I'm new and want to build a HTPC :p - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Why do you want to cold boot? You are not likely to ever recoup the cost of the additional required equipment - especially since you are using Intel.

And I would argue as its actually less "green" as you are adding to e-waste by purchasing additional (and in my view unneeded) equipment.
bosiwow likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
because I power off my home theater off with a remote, that cuts off all electricity, so there is zero electricity usage wink.gif. What remote would you recommend, that works in openelec, and that's able to boot the computer for shutdown?

Assassin, you have a point, but a rather turn of the computer completely, I turn off all my electronics, subwoofer, receiver pvr etc.
post #33 of 52 Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Hmm, its so much easier just to set up automatic sleep for your computer. You are talking less than 5 watts here.
bosiwow likes this.
post #34 of 52 Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosiwow View Post

because I power off my home theater off with a remote, that cuts off all electricity, so there is zero electricity usage wink.gif. What remote would you recommend, that works in openelec, and that's able to boot the computer for shutdown?

Assassin, you have a point, but a rather turn of the computer completely, I turn off all my electronics, subwoofer, receiver pvr etc.

Are you using the "green" surge protectors that shut everything off based on the power state of 1 outlet?

I'd just connect the PC to a separate outlet, or better yet connect the green surge to one plug and a UPS to the other. Then connect your PC to the UPS

You have a lot more flexibility with sleep/wake through bios and task scheduling

Also, I don't know how well any of it would work if you completely shut off power. Most "wake from S5" products I was aware of keep power to the USB host adapter in order to receive the "on" command from IR instead of the front PWR button
bosiwow likes this.
post #35 of 52 Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Can I set i bios, when the pc gets power, he goes in a state where he receives ir commands? Or does the computer always go in "completely-turned-off" when it gets power?
So when I click the remote that gives power to the htpc, it goes in an energy state, that accepts ir commands to turn on? And when I don't need it anymore, I turn off the computer and turn off the electricity. The next time I give the computer electricity again, it goes again in a state where it can receive ir commands. Is this possible?

Or else:

When the computer gets power, automatically boot, Is this possible?

thanks
post #36 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Hmm, its so much easier just to set up automatic sleep for your computer. You are talking less than 5 watts here.

Exactly. Still not sure why he/she wants to do this but to each their own.
bosiwow likes this.

post #37 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Can I set i bios, when the pc gets power, he goes in a state where he receives ir commands? Or does the computer always go in "completely-turned-off" when it gets power?
So when I click the remote that gives power to the htpc, it goes in an energy state, that accepts ir commands to turn on? And when I don't need it anymore, I turn off the computer and turn off the electricity. The next time I give the computer electricity again, it goes again in a state where it can receive ir commands. Is this possible?

Or else:

When the computer gets power, automatically boot, Is this possible?

thanks

I don't know about your particular MB, but depending on the BIOS, you might have the ability power on via usb device, and there's a better chance that you have the option to auto boot on power. Like others said, sleep is the way to go, but I had some problems with my OpenELEC build and could not get sleep/wake to work right with my IR receiver. Since boot time is not long, and not a critical issue for me in this application, I just gave in and power off/reboot each time, but in my case I walk up and hit the button before using, which is a strenuous task but somehow I manage.
bosiwow likes this.
post #38 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

If I leave the pc in stand by 24/24 7/7, and let's say it uses 5 watt, It's going to cost +- 10 euros a year, so if I can find a solution, so I can turn on the computer from completely off to on, for less than 30 euros I would find that a pretty good deal tongue.gif. But like DanPackMan said, hitting the button is also a way to do it, But I rather let it work with a harmony remote, because it looks more professional ^^ .
post #39 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If I leave the pc in stand by 24/24 7/7, and let's say it uses 5 watt, It's going to cost +- 10 euros a year, so if I can find a solution, so I can turn on the computer from completely off to on, for less than 30 euros I would find that a pretty good deal tongue.gif. But like DanPackMan said, hitting the button is also a way to do it, But I rather let it work with a harmony remote, because it looks more professional ^^ .

Are never going to use your htpc? Thats the only scenario where your example makes sense.
bosiwow likes this.

post #40 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Instead of bothering with completely off vs. S3 sleep, spend the time to replace an incandescent light bulb with a CFL or LED bulb. You'll get more savings doing that instead.
bosiwow likes this.

post #41 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
I'm a little confused with this build... You can run Plex server with openelec?
bosiwow likes this.
post #42 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

I'm a little confused with this build... You can run Plex server with openelec?

Amazingly, someone actually has made a Plex Media Server add-on for OpenELEC.

Now if only I could use Plex Media Center instead of XBMC on OpenELEC. That would be incredible! One of the Plex devs hinted at something like this. In the meantime, the new Plexbmc add-on works quite well.
bosiwow likes this.
post #43 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Are never going to use your htpc? Thats the only scenario where your example makes sense.

It's theoretically, I don't care about power consumption when actually using the device, I just find it useless wasting electricity when not using the HTPC...
post #44 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's theoretically, I don't care about power consumption when actually using the device, I just find it useless wasting electricity when not using the HTPC...

Some food for thought. If you can power it back on with a remote then it is always drawing power. If you are really wanting to save electricity then you should shut it down with your remote and hit the power button on the case when you are ready to use it again.
bosiwow likes this.
post #45 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But you are missing the point. Unless you are going to use it for a decade or more to recoup the cost of the added equipment plus the added e-waste you aren't really doing yourself a favor. You are saving maybe 3 watts.

Do what you like.
bosiwow likes this.

post #46 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

Some food for thought. If you can power it back on with a remote then it is always drawing power. If you are really wanting to save electricity then you should shut it down with your remote and hit the power button on the case when you are ready to use it again.

And unplug it from the outlet.
bosiwow likes this.

post #47 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I wonder if you get a motherboard like the Intel DH77DF and a HDMI-CEC adapter if you can just have your TV/AVR turn on the PC automatically when those are turned on. That might be a solution if your TV/AVR supports HDMI-CEC.
bosiwow likes this.

post #48 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I gonna push the button by myself wink.gif, just found out you can't use the antec veris to turn on your computer, if you unplugged the power cord, and put it back in wink.gif

Thank you guys smile.gif
post #49 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I gonna push the button by myself wink.gif, just found out you can't use the antec veris to turn on your computer, if you unplugged the power cord, and put it back in wink.gif

Thank you guys smile.gif

Sorry to be late for the party, but that's where I was trying to lead you with the "Green" power strip question about completely shutting off power. I don't know of any wake from S5 devices that can work if you unplug all power and plug it back in. They only work by keeping some additional power to the USB host controller

Complete off is 0W
Sleep is typically 2W or less
The power-on devices are probably at least 0.5W
bosiwow likes this.
post #50 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Sorry to be late for the party, but that's where I was trying to lead you with the "Green" power strip question about completely shutting off power. I don't know of any wake from S5 devices that can work if you unplug all power and plug it back in. They only work by keeping some additional power to the USB host controller

Complete off is 0W
Sleep is typically 2W or less
The power-on devices are probably at least 0.5W

I'm pretty sure my antec case does this with its Imon controller. Also there is this... http://www.simerec.com/
bosiwow likes this.
post #51 of 52 Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

An ir controller that you patch into your front power button. That's a good way to do it, never seen that before
bosiwow likes this.
post #52 of 52 Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm here again tongue.gif

I think I'm going to take another case (aerocool qx 2000). This cases take normal atx psu's, so I need to find a cheap power supply

I want this:

-ATX standard
-80-plus certified
-needs to be silent
-max length 140mm

I saw this one http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/296 for only 35.9 euros, which is really cheap I think, but I can't find reviews of this psu :s, Does anyone know if it's a good one, or does anyone has suggestions?

or this one : http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/325

Thanks in advance
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page