Kind of OT: Surveillance software? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hmmm, I could relate this to HTPCs by wondering if we could use an HTPC to run video surveillance in our homes right?

Seriously, though, does anyone know any semi-decent software that would work with a webcam? Having an issue with a certain delivery company that does not come to my house, yet says "delivery attempted" and I am about to make a big stink about it. Would like video proof to back up my complaint with, if possible. I have a Handicam but I don't think it has room to record for the whole 8 hour window I would need.

Was thinking *maybe* I could use my netbook and its webcam?

Anyone have any recommendations? Would want something that could output to a normal video file (avi mpeg4 etc) and that I could speed up (cuz God knows watching 8 hours of video....no thanks! Granted, I hope to only watch maybe half an hour, because the tracking has the time delivery was supposedly attempted :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM

Liked: 10
Blue Iris - http://www.blueirissoftware.com/7.html
iSpy - http://www.ispyconnect.com/download.aspx
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I use Ispy. Set your web Cam or any of many IP Cams up to record on motion.

BTW, I believe the egg still has the Dlink 930 for 60 bucks. I have one
in the front window because I also had a delivery problem, and you can access the video
using IOS or Android (as well as record it to your HTPC). This model also has a mic so
you can tell if the sucker broke your item on delivery ;-)
post #4 of 4 Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

I use Ispy. Set your web Cam or any of many IP Cams up to record on motion.

BTW, I believe the egg still has the Dlink 930 for 60 bucks. I have one
in the front window because I also had a delivery problem, and you can access the video
using IOS or Android (as well as record it to your HTPC). This model also has a mic so
you can tell if the sucker broke your item on delivery ;-)

I actually want to record straight, not on motion, mainly because it'll be facing a relatively busy street and would be going all the time anyway LOL.

This isn't something I plan on doing more than a time or two, just because I'm peeved and feel like taking it further if it doesn't correct itself after my complaint over the weekend is why I am going to do it now. Anyway, the Netbook fits on the windowsill, so I thought it would be perfect for my limited need. (I have a USB webcam in addition to the built-in, so I can use that if need be)

I find it rather funny that someone else has felt the need to do this, says a lot for the work ethic in our country, eh?

Anyway, I'm pissy because I have to pay extra for this service....yet it isn't provided. Fairly certain that's illegal wink.gif Without video "proof", though, it's their word against mine.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page