Bluray drive yes or no advice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just built my htpc, surprisingly its pretty much done after 2/3 days. Although I spent months learning in advance.

My big question is everything is running well, my htpc is a bit hot, but quiet, and i was thinking of installing a bluray drive, but now im not sure why i would.

I could use some advice.

I rip mostly everything so its 99 percent designed to play ripped media already, the idea was if someone brings over a film, or whatever I would have a disc drive.

But I have a ps3 right below it.

And a desktop pc I burn blurays on in the same room.

Is their any benefit to a drive, or should i just put it in my ps3 if i want to watch the disc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I put a drive in with the same idea you had, but I've used it literally twice. The drive in my server gets way more use.

If you've got another Blu-ray player in the same room, like your PS3, it sounds like you don't need it. For myself and others though, a Blu-ray drive is so cheap now that I feel like you might as well put it in.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 8 Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Save your money and use the PS3 anytime you want to play from a disk. It's just easier that way IMO. I use a standalone blu-ray player when playing disks.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 167
You don't need one. Just rip using your desktop PC's drive and copy it to wherever you store your media. I could do without any optical drive in my HTPC, but I had a DVD drive so it is installed.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post

Save your money and use the PS3 anytime you want to play from a disk. It's just easier that way IMO. I use a standalone blu-ray player when playing disks.

+1
post #6 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15

I do things a little differently... I like to directly stream the BD discs I rent directly to my HTPC extenders (just pop in any disc in my HTPC server; and, the disc becomes available to any extender/room in my home for live playback).  I have more than one BD reader (cheaper and more flexible than an entire PS3), so... I can stream to multiple locations two different discs).  I only rip BDs only worthy of ripping and archiving; not because I have to (so I can play it in another room).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

I just built my htpc, surprisingly its pretty much done after 2/3 days. Although I spent months learning in advance.

My big question is everything is running well, my htpc is a bit hot, but quiet, and i was thinking of installing a bluray drive, but now im not sure why i would.

I could use some advice.

I rip mostly everything so its 99 percent designed to play ripped media already, the idea was if someone brings over a film, or whatever I would have a disc drive.

And a desktop pc I burn blurays on in the same room.

Is their any benefit to a drive, or should i just put it in my ps3 if i want to watch the disc?

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post

I agree.

If you want a drive that badly for it, I would suggest just getting an external one. You'll still have to deal with a player for the PC and so forth. The PS3 will just work unless the drive just goes out. It may have load times and annoying trailers and so forth, but it's not like many people who come over will know anything different. It's just annoying to you.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If its only for the occasional BD that someone brings over, I'd just use the PS3.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page