New Comcast Six Tuner/500GB Device? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I haven't seen news of this anywhere else: http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2020114698_ptechbrierscespicksxml.html
(scroll down to the third item)

Six tuners, 500GB, a Wifi and ethernet router, phone. I wonder what they'll charge for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wonder if this is part of the new FCC home gateway initiative that was brought up last year or so? FCC was suppose to start an initiative to make each home have an open source gateway. Then MSOs connect on the outside of the gateway; you connect your LAN to inside of the gateway and distribute to where ever you want in your house. MSO is only responsible for getting signal to the gateway. That way, your signal could be Cable, Satellite, Fios, Uverse/IPTV or whatever. The distribution to individial receiving units would be your responsibility. This is what I would much better prefer. Just send the signal to my house in an IP routable format and let me send it where I want from there. All devices then become network devices. Current PCs/HTPCs would work exactly like HD Homerun Primes do now except it could take cable, satellite, Fios, OTA and Uverse. TVs would need to remove the built in tuners and replace with something like an extender has. Extenders remain the same and only require a gateway distribution box or a PC to work off of the network.

Would be a much better architecture in my opinion. Would also allow for direct internet streaming of services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime as well.

My 2cents

EZed
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page