HTPC build thoughts? Comments? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-15-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting ready to build a HTPC (not my first PC build, but my first SFF HTPC build) and unload that overpriced cable company DVR, and looking for some feedback. I've read through Assassin's blog guide, some great stuff there. I've pretty much settled into the following, using new components and some leftovers from around the house. Let me know what you think, plus a question at the end. This system will be used mostly as a replacement for the DVR, occasional movie watching from DVD rips, and live TV viewing (mostly sports).

Newly/to be purchased:
Core i3 3225 3.3GHz LGA 1155 Processor
H77M-ITX LGA1155 H77 mini ITX Intel Motherboard
4GB G.Skill RAM
hec Black 7K09BBA30FNRX Micro HTPC Case with 300W power supply
Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 Dual Tuner Digital CableCARD Receiver

NOTE: If you live anywhere near a Micro Center store, you really should take a look there for your motherboard and processor. Quite often they have combo deals that just can't be beat. I got the combination listed above for $175, which is $70 cheaper than Newegg, and $55 cheaper than the same motherboard with the i3-3220 from Newegg.

Leftovers around the house:
OCZ Agility OCZSSD2-1AGT60G 60 GB SSD drive (OS and applications)
Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS 7200.12 1TB hard drive (data) OR
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB hard drive (or both, using eSATA port for extra drive)
Windows 7 Home Premium

So, what do you think? Anyone with experience with that case who can say how the power supply is? I've picked that case over some others due to the included power supply in order to keep costs down, and if I'm just going to have to replace it sometime, I might look at something else.

Also, I was thinking about adding in a display in the optical drive bay, since I'm not putting one in, and would appreciate recommendations for that. I found this one, don't know how good it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811996004

Thanks for any help you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
While not offering any "help"...you've been here 4-5 YEARS with NINE...er...NINE posts??

Wow.tongue.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

While not offering any "help"...you've been here 4-5 YEARS with NINE...er...NINE posts??

Wow.tongue.gif

Yeah, I'm a real underachiever. smile.gif

Although I don't know if I would say I've been "here" that long - I had a problem with an external drive hooked up to my SA8300HD DVR, and the most prominent thread I found on the Internet was here, so I joined. I occasionally look in at things, but there is so much going on, and so many more qualified people here than I am, so haven't really had much to contribute.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

137 views, and not a single response? Did I do something wrong here?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 AM

Liked: 16
Why a mini-ITX motherboard in the micro-ATX case?

The only other comment I have is regarding the hard drives. Depending on what other fans you're planning on running, that Barracuda might be the most audible piece in your build. I have 3 120mm case fans (nominally spinning at 500-600rpm) and a Big Shuriken 2 (nominally 600-700rpm), and the noise of my Barracuda 7200.14 2 TB drive is louder at idle. You're going to be running (I assume) the stock Intel cooler and 80mm case fans so maybe they'll be louder than my setup so the HDD noise may not be a concern, but something to look out for.

Sorry, I know nothing about putting a display into the optical drive bay.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo View Post

Why a mini-ITX motherboard in the micro-ATX case?

The mini-ITX motherboard had all the features I needed, at a good price. None of the m-ITX cases really caught my fancy, and I thought a little bigger case would look better. My understanding is that the m-ATX case will work fine with a m-ITX board, is that wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantNGo View Post

The only other comment I have is regarding the hard drives. Depending on what other fans you're planning on running, that Barracuda might be the most audible piece in your build. I have 3 120mm case fans (nominally spinning at 500-600rpm) and a Big Shuriken 2 (nominally 600-700rpm), and the noise of my Barracuda 7200.14 2 TB drive is louder at idle. You're going to be running (I assume) the stock Intel cooler and 80mm case fans so maybe they'll be louder than my setup so the HDD noise may not be a concern, but something to look out for.

Good point. Since that is a leftover part, I will have to see how it works out, and perhaps get something else if it is too loud. Then again, given how loud our central air system tends to be in our family room (the return for the furnace is on the wall right next to the family room), it probably won't matter too much.

Thanks again.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page