Any new DVR software at CES? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
t-c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Was any new DVR software announced at CES?

There was speculation that Silicondust would announce a new DVR solution along with their DLNA based "Project Connect" initiative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
t-c

Nothing new then?

This is not good given that Windows Media Center, the only DVR software that can play copy protected TV, has turned into abandonware...
post #3 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
It actually sounds like SiliconDust has some pretty big plans. They did hint at DVR, although not many specifics. I'm curious to know whether the new prime device will be able to convert copy once content to h.264.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

It actually sounds like SiliconDust has some pretty big plans. They did hint at DVR, although not many specifics. I'm curious to know whether the new prime device will be able to convert copy once content to h.264.

Do you mean an on-the-fly re-encode from mpeg2 ?? That would be a lot of oomph

My cableco 1080i content is mpeg2. I thought most other terrestrial providers were as well
post #5 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Do you mean an on-the-fly re-encode from mpeg2 ?? That would be a lot of oomph

My cableco 1080i content is mpeg2. I thought most other terrestrial providers were as well

The article says "real time adaptive transcoding", so I assume so.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

Nothing new then?

This is not good given that Windows Media Center, the only DVR software that can play copy protected TV, has turned into abandonware...

I'm guessing because Microsoft was doing DVR all the TV card companies got lazy. If ms drops out i imagine they will get on it.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

I'm guessing because Microsoft was doing DVR all the TV card companies got lazy. If ms drops out i imagine they will get on it.

All two of them?

post #8 of 10 Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My biggest worry isn't microsoft pulling out but arris getting motorola from google especially since comcast is getting about 8% of arris. I think google could have brought it to the masses (through third parties) if they chose to do so... Arris, on the other hand, though I love their products, more than moto or cisco, never seems to deal with retail , it may be that one can't walk in and buy a cable modem off the shelf any more (though select comcast areas do have them at select bestbuys so there is hope). They bought moxi and pulled it from retail, if given another year or two it would have been a legitimate challenge to tivo for those who don't want to mess with WMC and extenders. The only hope I think we will get out of that deal is they supposedly have a 6 tuner dlna/dtcp-ip capable triple play docsis 3 device that may make it to more cable systems which may in turn influence more dlna/dtcp-ip devices to come out faster (though I wonder how other operators think of now having to buy hardware from comcast in addition to the programming (though 7.85% may not be much to influence that). Since the box is also a dvr, I'm not sure whatever is streamed out will have any storage capability and I really don't want to pay the huge fees to the cable company for box/dvr rental each month).
post #9 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

My biggest worry isn't microsoft pulling out but arris getting motorola from google especially since comcast is getting about 8% of arris

Google only obtained Motorola Mobility, their set top boxes and modems are still controlled by Motorola
Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

I think google could have brought it to the masses (through third parties) if they chose to do so..

Couldn't agree more, but it seems Google (like MS before them) are heavily concered with "profit-izing" the idea rather than releasing it.

WMC is old, but it was really great for what it provided. The problem with the approach Microsoft took is profitability. The way we use Windows is not nearly as profitible as the way apple users would use the ATV. I doubt Google is interested in providing the all in approach just for the bragging rights.

On a different note, I've been just ahead of a few buyouts in recent years

Grand Central - Google Voice
Zumocast - Motorola's Motocast
Gizmo - Google's Gmail SIP Phone

Unfortunately they don't always go anywhere, i.e. SageTV
post #10 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
t-c

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

TV tuner vendors are Engineering companies and are not really structured or financed for developing and supporting complex media software like WMC.

I'm thinking that WMC 7 might go down in history as the only PC DVR software to support copy protected TV...
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page