How do I get 3D movies onto my computer and the play them?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
As above: How does one get 3D movies into the computer??

And then what is needed to play them back on a 3D TV or Projector?

Thanks.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 179
See the sticky thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1240499/faq-for-the-3d-htpc

post #3 of 17 Old 01-15-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

OK Not a great answer, I read about a page and as I do not want to go out and buy a ton of hard ware ajnd As I only want to download and play back 3D movies can I get a simpler answer?

Rich

post #4 of 17 Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 372
To play back BR 3D, you will need:

- A graphics card supporting MVC decoding and Frame packing output (e.g. Radeon HD 6xxx/7xxx, GeForce 4xx/5xx/6xx)
- A BR 3D software player (e.g. PowerDVD 12 Ultra, TMT5)

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Radeon R5450 Card is that not good enough?

I tried a higher number card and it was not right in my computer...

Rich

post #6 of 17 Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Is this not yours from http://www.avsforum.com/t/1240499/faq-for-the-3d-htpc/900

FAQ for the 3D HTPC :

The information is wrong. First BR 3D "support" is ambiguous. It's the software player (typically TMT or PowerDVD) that reads BR 3D, decodes MVC (Multiview Video Coding, the BR 3D video codec) and converts to a 3D video format (there are many 3D formats, depending on your 3D display). The roles of the graphics card are:

- Accelerate MVC decoding. If CPU is powerful enough (e.g. triple core or more), this may not be necessary.
- Send 3D video format to the display. Some formats are within HDMI 1.3 specs (e.g. Side by Side (Half), Top and Bottom, checkerboard, interleaved). In this case almost any graphics card is fine. Frame packing is HDMI 1.4a and requires the latest graphics card.

HD 5450-5670 HD 5750- HD 6310 (E-350) HD 6xxx (E-450, A Series, dGPU), HD 7xxx GT 210-240 GTS/X 250- GT(X) 430-460/520-560/all 6xx GTX 465/570- Intel HD Graphics (Celeron/Pentium SNB) Intel HD Graphics 2k/2.5k/3k/4k (Core i3/i5/i7 SNB/IVB)
MVC hardware decode No Yes No Yes Yes No Yes Yes Yes Yes
HDMI 1.4a 3D (Frame packing) Yes Yes - Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes No Yes
Frame packing to 3D display + HD audio to HDMI 1.3 AVR No No - No Yes (LPCM only) No Yes Yes (LPCM only) - Yes
Frame packing + HD audio to HDMI 1.4a AVR / 3D display Yes Yes - Yes Yes (LPCM only) No Yes Yes (LPCM only) - Yes

Remarks on the two cable solution of HD audio to HDMI 1.3 AVR and 3D video to the display

1. This works if and only if HD audio controller of the GPU supports dual audio stream, and only NVIDA and Intel GPUs support it. One audio stream is assigned to AVR, the "secondary" display, the other to the 3D display, "primary" display, in extended desktop mode. Select AVR as the sound playback device in the player. BTW HDMI and DVI with a DVI-HDMI adapter are completely equivalent in NVIDIA and Intel (audio over DVI port is disabled in some LGA 1155 mb, however).

2. AMD HD 5xxx/6xxx/7xxx GPU behaves differently. Usually you will see an HDMI connector and a DVI connector and/or a DisplayPort connector in the GPU and any of:

- HDMI connector

- DP connector with a passive DP-HDMI adapter

- DVI connector with AMD's proprietary DVI-HDMI adapter

works as a HDMI 1.4a connector that supports Frame Packing 3D video, HD audio and YCbCr color space as well as RGB. However if two displays are connected to the GPU at the same time, then only one connector works as HDMI and the other connector always works as DVI (no Frame Packing 3D video, no audio, only RGB color space). Precisely speaking, if you use HDMI and DP/DVI, then HDMI always works as HDMI and DP/DVI works as DVI; If you use DP and DVI, then DP always works as HDMI and DVI as DVI. In other words, HDMI-likeness decreases in this order:

HDMI > DP > DVI

That means, unlike NVIDIA and Intel, you can't send Frame Pakcing 3D video over one of the connector and HD audio over another (you can still send other 3D formats such as checkerboard, SBS, TAB, interleaved, however). Apparently this is because of a limitation of the HD audio controller of AMD GPU, i.e. non-support for dual audio stream.

A workaround is use another GPU to send HD audio:

a) If it is a discrete AMD GPU and your CPU is Intel Clarkdale/SNB/IVY or AMD APU, then activate its GPU and use it to send audio.

b) If it is a discrete AMD GPU and your CPU does not have integrated GPU, then add another cheap GPU such as HD 5450 (~$20) for audio. The second graphics card works even with a PCI Express x1 slot! (Just cut the closed end to make it an open end.)

c) If it is iGPU of AMD APU, then add a cheap discrete GPU such as HD 5450 (~$20) for audio.

The chart did not copy and paste...

So what can I do??

Rich

post #7 of 17 Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post

I have a Radeon R5450 Card is that not good enough?

I tried a higher number card and it was not right in my computer...

Rich

HD 5450 does not support MVC decode. So your CPU has to decode MVC. If your CPU is powerful enough, then it's OK.

-

-
post #8 of 17 Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

I am running a Quad AMD at 2.80GHZ with 3 Gig of memory

64 BIT Windows 7.

Rich

post #9 of 17 Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Then there should be no problem (except for higher power consumption than hardware MVC decoding).

-

-
post #10 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

OK I just lost my Sapphire HD 3850 PCI-E video card in my third computer that has PCIe slots.

SO I am in the market for a Video card for a PCI-E.

I am running MSI/ATI/AMD HD 5450 as I tried aDiamond 6450PE31G Radeon HD 6450 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR3, PCI-Express (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI, 1x HDMI, 1x VGA, DirectX 11, Single-Slot, Low Profile card

And it had ringing in my Foxconn A7VA motherboard..

So can you recommend a better video card with HDMI out like inbetween these two cards, and I am not stuck on ATI and will go with NVIDIA if you feel one is better.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

post #11 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Radeon HD 6570 with effective memory 1600MHz or higher
GeForce GT 630 with effective memory 1600MHz or higher

If you own a HDMI 1.3 AVR, then you should go with GeForce.

-

-
post #12 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Radeon HD 6570 with effective memory 1600MHz or higher
GeForce GT 630 with effective memory 1600MHz or higher

If you own a HDMI 1.3 AVR, then you should go with GeForce.

What is a HDMI 1.3 AVR??

post #13 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How I do it..
1. Rip Blu-ray to encoded 3D 1080p HSBS h.264 in a MKV container.
2. Play in MediaBrowser (Windows Media Center).
3. Hit 3D button on my HDTV and put on glasses. (or your HDTV might support auto-3D in which you wouldn't have to hit any buttons when the stream is auto-recognized)

If you're looking for the simplest solution that requires slightly more time to accomplish (via ripping and encoding) instead of spending a lot of money on 3D compatible players & HDMI components, that's the next best route.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1retap View Post

How I do it..
1. Rip Blu-ray to encoded 3D 1080p HSBS h.264 in a MKV container.
2. Play in MediaBrowser (Windows Media Center).
3. Hit 3D button on my HDTV and put on glasses. (or your HDTV might support auto-3D in which you wouldn't have to hit any buttons when the stream is auto-recognized)

If you're looking for the simplest solution that requires slightly more time to accomplish (via ripping and encoding) instead of spending a lot of money on 3D compatible players & HDMI components, that's the next best route.

1)Interesting, are you ripping 2D Blu-ray and converting it to 3D or are you ripping 3D blu-rays?? IF so how?? If not converting 2D to 3D that your renting or borrowing them...

2) HATE WMC, any other players useable??

3) are you playing real 3D, or using a TV with a 2D to 3D convertor??

I already have a 3D Blu-ray player and the Epson 3020 3D projector and a nearly done HDMI System, so hun?? your too late...

post #15 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
1. Just rip the 3D Blu-ray with DVDfab. Example: http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-3d-ripper/how-to-rip-blu-ray-3d-to-3d-videos.htm

2. You can use whatever player I suppose. I just use WMC because it is already integrated into my whole home MediaBrowser setup on all my HTPC's and it displays all the nice cover art and movie/tv info. I tested XBMC, as well as MPC-HC. Both of those work too.

3. I'm playing using my LG Plasma 60'' PM6700 in 3D mode. It detects the HSBS stream.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link and reply w1retap.

I am looking into switching from cox cable to centurylink DSL.

Have you done DSL??

Because:

As a part of my Epson 3020 install has been the effort to get video, specially 3D.

And as a part of my efforts has been to get off cable and more on to the internet.

I talked with Cox and CenturyLink about phone and internet service, Cox will cost me $95.00 for around 20 to 30 MB, Centurylink will sell me 20 MB fore $69.95 or 40MB at $74.95.

With a 5 year price lock.

A small saving, but with Cox's retaliatory attitude, IE IF I leave I lose a couple of grandfather deals and how last time they put in a internet slowing filter to block my possible stealing TV and even cut the wire ..(all proved when I had the TV system turned back on..) I get the feeling I will need to cut cable total out.

Has anyone done this? And if so how was DSL??

Rich

post #17 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

BY the way ever try downloading (copying) SBS 3D Movies off say Direct or Cable??

Rich

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page