TMT 5 - no TrueHD audio on ANY movie after getting Cinavia error - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ok, so I got the dreaded Cinavia error (3 I think) trying to watch MIB3 on TMT5.3.1.176. No problem I figured, I'll just downgrade my TMT5 to the previous version, 146, that didn't have Cinavia. Didn't work, and it seems that I can't play TrueHD on ANY discs now. I tried playing Brave, which I knew had TrueHD and had played fine before. No dice, completely silent on the TrueHD track. Before I went down to 146, I tried to completely clean out TMT from my system, deleted everything including the registry entries they recommend on their webpage.

So did Cinavia do something to my system itself? Anyone know a way to repair it? I have WHS2011, so I can do a bare metal reinstall, but since I have some copy protected recordings, I'd prefer to not do that unless I have to.

F'ing DRM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Are you sure this is Cinavia? It basically cuts out all audio after 30 minutes or something. Are you using the disk or is this a rip to your network? If it is a rip what container are you using?

post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I can't be 100% sure that it is Cinavia causing this issue now, but I definitely got the Cinavia error on MIB3 and then started having issues. Its a rip, full folder structure, unaltered to my network.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Is TMT5 properly registered? I think HD audio is disabled in trials IIRC.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yup. Put in my email and activation key and activated it.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not that this applies to any problem, but my firewall has alerted me of several silent updates from Arcsoft. I deny them if all is working well. And why a silent update without the users approval? Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

MAK
post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I submitted a ticke to Arcsoft so maybe the can help. If I don't hear anything by tonight, I'm rolling back to my Jan 4 backup.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 05:32 PM

I want to chime in on this as well. I've experienced the exact same issue described here.

My htpc has been working beautifully for several years now, but recently got a copy of MIB3, and because anydvd is always running, I got a cinavia error 3 code.

Did some reading on-line and on the arcsoft forums, and downgraded my copy of TMT5 to 5.3.1.146 from the 173 version. Now NONE of my blue rays will give me
HD audio at all.

I've been messing with this for close to two days now, and at first thought I must have changed something in my audio settings that messed things up. Not the case.

Something with cinavia and TMT5 is causing the error.

I'm now restoring from a backup and will post with what happens then.

As a side note,during my testing I found re-installing the newer 173 version of TMT5 resolved the issue completely.

It's either cinavia or TMT5 that is creating this mess, no doubt.

Keep you posted.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is what Arcsoft originally wrote back to me:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting ArcSoft. It's Josie to help.

Regarding your concern, we presume the case might relate to the sound card performance. We recommend you to have a try to reinstall/update your sound card driver to see if it can work. Please confirm that your sound card driver is installed completely. Your cooperation and patience would be very much appreciated.

We hope this information helps. Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.

Wish you a nice day!

Best regards,
ArcSoft Support

I knew it was not a driver issue, but reinstalled my audio drivers just in case. No love of course.

So I sent them this back:
Quote:
Its not a problem with my drivers or the sound card. As a test, I restored my PC to a date prior to when the Cinavia error occurred. (Full metal restore using WHS2011 backup) Everything plays fine (I did a test on Brave which has TrueHD and had worked before). When I played MIB 3 again, the Cinavia error comes up and I have no more TrueHD on ANY disc.

So I went back and restored again to pre-Cinavia error backup. This time, I uninstalled TMT5.3.1.172 (tested Brave again and TrueHD worked), and reinstalled TMT5.3.1.119, then upgraded to 5.3.1.146. I played Brave again, and once again NO TrueHD audio! It seems that 172 has installed Cinavia somewhere in my system that does not get uninstalled when removing TMT5.3.1.172. I tried deleting everything that that even looked remotely attached to ArcSoft in both files and registry. I assume there is probably some DLL or something remaining and causing this error. So please send me instruction on how to remove EVERYTHING that 172 has done to my system. The FAQ on your site is not thorough enough.

Seems that once TMT5.3.1.172 installs Cinavia on your system its staying there and there is no hope to get it out short of a complete rebuild from scratch. I'm pretty pissed. I get that ArcSoft had no choice but to include Cinavia in the newest version of TMT5. That's fine, but it is complete ******** for them to install something like that that doesn't uninstall once you remove TMT5. They have effectively destroyed my system and now I have to rebuild and lose any of my protected recordings. Gee thanks guys!

Looks like TMT5 will be the last thing I ever buy from them.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 AM

After spending several hours at this, I did find a solution that worked for me.

While it does appear that once you 'trip' a cinavia error, it kills HD audio on your system, this is only true for TMT5 versions back to 5.3.1.120.

Luckily I keep the updates and versions as they come out, and by downgrading my tmt5 version to 5.3.1.120 everything started working correctly again. With NO cinavia warnings or errors.

What I ended up doing was a 'system restore' to an earlier date (before I had installed 5.3.1.172) and then installed 5.3.1.120 and everything works great.

With the new AnyDVD speed menus, I think it actually works better than the .172 version did.

Hope this helps someone else with the same issue.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page