Do I need a sound card even w/ the I3 CPU? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Do I need a sound card even w/ the I3 CPU?

I'm using this Win7 PC as a DVR to record and playback TV shows.

Now I'd like to listen to Pandra internet radio or just inhance the audio experience.

I. my HTPC has a HDMI cable connected to the AVR how is the sound card connected to the AVR ?

2.currently have only 5.1 speakers will a 7.1 sound card be compatable w/ 5.1?

3.will plugging in a sound card and updating driver be a easy process like plug and play ?

confussed w/ OEM modules w/out software.
the SC I link to will it require additionale software?

4.what features and specs. should a decent SC have?

5.Will the I3 CPU operate faster and cooler w/ a SC.?

6. Will audio from my recorded TV Window media center sound better?

I'm planning on obtaining a upgraded AVR from current the next step up AVR has internet radio builtin so I'm not sure if the AVR that I've picked
will meet my requirements.

7.I use a Harmony remote control looks like I'll have to add another activity named net radio configured w/ the SCs connections?

8.How do'es this SC look?
Thanks STB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102003

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
All audio from your computer can travel over the HDMI to your AVR from your i3. I don't see a point in adding a dedicated soundcard.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You do not need a sound card. Right now your AVR does all the decoding/Digital-to-Analog conversion etc. If you add a sound card, it will be responsible for the decoding and D/A conversion. You will need to connect your sound card to your AVR using analog (RCA type) connectors (one for each channel) instead of HDMI single connector. Your AVR will become nothing more than an amplifier since everything else will need to be done by the computer/SC. I don't know about you but I rather have the AVR handle all the audio.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post

All audio from your computer can travel over the HDMI to your AVR from your i3. I don't see a point in adding a dedicated soundcard.
OK no sound card. Thanks STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

You do not need a sound card. Right now your AVR does all the decoding/Digital-to-Analog conversion etc. If you add a sound card, it will be responsible for the decoding and D/A conversion. You will need to connect your sound card to your AVR using analog (RCA type) connectors (one for each channel) instead of HDMI single connector. Your AVR will become nothing more than an amplifier since everything else will need to be done by the computer/SC. I don't know about you but I rather have the AVR handle all the audio.
OK no sound card.

now I'm confussed about AVRs that have the feature of internet radio builtin compared to the AVR which is the next step down which is basicalley the same amp. minus the internet radio?

I'm thinking the AVR that has internet radio built in also has a small CPU (this amp is connected to a router) so if I'm using my own PC I really don't need a AVR w/ internet radio correct?

Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #5 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

I'm thinking the AVR that has internet radio built in also has a small CPU (this amp is connected to a router) so if I'm using my own PC I really don't need a AVR w/ internet radio correct?

Correct, you can play internet radio via your PC. The only advantage of having and internet radio feature on the AVR would be the convenience of the interface and having it in one place, or not having to turn on a video display to select and play music.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page