post #241 of 251 Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

WHS has automatated backup integrated as one of it's core features and it works pretty well.

You can also do remote desktop and offload work to your server to allow dual machines to attack something like encoding much quicker.

You can easily set up a website, and remote web access so you can access your server and it's files when your away from home.

The list really could go on and on...

I could be wrong but I think both of those are possible with the biz level synologys and their software.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 251 Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post

One nice thing about NAS is its small size. Most are barely larger than the space it takes to house the drives. You'll be hard pressed to find a home-built server that comes close to the small foot print of a commercial NAS box. Also, some NAS boxes have expansion capabilties, and the expansion boxes are again barely larger than the space to house the drives.

Some higher end home office NAS boxes like those Intel processor based models made by Synology are full featured, with ready-to-install software for transcoding and streaming videos in realtime to IOS devices, VPN server for securely accessing your videos/pictures/etc from the Internet, plus chock full of other goodies. If you don't like to spend time tinkering with a home built server then NAS boxes are worth a look.

Precisely, especially to the 2nd paragraph and really why I talked myself into a "better" nas (yeah, again, I know it's not a monster). And I'd never consider ANY option that couldn't be expanded.

James

post #243 of 251 Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
You're a power user and don't just want a NAS.

For me I did it mainly for the learning experience. I also wanted my WHS install to be as clean as possible.

post #244 of 251 Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

^ this isn't for me, is it, lol? I'd never consider myself a "power user".

But if anyone gets bored and are on the fence, peruse this review, not to hype up what I picked, but to maybe have an idea if a nas of this sort will work for your app. http://www.cnet.com/network-storage/synology-diskstation-ds412/4505-3382_7-35240754.html

James

post #245 of 251 Old 06-10-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

You're a power user and don't just want a NAS.

For me I did it mainly for the learning experience. I also wanted my WHS install to be as clean as possible.

I guess I just don't understand it enough to see where it's going to benefit me. I got learning to do.

I've been consumed learning how to build a dedicated theater. That's been tougher to grasp for me than PC stuff.

I keep putting off the idea if virtualization because I never built my server to do that. Perhaps on my next refresh I'll go server CPU and mobo. I keep reading you need compatible hardware.

Rebuilding my server again is low on my list of priorities.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #246 of 251 Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I guess I just don't understand it enough to see where it's going to benefit me. I got learning to do.

I've been consumed learning how to build a dedicated theater. That's been tougher to grasp for me than PC stuff.

I keep putting off the idea if virtualization because I never built my server to do that. Perhaps on my next refresh I'll go server CPU and mobo. I keep reading you need compatible hardware.

Rebuilding my server again is low on my list of priorities.

If you have a server that does what you want... honestly... virtualization is somehow a waste of money and time in my opinion... unless you're needing it for testing out stuff on OS'es which will get removed / replaced very regularly...
This is on the condition that you don't have an old machine that can be used to try out new stuff...

Whichever you're more comfortable with, windows or linux, just build yourself a nice server and run your stuff off it...
I usually recommend one box playing the role of storage and streamer, tucked away in a corner where almost nobody goes...
post #247 of 251 Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky View Post

If you have a server that does what you want... honestly... virtualization is somehow a waste of money and time in my opinion... unless you're needing it for testing out stuff on OS'es which will get removed / replaced very regularly...
This is on the condition that you don't have an old machine that can be used to try out new stuff...

Whichever you're more comfortable with, windows or linux, just build yourself a nice server and run your stuff off it...
I usually recommend one box playing the role of storage and streamer, tucked away in a corner where almost nobody goes...

I think it would be cool to test out OS and configure different systems different ways without messing up my main rig. All I need to do is swap my cheapo CPU (G860) for a socket 1155 server CPU I guess.

Any suggestions? How could I know what CPU work best with virtualization ???

I think my Asrock Mobo and IBM M1015 should work ok.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #248 of 251 Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

I think it would be cool to test out OS and configure different systems different ways without messing up my main rig. All I need to do is swap my cheapo CPU (G860) for a socket 1155 server CPU I guess.

Any suggestions? How could I know what CPU work best with virtualization ???

I think my Asrock Mobo and IBM M1015 should work ok.

I once suggested that you should try ESXi just because I know you are the type of person to get into it. But here is the thing... I don't have a desktop work station, so I have my server doing things besides just sitting there sharing files. So you have to decide on why you want it and what all you will run on it. For me it was mainly just to learn something new. Also just to clean up WHS (now moved up to WSE2012) to just a clean install. I can now play with other programs and reboot them and WSE just keeps running.

I would get a Xeon just in case you ever want to upgrade to a server board. You would have to decide if you want a chip with graphics or not. The only thing you need a graphics card for is to install ESXi after that it all done remotely. My server motherboard has graphics built in , so buying a zeon without graphics helped justify the cost of going all server hardware. If you go with an i7 don't use a K chip as they don't support passthrough.

As far as your Asrock motherboard. Best thing to do is search your model number and ESXi Whiteboxes and copy what is known to work. Something as simple as a nic chipset and you may have to jump through hoops to get it to work.

Passing though the M1015 is usually a piece of cake. But passing individual sata ports from the motherboard can be done but requires some command line work. I have not personally done it myself. My WSE VM only uses the M1015, none off of the mother board. The other thing you need to know is if your Asrock can run 2 M1015s. Many consumer motherboards may have a problem with this.

post #249 of 251 Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My next server rebuild wink.gif

-

post #250 of 251 Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

My next server rebuild wink.gif

Unless you have a specific need to run multiple different OS's on your server ESXi is really a waste of time. If everything you need a server for can be done under one OS then the most efficient way to go is just installing the OS like normal. I ran ESXi for years running one linux distro for email server, another distro for web server, another distro for file server.... blah blah. All optimized distros for their specific task and everything ran great... then I realized my life was 1000 times easier if I just ran everything on Windows and let it go.

It is fun to play around with though. I'd definitely suggest diving into it with an extra server.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #251 of 251 Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That seems cool to install on VM and mess around and when I mess it all up it does not mess up my machine

This would allow me to avoid installing and re-installing lots of stuff on my real OS too.

Does it only run on a server or certain hardware ?

Would it work on my simply G860 ? Or my 4470k ?

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page