Please help me solve my HD Audio problem on my HTPC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the hardware:

ASUS P5NE SLI with 3.15GHz proc, 8GB memory, 64GB SSD boot drive
Auzentech Explosion 7.1 PCI sound card
Galaxy GeForce GT 440 with VGA, DVI and HDMI output (no audio headers on card)

Yamaha RX-A800 Receiver
Samsung 40" LCD Display
Viewsonic Pro 8200HD Projector

When running Windows XP Pro, using the Explosion's coax digital output and HDMI to the receiver, XBMC plays perfectly.

Attempted an upgrade to Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit. All drivers loaded fine. I am unable to get audio over the HDMI cable. After searching the net, it would seem the video card is capable of doing it. Here are the steps I took:

Remove the Explosion card. Enable onboard audio in Bios. Load the latest GeForce drivers for my card which includes the HD Audio driver. When running the NVidia control panel, I can clearly select HDMI under audio and I see one of two sources, depending on what destination I use, either Viewsonic 8200HD or Yamaha A800. I open the sound control panel and HD Digitial Audio is the default option, others include headphones and speakers. At this point, sound is just not transmitted to the receiver when running sound tests. I can clearly see the sound bar showing the rise and fall of sound during the test.

I connected the coax digital output to the mainboard output and to the receiver. Sound works but dropouts are so significant that it's unusable.

I disable the onboard audio and install the Explosion card. I connect the coax to the Explosion and sound works a little better but audio dropouts are still appearing about every 5-10 seconds, once again unusable.

The hardware should be more than enough to play the most intensive 1080p mkv files, and in fact under Windows XP, they all play and sound fine.

What am i not doing here to make this work? Can anyone confirm that the Galaxy GT440 with the yellow fan will carry HD audio over the HDMI port? Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

Should I just throw in the towel and install Windows XP 64-Bit and call it a day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have this issue if I don't turn on the receiver and tv first first it will default to the optical not hdmi for sound. I have to turn on tv set it to hdmi, turn on receiver and make sure it is on hdmi and then I have sound over hdmi. Sounds silly but try it and see what happens never know....
post #3 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

No luck there. I powered off all components. Powered on the receiver and display. Set the input on the receiver and then powered on the PC. Still no sound.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
On the RX-A800: Setup -> HDMI -> Audio Output -> Amp (make sure it's set to "ON").
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Amp is on under the Receiver setup. At this point I have to assume that the 440 will not pass audio via HDMI. I have narrowed the dropout problem to XBMC. Not sure why it's not working correctly, all the settings look good. I can run a move in VLC with no audio dropouts. XBMC refuses to play without dropouts and I've tested all the settings. Any other suggestions?
post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Remove the sound card. Uninstall all the drivers for it. Update/install the drivers for the video card. Go HDMI from the video card to the AVR and HDMI fromthe AVR to the HDTV.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Wow this sounds like a similar issue I am having, I stated this thread, but unfortunately have given up for the time being and I am using an optical out for audio.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Have a look at the sticky thread on the XBMC forum Windows Threads - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911 - lots of great advice. Incorrect audio settings in xbmc can cause the issues you describe.

Your Nvidia GT440 according to spec supports HD Audio - so that's not the issue.

Might also want to check that Windows is showing HD Audio as 'supported formats' if not, you may have an EDID issue, solutions which are well documented on this site.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Have a look at the sticky thread on the XBMC forum Windows Threads - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911 - lots of great advice. Incorrect audio settings in xbmc can cause the issues you describe.

Your Nvidia GT440 according to spec supports HD Audio - so that's not the issue.

Might also want to check that Windows is showing HD Audio as 'supported formats' if not, you may have an EDID issue, solutions which are well documented on this site.
Steelman,

Thanks for the help with everything in my original thread. I just realized reading this that Windows does not show it supports HD audio on the HDMI connection. can you elaborate on what an EDID issue is? I'll check google as well.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 87
@jdastas - this link explains it better than I can http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data - but I'm not sure that is the issue with your system - I think you have to follow part 2.12 here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Windows_Settings_for_AudioEngine and make sure the correct driver has been installed as per that instruction. I don't run an intel system, but until the correct drivers have been installed I believe that the formats will not be shown in Windows.

Not all sound issues refer to incorrect/incomplete EDID information conflicts, most are resolved by updating to the correct video driver.

Here is a link to the intel download center as well http://downloadcenter.intel.com/
post #11 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I uninstalled all drivers and loaded just the Nvidia drivers for my card including HD Audio. Same results.

I swapped HDMI cables between the PC and Receiver. Same results.

I swapped HDMI ports on the Receiver to a known working good port that will play audio over HDMI. Tested good.

So I'm guessing there is an HDMI input port based setting on the Yamaha that needs adjustment. Downloading the manual now. If anyone can point me to a quick fix, I'd be set.

I have quite a few Yamaha receivers of different flavors and I seem to recall on some you can hardcode a specific audio source to a video source. Maybe I did this awhile back and I just don't recall doing it.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

For those who might like to know, I was able to get this working. On the not very intuitive Aventage receivers, you have to select the input, in this case HDMI 3. You have just a few seconds to press the up or down arrow which brings up yet another menu where you can select the audio in source to go with the video source that is selected, again, HDMI 3. Even the manual didn't clearly explain this in detail.

I had been running the Explosion card using coax out in conjunction with another video card for a couple of years. I made this change and forgot all about it. Just took a little research after adding a new video card.

Thanks to all those who posted and pointed me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page