vista to windows 7 ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a gateway laptop model MT3705 (sticker on rear)...also on the rear...model W340UI???

I am ready to experience the Audioquest Dragonfly. Signed up to HD Tracks and ready to go...NOT... When checking the web site, it states that at this time it is not compatible with windows Vista at this time.
Anybody know if something is being done to correct this? If not, I want to abandon Vista and install windows 7. I'm not very computer smart, so what should I do? Is this an easy trouble free transfer going from Vista to windows 7? What is the proper way to do this?

Espo77
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

I have a gateway laptop model MT3705 (sticker on rear)...also on the rear...model W340UI???

I am ready to experience the Audioquest Dragonfly. Signed up to HD Tracks and ready to go...NOT... When checking the web site, it states that at this time it is not compatible with windows Vista at this time.
Anybody know if something is being done to correct this? If not, I want to abandon Vista and install windows 7. I'm not very computer smart, so what should I do? Is this an easy trouble free transfer going from Vista to windows 7? What is the proper way to do this?
I could be wrong but you may have to do a clean install of win 7, not sure you can upgrade win7 on top of vista.

see http://windows.microsoft.com/upgrade-windows-vista. I think it may depend on whether you upgrade vista home to win7 home. You can't go from vista pro to win7 home.

If you don't mind reinstalling any software you have and you still have the keys to reinstall. I would swap out the old drive, install win 7 on it, and put the old drive in an USB external case so you can get the data off it. Make sure you get the right case. 2.5: for laptop drives, I assume SATA.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #3 of 4 Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
the question, what files are you trying to transfer? I personally prefer a clean install. It can take a little more time, but everything will have the latest drivers and software.

Some stuff like movies, game saves, music, and so forth, can just be transferred to an external drive, so they can be transferred back. This can be most time consuming. Other stuff such as program settings, may be able to save if you know what file they're kept, and may be able to transfer or copy. Otherwise, you can just make a note. On the same topic, some settings are going to be different since it is a different OS which may have new features for a program(s).

The biggest issue may be you have programs you no longer have installation software/disc. That's just an issue with limited resolutions. You try to download it somewhere, borrow from someone you know, and so forth. But it could be a time to see what else is out there. It's also possible that a program will not run on Windows7. I had this issue with a invoicing program going from XP to 7.

On a side note, there is a registry hack for Windows 7 so you can use the Upgrade version and do a clean install. You will need to be comfortable with doing editing registry and doing some command line. It's sounds worse than it is. It's really easy overall. method two
post #4 of 4 Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
sounds to me like something that I'll be sorry I tried to do myself. I just want to purchase the Audioquest Dragonfly and be done with it.

Espo77
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page