HD Homerun Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought a HD Homerun Dual and spent all day yesterday trying to get it setup properly. The problem is I can't get WMC to tune the correct channels. On the Homerun setup I get 68 channels that work perfect. In WMC I get 12 and they look like crap.

I've tried manually adding the channels into WMC and it will not tune them in. This is on a fresh Widows 8 install with media center. I spent last night searching google and found a lot of hits but none worked. My wife would be very grateful if someone could help me out smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 AM
t-c

Liked: 16
I would suggest filing a trouble ticket with Silicondust and/or posting in the WMC HDHomeRun forum. http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35 SD staff have all been at CES so there might be a backup in responding to support tickets.

I read through a few posts that described problems similar to yours where WMC fails to see some or all of the channels that are listed in HDHomeRun Setup or QuickTV, and there did not seem to be a universal solution.

It appears that in some cases, the cable operator does not send certain channel identifiers that WMC requires and the channels have to be added manually. In other cases a firmware update to the HDHR Dual resolved the problem for the user.
post #3 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

First thanks t-c for the reply. I finally got it working somehow. Now I have another damn problem. If I leave the HD Homerun plugged in I have no wifi connection. So I can't complete the WMC setup because of no wifi connection.

So how do I have wifi and the tuner running at the same time? It's either one or the other. This is turning into a MAJOR pain frown.gif
post #4 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had no internet access at home when I setup WMC on my laptop. When WMC asked about my internet connection, I took my laptop to a local Starbuck and finished the setup there. I think you can turn off the HD Homerun (if it is causing the no wifi problem) when you set up WMC.
post #5 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac11 View Post

... If I leave the HD Homerun plugged in I have no wifi connection. So I can't complete the WMC setup because of no wifi connection.

So how do I have wifi and the tuner running at the same time? It's either one or the other. This is turning into a MAJOR pain frown.gif

Assuming this wasn't an issue before the HDHR2, and that is the only piece of equipment added in your home, move the HDHR2 to a new location. I haven't had the issue myself, but from your information, you're implying the HDHR is giving off radio interference. Equipment doesn't need WiFi or an antenna to give off radio interfernce such as refrigerators. I had it once with a VOIP' adapter DHCP client and the adapter has no WiFI connection possible.
post #6 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

Assuming this wasn't an issue before the HDHR2, and that is the only piece of equipment added in your home, move the HDHR2 to a new location. I haven't had the issue myself, but from your information, you're implying the HDHR is giving off radio interference. Equipment doesn't need WiFi or an antenna to give off radio interfernce such as refrigerators. I had it once with a VOIP' adapter DHCP client and the adapter has no WiFI connection possible.

Its not interference, it just disconnects. IE if the Homerun is plugged in alone it works fine, if the wifi adaptor is plugged in alone it works. If I'm on the internet and plug in the Homerun it automatically disconnects the wifi adaptor and vise versa. I'm going on about 15 hours and still not done. Silicon Dust has yet to reply 22 hours later. Didn't really expect them to that's why I looked here for help.
post #7 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Its not interference, it just disconnects. IE if the Homerun is plugged in alone it works fine, if the wifi adaptor is plugged in alone it works. If I'm on the internet and plug in the Homerun it automatically disconnects the wifi adaptor and vise versa. I'm going on about 15 hours and still not done. Silicon Dust has yet to reply 22 hours later. Didn't really expect them to that's why I looked here for help.

Are you connecting the HDHR directly to your HTPC or to your router? If to your HTPC, are you trying the bridge the two networks? If so, don't. It's not necessary.
post #8 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

Are you connecting the HDHR directly to your HTPC or to your router? If to your HTPC, are you trying the bridge the two networks? If so, don't. It's not necessary.

The Homerun is connected to a router. My wifi adaptor is USB. As soon as I plug in the cable from the router it disables the wifi connection. If the Homerun is working and I plug in wifi the Homerun throws up a message saying no available tuner ? Thanks for the replies so far smile.gif
post #9 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Are you all DHCP on the router? I recall SD needs DHCP not static addressing. Seems your USB wifi may be grabbing the address DHCP'd to the HDHomeRun.
post #10 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

Are you all DHCP on the router? I recall SD needs DHCP not static addressing. Seems your USB wifi may be grabbing the address DHCP'd to the HDHomeRun.

Please explain..you lost me bigtime frown.gif
post #11 of 78 Old 01-13-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The Homerun is connected to a router. My wifi adaptor is USB. As soon as I plug in the cable from the router it disables the wifi connection. If the Homerun is working and I plug in wifi the Homerun throws up a message saying no available tuner ? Thanks for the replies so far smile.gif

Le me take another stab. Is the only thing connected to the router your HDHR, and the router is connected to the HTPC? If so, ditch the router. There was a time you needed it for DHCP (or third party software), but I believe the software deals with that now with a direct connection.
post #12 of 78 Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

This would be my assumption, the WiFi adapter wants the same IP address as one of the HDHR tuners.  Maybe try an ipconfig /release while the WiFi adapter is connected and then shut down.  Plug in the HDHR then boot up the PC with the WiFi adapter.  This *should* force the WiFi adapter to grab a free IP address.  Unless you have the adapter configured to force to a specific IP address.

Having said all that, it should all work.  Heck I've got my router which is hardwired to 2 PCs and a printer as well as a 50 foot cable to a switch in my basement which is then hardwired to my HTPC, BluRay and HDHR.  All works great.  No WiFi adapter though.  To the OP, can you not hardwire your HTPC?  I'd go that route any day of the week vs. a WiFi adapter if I could.

Scott
post #13 of 78 Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to try all the suggestions tonight and will post back what I find. Thanks again for the help smile.gif
post #14 of 78 Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But what you're describing is exactly what happens when interference and WiFi. I'm not saying that is the problem, I'm just suggesting to try it to eliminate it from being a possibility. What you say above doesn't eliminate that it's an issue. The HDHR is wired only. So it it's plugged in, of course it's going to work when the laptop's WiFI is not there. But plugging in the WiFi adapter or HDHR and you lose your WiFI connection, makes it a possibility. Are you having the same problem if you connect your laptop via ethernet cable; I'm assuming it has a port. I think this scenario isn't likely, but it's still possible.

I also agree that you could be having an IP conflict. If you're using any kind of static IPs, just make sure it's outside the DHCP range; you can find and change this in your router. You may have to see if your router gives you a DHCP client list. Do you have any other computer connected to your LAN? It may be a good idea to look router settings using it with the laptop not connected and see that the IP the HDHR is pulling. Then you can just connect laptop and see what's it's pulling; you can do the laptop's IP on the laptop by looking in network details. If they're the same, you may be able to have both connected and just using WIndows repair option. I've had luck with it in the past clearing IPs and pulling a new one.

Nnnetheless, it's sounds more then likely your issue lies in you home network. The worse thing the HDHR does is not release a turner; just use the QuickTV and it can override and release it. But that problem doesn't occur very often in my experience.

And just so show I have a slight clue:

This is my home network. The black PC is my router and hardware firewall. The three "routers" are wireless access points. The black shelf is hold my HDRH3CC. You can see my VOIP adapter, wireless print server, modem, subwoofer, UPC battery backup with extended battery, and paper shredder. It's way more complicated than it needs to be for home usage.
post #15 of 78 Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

So I spent about 3 hours last night and got 1 out of 3 pc's working with both a wifi connection and access to the Homerun. What I did, I have no clue frown.gif So I started again this morning on the other 2 pc's. I plugged in the Homerun direct with no router, works great. The minute I connect my wifi adaptor Homerun no longer works. Its the same on boyh pc's. So I did a fresh install of windows 8 on 1 and windows 7 on the other.

Just finished up with all the updates and setting up WMC and I'm right back where I started. Neither machine will function correctly with both the Homerun and wifi adaptor connected at the same time frown.gif I checked and there doesn't seem to be any conflicts with ip addresses. Each device has its own address.

Unless I somehow get all this straightened out today I'm just going to get 2 more cable boxes and sell off all the parts I bought. So if anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know.
post #16 of 78 Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Don't quit. Fix your network.

post #17 of 78 Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

So I spent about 3 hours last night and got 1 out of 3 pc's working with both a wifi connection and access to the Homerun. What I did, I have no clue frown.gif So I started again this morning on the other 2 pc's. I plugged in the Homerun direct with no router, works great. The minute I connect my wifi adaptor Homerun no longer works. Its the same on boyh pc's. So I did a fresh install of windows 8 on 1 and windows 7 on the other.

Just finished up with all the updates and setting up WMC and I'm right back where I started. Neither machine will function correctly with both the Homerun and wifi adaptor connected at the same time frown.gif I checked and there doesn't seem to be any conflicts with ip addresses. Each device has its own address.

Unless I somehow get all this straightened out today I'm just going to get 2 more cable boxes and sell off all the parts I bought. So if anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know.

Odd configuration you have. Can you not hardwire your PCs to the network and put the HD Homeruns on a switch somewhere. If you just intend to use it for one PC why not put another ethernet card in it?

I have twoHDHRs must be five years old now. And while years ago when the digital stations were on low power they were not sensitive enough to maintain reliable locks on every chanel, they just work now. I have not touched them in years literally. They are laying on the floor behind my TV and they never hiccup. They are truly appliances. PCs come, PCs go. Displays come, Displays go.. the HD Homeruns just keep doing their thing 24x7 year in year out. I only use Wifi in the house for mobile devices. I have ethernet everywhere other than bathrooms.

Just another blank signature.
post #18 of 78 Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Odd configuration you have. Can you not hardwire your PCs to the network and put the HD Homeruns on a switch somewhere. If you just intend to use it for one PC why not put another ethernet card in it?

I have twoHDHRs must be five years old now. And while years ago when the digital stations were on low power they were not sensitive enough to maintain reliable locks on every chanel, they just work now. I have not touched them in years literally. They are laying on the floor behind my TV and they never hiccup. They are truly appliances. PCs come, PCs go. Displays come, Displays go.. the HD Homeruns just keep doing their thing 24x7 year in year out. I only use Wifi in the house for mobile devices. I have ethernet everywhere other than bathrooms.

This.

post #19 of 78 Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

The only internet access I have is thru wifi from my landlords router. I tried getting my own connection but it would cost major $$ because there is no existing wiring to the house. So my only way to connect is thru USB wifi adaptors. I have to be able to get wifi and access to my homerun and it seems impossible.

I cannot figure out why I'm having so many issues when it seems it would be easy. I know I'm missing something very obvious but after 40+ hours I can't figure it out and the wife is furious frown.gif
post #20 of 78 Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The only internet access I have is thru wifi from my landlords router. I tried getting my own connection but it would cost major $$ because there is no existing wiring to the house. So my only way to connect is thru USB wifi adaptors. I have to be able to get wifi and access to my homerun and it seems impossible.

I cannot figure out why I'm having so many issues when it seems it would be easy. I know I'm missing something very obvious but after 40+ hours I can't figure it out and the wife is furious frown.gif

That is definitely going to make things more complicated. You have two choices.

The first (and I think the harder of the two) is to have your HTPC connect to two different networks. One will be the wireless network (via USB wifi adaptor). The other will be a hardwired one using your HTPC's ethernet port, a switch, and your HDHomeRun. You're going to need some network-fu to get this working.

The second is to buy a wireless bridge to connect your hard wired network to the wireless network. You'll need a wireless bridge and a gigabit ethernet switch. You'll plug the HDHomeRun, your HTPC, and the wireless bridge into the switch. Once the bridge is configured to connect to your landlord's wireless network (which will take a little work), then your HTPC and HDHomeRun will get IP addresses assigned just like all your other wireless equipment. The HDHomeRun and your HTPC will then be able to exchange data on the wired network and you'll be able to get to the internet on your HTPC at the same time.

I had a similar setup for awhile at a place where I also had to connect to the landlord's internet connection. It was mostly stable, but the wireless bridge probably had to be rebooted a couple of times a week.
post #21 of 78 Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post

That is definitely going to make things more complicated. You have two choices.

The first (and I think the harder of the two) is to have your HTPC connect to two different networks. One will be the wireless network (via USB wifi adaptor). The other will be a hardwired one using your HTPC's ethernet port, a switch, and your HDHomeRun. You're going to need some network-fu to get this working.

The second is to buy a wireless bridge to connect your hard wired network to the wireless network. You'll need a wireless bridge and a gigabit ethernet switch. You'll plug the HDHomeRun, your HTPC, and the wireless bridge into the switch. Once the bridge is configured to connect to your landlord's wireless network (which will take a little work), then your HTPC and HDHomeRun will get IP addresses assigned just like all your other wireless equipment. The HDHomeRun and your HTPC will then be able to exchange data on the wired network and you'll be able to get to the internet on your HTPC at the same time.

I had a similar setup for awhile at a place where I also had to connect to the landlord's internet connection. It was mostly stable, but the wireless bridge probably had to be rebooted a couple of times a week.

Really appreciate the reply but I think I'm throwing in the towel. I'm currently unemployed and already spent way too much money on this project. I'll try and make up a for sale add and hopefully get back some of the cash I've spent.
post #22 of 78 Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Definitely not ideal, but windows is setup to use one connection at a time. Everything you've experienced is by design, but you should be able to get this working.

You have to decide which computer you're going to leave on all the time and connect it to the wireless network

Go to your Network and Sharing Center and click "Manage Wireless Networks"

Select the network you are connected to and choose "Adapter Properties" from the available options

The resulting dialog box should be named "Wireless Network Connection Properties"

One tab will be labeled "networking" while the other says "sharing"

Under the "sharing" tab, check the box labeled "Allow other users to connect through this computers internet connection"

Then hit apply and plug the HDHR into that computers LAN port
post #23 of 78 Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The only internet access I have is thru wifi from my landlords router. ...

Well, this makes a world of difference. What I'm thinking you can do can be tricky, but doable. If you have PC with a way of two network connections, such as WiFI and the other wired, I think you can get your Internet from your Landlord. Then, used a wired connection, but set it up as an Ad Hoc connection. Than you would use to connect the HDHR directly. I'm thinking you may be able to get a router if you have more devices that need internet connection and connect it instead. It should pull an IP and DNS off you main machine. Then it will can assign IP to the other devices. I'm not sure if you have HTPC as the main PC and HDHR on the router if they will talk to each other because I'm not certain if the two will be on the same network.

If you Landlord's router has multiple networks two distinguish between his home and the tenants, it may be easier to just hook up the HDHR to the landloard's router for your house, and then everything will be on the same network. Hopefully it includes the same TV package, so you can use one of this cable feeds for the HDHR. The HDHR will work over WiFI, but you're more susceptible to inference messing with your recordings or live TV.
post #24 of 78 Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

Well, this makes a world of difference. What I'm thinking you can do can be tricky, but doable. If you have PC with a way of two network connections, such as WiFI and the other wired, I think you can get your Internet from your Landlord. Then, used a wired connection, but set it up as an Ad Hoc connection. Than you would use to connect the HDHR directly. I'm thinking you may be able to get a router if you have more devices that need internet connection and connect it instead. It should pull an IP and DNS off you main machine. Then it will can assign IP to the other devices. I'm not sure if you have HTPC as the main PC and HDHR on the router if they will talk to each other because I'm not certain if the two will be on the same network.

If you Landlord's router has multiple networks two distinguish between his home and the tenants, it may be easier to just hook up the HDHR to the landloard's router for your house, and then everything will be on the same network. Hopefully it includes the same TV package, so you can use one of this cable feeds for the HDHR. The HDHR will work over WiFI, but you're more susceptible to inference messing with your recordings or live TV.

Using the "Share this computers connection" checkbox creates the appropriate DHCP gateway for any client to connect to the internet

Also, the OP is trying to use a Homerun dual (not a CC tuner) so they're only trying to receive OTA

Finally, lovekeiiy check your PM please smile.gif
post #25 of 78 Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Could you use a wireless router on your side of the wall as an access point then a wired network to your HDHR and PCs?
post #26 of 78 Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

The previously mentioned WES-610n would also work just fine. Can be had for $50 off ebay Linksys-WES610N

4 port wireless bridge

Unfortunately, all the connection sharing is still performed by the router, but you'd get much better performance than USB adapters. If anything, seek to return the USB adapters and get this since you'll see much better wireless performance
post #27 of 78 Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

The previously mentioned WES-610n would also work just fine. Can be had for $50 off ebay Linksys-WES610N

4 port wireless bridge

Unfortunately, all the connection sharing is still performed by the router, but you'd get much better performance than USB adapters. If anything, seek to return the USB adapters and get this since you'll see much better wireless performance

Well I made some progress today smile.gif Got 2 of the pc's working semi correct. Don't know exactly what I did but I can get wifi and use the homerun. The only problem is after restarting sometimes it takes quite a bit of fiddling and restarting to get in sync.

I don't see the difference between a router and the bridge. It seems they both kind of do the same thing? I really wish that I could just run a network cable between the landlord and myself. I measured it today and its right around 700' frown.gif

Thank all of you for giving me help and not letting me give up smile.gif
post #28 of 78 Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Basically routers have a bridge mode that needs to be turned on to work as a bridge and not a router. Typically you do not want two devices routing traffic but in bridge mode the router will forward traffic to the right device while the router is still handling it by use of the IP address table it has. If you have another router in the system they get confused about which table to use.

post #29 of 78 Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Basically routers have a bridge mode that needs to be turned on to work as a bridge and not a router. Typically you do not want two devices routing traffic but in bridge mode the router will forward traffic to the right device while the router is still handling it by use of the IP address table it has. If you have another router in the system they get confused about which table to use.

Correct with the caveat being not all routers have this mode. All dd-wrt or tomato routers support bridge mode as do some standard firmware routers like Linksys, some Belkins, surely others that I'm unaware of
Quote:

Well I made some progress today smile.gif Got 2 of the pc's working semi correct. Don't know exactly what I did but I can get wifi and use the homerun. The only problem is after restarting sometimes it takes quite a bit of fiddling and restarting to get in sync.

I don't see the difference between a router and the bridge. It seems they both kind of do the same thing? I really wish that I could just run a network cable between the landlord and myself. I measured it today and its right around 700' frown.gif

Thank all of you for giving me help and not letting me give up smile.gif

What throughput do you receive on a speedtest? Are you truly 700' from the router, or is that how long the cable would have to be in order to snake through different openings?

A wireless bridge does not route traffic. If you know the difference between a router and a switch, then you could think of the wireless bridge as a wireless switch. Like Sammy2 said, some routers also support this mode. The reason for using either a router that supports bridge mode or a dedicated wireless switch is the same as using a dedicated graphics card over the onboard graphics. A usb adapter uses some of your system resources and it's own antenna to make a network connection. A dedicated bridge (or router in bridge mode) has it's own SoC (processor, ram, wireless) running on it's own dedicated power supply.

Smallnetbuilder did a adapter/bridge roundup and Intel's PCI adapter trounced everything, but the next in line were the bridges and last place were the usb adapters

It looks a little gloomy, because none of their tests would work 700' away. It's actually quite surprising that you get any internet connection.

You probably need something like this Google Search Results
post #30 of 78 Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Even more progress smile.gif I found a Linksys switch from around 1999 that I hooked up and everything finally works hardware wise. Now I'm stuck trying to setup the software. I downloaded the Guide Tool and am trying to figure out why I can't get the channels that I am subscribed to. On the right hand side I see the channels I should receive, and on the left hand there is no listing for more than half the channels.

How do I make the channels show up? I ran WMC setup and it found 12 channels when I should be getting 179. Searched google and found what I thought was my savior (the Guide Tool) paid the $5 and somehow cannot get the channels setup.

At the very least I have three working pc's and TV's now just need to fine tune everything. In my 50 years of messing around with all kinds of crap this has to rank up there with replacing a Optispark on a LT1.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page