Are WD Green Drives Really THAT Bad as the OS Disk? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys.

I built a HTPC and everything runs smoothly, except XBMC - seems to freeze a lot requiring program or even computer restart. Could the culprit be the use of a WD Green drive as the OS disk? I am ok with splurging on a SSD but to be honest, I was less than impressed with its performance over the WD Black drive I was using previously in my main rig. Any insight is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post

Hi guys.

I built a HTPC and everything runs smoothly, except XBMC - seems to freeze a lot requiring program or even computer restart. Could the culprit be the use of a WD Green drive as the OS disk? I am ok with splurging on a SSD but to be honest, I was less than impressed with its performance over the WD Black drive I was using previously in my main rig. Any insight is appreciated.

Na they work, if you only shut down your system for windows updates you don't notice how slow they are. The main drag is that windows media center is pretty slow to launch, but eh. Once the OS boots its in ram and all your streaming services operate through your open browser so not much difference there. My HTPC runs of a single 2 TB WD green drive and I'm pretty happy with it.

Freezing and crashes could be caused by a faulty drive but if its working correctly it won't cause that. since it sounds like you have another drive sitting around swap it out, if the crashes go away then you know the problem.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

Hi guys.

My in-laws have a HTPC that has a Green drive as the OS and storage drive (too cheap to buy a SSD about a year ago when they were much more expensive) that I built for them. I also have 2 friends that have HTPCs that I have built for them that are now 2-3 years old that also have Green drives for the OS.

I haven't heard or seen any of the issues from them that you are describing. I also use the in-laws HTPC quite a bit when I am there to update it and haven't noticed any issues at all.

My first few HTPCs also used only Green drives and again, no issues (I am still using the drives from those systems as storage).

That's been my first-hand experience. YMMV.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I also opted to stick with a 2TB WD Green as the only drive to save money. I was skeptical the drive itself could cause the issues as well; time to start looking at drivers/maybe an OS update (I'm still on WinXP). Thanks!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 4 of the 2TB models in RAID 5 in my HTPC as my stroage drive. I had 1 failure in the last 2 yrs, they are fine for serving out my media but my OS is on a WD raptor.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

Thanks guys. I also opted to stick with a 2TB WD Green as the only drive to save money. I was skeptical the drive itself could cause the issues as well; time to start looking at drivers/maybe an OS update (I'm still on WinXP). Thanks!

How are you using XBMC? If your getting some freeze ups while using new PVR addons, then it's not the drive.

I'm on Frodo RC3, and Videos, Music, Pictures, menus, etc are all working fine but the Live TV portion has led to a lion's share of freeze-ups. It's not completely refined yet, but if you are getting freezes in your main content libraries like videos, music, etc then you've got a problem.

Check out XBMCbuntu or OpenELEC as well. Cheaper than an OS upgrade depending on your know-how and other intended uses for the HTPC
post #7 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshster View Post

I have 4 of the 2TB models in RAID 5 in my HTPC as my stroage drive. I had 1 failure in the last 2 yrs, they are fine for serving out my media but my OS is on a WD raptor.

Interesting, I thought the green drives were notorious for not working well for RAID arrays?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

How are you using XBMC? If your getting some freeze ups while using new PVR addons, then it's not the drive.

I'm on Frodo RC3, and Videos, Music, Pictures, menus, etc are all working fine but the Live TV portion has led to a lion's share of freeze-ups. It's not completely refined yet, but if you are getting freezes in your main content libraries like videos, music, etc then you've got a problem.

Check out XBMCbuntu or OpenELEC as well. Cheaper than an OS upgrade depending on your know-how and other intended uses for the HTPC

I'm strictly (for now) using XBMC for tvshows and movies only. Eventually I'm going to download the add-ons for netflix, youtube, etc. But I'm currently using my PS3 for netflix. I'm using Eden with Aeon skin (per the Assassin guide). Freezing happens only when I'm "doing something" - navigating the menus excessively or hitting escape while viewing media and then navigating the menus. Strange and inconsistent, but often enough to warrant some delving into.

Could it be a memory issue? I'm maxed out on a 32bit system (3.33gig of memory).
post #8 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

Interesting, I thought the green drives were notorious for not working well for RAID arrays?
I'm strictly (for now) using XBMC for tvshows and movies only. Eventually I'm going to download the add-ons for netflix, youtube, etc. But I'm currently using my PS3 for netflix. I'm using Eden with Aeon skin (per the Assassin guide). Freezing happens only when I'm "doing something" - navigating the menus excessively or hitting escape while viewing media and then navigating the menus. Strange and inconsistent, but often enough to warrant some delving into.

Could it be a memory issue? I'm maxed out on a 32bit system (3.33gig of memory).

It could be memory related, but it seems very unlikely. It's hard to say without really looking at the complete overall usage. If your HDD activity light is going wild during these random events, then it probably is memory related. If you cap your available 3.33 the pagefile starts up and everything begins offloading to that green drive. It will make a slideshow of most computers until the page is emptied back into available RAM. Upping your RAM isn't a possibility, but it's more likely a memory bandwidth problem than a memory size problem. The only plausible "quick" fix for that would be a ready-boost enabled USB drive
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page