windows 8 wmc TV having problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just built a win8 pro 64 bit with media center.
ASUS P8H77-M/CSM LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI
Intel Core i3-3225
avermedia duet ota card

using wmc for ota TV I get audio drop outs every few minutes that last for 4 or 5 seconds.
This does not happen all the time or on all the channels, mainly HD ones.
I have tried using nothing but the tv for audio out over hdmi and still see the same dropouts.

I installed XBMC and the setup required me to uninstall any Realtek stuff but I was seeing these audio problems before so it didn't change anything.
XBMC movies and mkv rips of tv episodes play fine.

Comparing the tuner to my OTA reception is a bit weird.
OTA all channels are signal str of at least 90 on the TV but on the wmd they all show strong with a full green bar so I would assume I would have no problems

channels 25 and 36
OTA channel 25 has full guide while channel 36 just says event 1001, event 1002 etc
but in wmc channel 25 says no data available and channel 36 has a complete guide
yes I know the data is coming in from another source in wmc but is there a listing of what is listed so I can see if I am expecting something that does not exist ?

channel 49-1 which is a remap of channel 20-2 METV
scan finds 20-2 but no channel is there.
I go in and manually delete and add 20-2 and the channel is there, no guide and the show looks terrible and pulsates(I guess thats a description, it gets bright and normal over and over)

I tried to find an some updated drivers or something thinking it might be the tuner card but avermedia told me the card is disconnected and they stopped support after windows vista.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-18-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

here is my update so far.
mediaportal finds all channels and their names...It has 49-1 (which is a remap of the 20-2 from previous post) and identifies it with the correct station name and good picture.
So its wmc that can not get the correct channels.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 10
TV CHANNELS

I've never seen WMC not get accurate TV channels if the setup is done correctly. I have, however, seen it not have the most recent channels propogate, such as in New York, NBC 4.2 was NBC NY Nonstop and became COZI TV a week ago, but still the guide says it's NBC NY Nonstop.

You can always edit a channel and re-source it in WMC.

AUDIO

Depends on the software you're using for codecs.

I use Shark007's Win7 32bit and 64bit coded packs and have tuned them quite a bit.

The main thing for you to try would be the Win8 packs (32bit, 64 if you're > 4GB RAM).

On BOTH, you'd need to check use the recommended options, then on the SWAP tab, disable Windows Audio. This would force LAV Audio splitter to handle your WMC live TV audio.

You'd need to post how you connect audio up (e.g., AVR, powered speakers, TV's audio, etc) on on what connection (Analog, Optical S/PDIF, etc).
post #4 of 6 Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks I will try that and see if it helps.
I will have wmc go in and do a complete rescan and setup and try again.

I just grabbed mediaportal to see if it was a hardware issue with my setup but it found 2 more channels than WMC and the picture was a lot nicer on SD channels.
maybe they have their own codec pack or something so I will try shark and see if that helps wmc.

If I could get xbmc tv to work I would try it but no luck so far. Put in a backend and try to add a font end and it says no backend. Weeeeeee
that was rc1 might update to 3 and see if that helps

sounds like a fun weekend
post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Liked: 10
I assume you're using the onboard intel gpu? In that case, you should go into the control panel and disable dynamic contrast enhancement. That should stop your pulsing video.

As for the missing guide data, Microsoft seems to be having guide problems since around the first of the year. Most notably with low power stations, but also with stations running two transmitters. Not much you can do. You could run setup again and try a different zipcode and see if things improve.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrin View Post

I tried to find an some updated drivers or something thinking it might be the tuner card but avermedia told me the card is disconnected and they stopped support after windows vista.

I have Windows 7 & use two Avermedia Duet tuner cards & noticed that the drivers on the supplied disc were the same as the ones on their website, and these were all several years old (I think 2009). IOW nothing new to update to. Avermedia told me the Duet cards were discontinued. I asked if there was going to be a replacement & they said they made a mistake & the Duet was not discontinued, they were just out of them & had no idea when more would be in stock. So who knows what is going on regarding availability or updates. Anyway I don't know about Win8 but their "old" driver works with Windows 7.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page