ripping quality for dvds/blu-ray - folder vs. mkv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is ripping to a folder structure better audio and/or video quality than ripping to mkv (not compressed)? looking for absolute best quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Audio Video quality has nothing to do with the "structure".
post #3 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
We have had this debate many times.

Despite both being exact copies MKV amazingly is a little smaller file for whatever reason when both are full rips. Both are exactly the same otherwise. I prefer MKV.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Of course it is. You have stripped away the menus, intros, trailers etc.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Of course it is. You have stripped away the menus, intros, trailers etc.

No. I am talking about just the movie.

If you take an iso and a MKV of just the movie the MKV for whatever reason is a little smaller.

(I realize this is a little different than what the OP was asking)
post #6 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post

is ripping to a folder structure better audio and/or video quality than ripping to mkv (not compressed)? looking for absolute best quality

As was implied, no difference in video or audio quality. There are other benefits that each has over the other, but that will be a personal preference. Like others, I prefer MKV
post #7 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As everyone as already mentioned no difference in audio or video quality.

MKV - Superior compatibility for streaming to other devices, if you just want the main movie then use MKV.
Folder Structure - Contains menus/trailers/special features - If these matter to you at all then use this, if not then use MKV.

My preference (unlike others) is ISO/Folder Structure, as I like to sometimes view the menus/special features and can still play the main movie if needed, I don't use any other devices so compatibility is not an issue.

Edit - another advantage of MKV is cost, MakeMKV is free where as folder/ISO ripping tools usually are not.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

We have had this debate many times.

Despite both being exact copies MKV amazingly is a little smaller file for whatever reason when both are full rips. Both are exactly the same otherwise. I prefer MKV.

Can you explain something to me? Recently I had the misfortune of having to set up Magic Mike for my wife and two of her girlfriends to watch. I ripped the Blu-Ray as normal, but something got messed up and the menu would not work (I think I had AnyDVD set to cut out clips less than 1 minute long, have had problems with that before). Since I couldn't play the movie from the menu, I decided to make an MKV of it to play. The MKV came out to about 23GB, as expected. When I tried to play the MKV, it started fine, but then started stuttering. The MKV was on my WHS, same as all my blu-ray rips. Haven't had any trouble playing blu-rays rips (via TMT5). Large MKVs though seem to really stutter. I've got gigabit lan, so its not a network issue. My HTPC is far from stout (E5400, 4GB ram and a discrete video card (GT250 or something I think). I'm a bit baffled why the movie would play fine in one structure, but not the other.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Can you explain something to me? Recently I had the misfortune of having to set up Magic Mike for my wife and two of her girlfriends to watch. I ripped the Blu-Ray as normal, but something got messed up and the menu would not work (I think I had AnyDVD set to cut out clips less than 1 minute long, have had problems with that before). Since I couldn't play the movie from the menu, I decided to make an MKV of it to play. The MKV came out to about 23GB, as expected. When I tried to play the MKV, it started fine, but then started stuttering. The MKV was on my WHS, same as all my blu-ray rips. Haven't had any trouble playing blu-rays rips (via TMT5). Large MKVs though seem to really stutter. I've got gigabit lan, so its not a network issue. My HTPC is far from stout (E5400, 4GB ram and a discrete video card (GT250 or something I think). I'm a bit baffled why the movie would play fine in one structure, but not the other.

Did you try any other players with the MKV file? MPC-HC etc?
MKV should be no different to playing the folder structure.

Regarding ripping and the menu not working, I would recommend always testing the disc in TMT5 (with AnyDVD running) first before you rip, you can check if it works and change the settings in AnyDVD before you rip if needed.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejh1987 View Post

Did you try any other players with the MKV file? MPC-HC etc?
MKV should be no different to playing the folder structure.

It played on my desktop PC using VLC just fine, but I only have on the HTPC TMT5 and the shark007 codec pack.
Quote:
Regarding ripping and the menu not working, I would recommend always testing the disc in TMT5 (with AnyDVD running) first before you rip, you can check if it works and change the settings in AnyDVD before you rip if needed.

It's been so long since I'd had an issue, I just got sloppy!
post #11 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejh1987 View Post

As everyone as already mentioned no difference in audio or video quality.

MKV - Superior compatibility for streaming to other devices, if you just want the main movie then use MKV.
Folder Structure - Contains menus/trailers/special features - If these matter to you at all then use this, if not then use MKV.

My preference (unlike others) is ISO/Folder Structure, as I like to sometimes view the menus/special features and can still play the main movie if needed, I don't use any other devices so compatibility is not an issue.

Edit - another advantage of MKV is cost, MakeMKV is free where as folder/ISO ripping tools usually are not.
Thank you. My make mkv beta trial expired and said I have to enter a code/password. Do you know how I get that?
post #12 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you. My make mkv beta trial expired and said I have to enter a code/password. Do you know how I get that?

Look at the bottom of my free makemkv guide.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:

The current key is always posted here
post #14 of 14 Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just started converting my DVD rip collection (all currently in Video_TS folder) to .mkv. They are all stored on an unraid server.

The reason I started moving to .mkv is because I wanted to stream to devices (plex, etc) and nothing seems to support video_ts in this regard.

The one issue I just discovered is that FF and RW do not work. I know you can type a number and FF for example a certain number of seconds, but quite often I would like to FF to find a certain spot in a movie, or skip a few scenes, etc.

Btw, I use media browser and WMC7 (maybe it would work if I setup mpc-hc or moved to xbmc??)

good luck...seems to be pros/cons to whatever format you decide on.

Chuga

btw - I did not see any quality impact with .mkv
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page