDMI you should be fine connecting it to your Sony TV... be prepared your TV will give you Stereo sound only and you never mentioned any AVR.

Thanks a lot Andrew, I am sorry for hijacking this thread but did not see one dedicated to the HomeRun 2 tuner (OTA). Yes the Asus has HDMI out and It connects perfectly whith the Sony now! (sound and 720p display). I have no room for desktop machines
I appreciate the very precise description of the HomeRun.. Router is Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I (latest available and firmware is up to date, Uunversal Plug and Play is enabled and I use DHCP), at this point I am 100% wireless but am able to run my own cables and install jacks. The router is used for FIOS internet only and I will stay with OTA for TV.
At this point no AVR.. Would love use my Marantz 4400 for sound but that is way down the road. ________________

IS $89.99 (US) with free ship a decent price for the SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US ? (AMAZON)

post #78 of 78 Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

That's about a normal price these days although they go on sale in the $65 range quite frequently. Consider the HDHomeRun as an addition to your LAN - even via wifi you should be able to watch/record - it's the HDHR itself that requires a hardwired connection. As I said, place IT where ever the OTA antenna and LAN are commonly available and viola`
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page