Do I need WHS? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Here's the $15 upgrade link. If it asks for a license key just close it and start over, not sure if you need to clear cookies. It usually asks for the key 50% of the time. I'd just start over and use a different email address, with gmail you can put a period anywhere in your name which then gets ignored (mfusick is the same as m.fusick and mf.usick... @gmail.com).

http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Here's the $15 upgrade link. If it asks for a license key just close it and start over, not sure if you need to clear cookies. It usually asks for the key 50% of the time. I'd just start over and use a different email address, with gmail you can put a period anywhere in your name which then gets ignored (mfusick is the same as m.fusick and mf.usick... @gmail.com).

They'll give you the 8 pro license without requesting from a newly activated W7 computer?

Can't wait to get 2 for 1 if that's the case smile.gifbiggrin.gif
post #33 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

They'll give you the 8 pro license without requesting from a newly activated W7 computer?

Can't wait to get 2 for 1 if that's the case smile.gifbiggrin.gif

Yes. You do have to pick a purchase date that is within the program's limits. It is up to you to decide if you can live with yourself by saving $15.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5386070-Windows-8-14-99-upgrade-available-today-must-have-purchased-windows-7-pc?p=54209330#edit54209330

post #34 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It usually asks for the key 50% of the time

Nope, asked for the product key 8 times in a row with different e-mail address and completely IE content each time

Looks like every blogger and their mother reported this back on 10/30/12, and MS patched up the loophole
post #35 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I did it like a week ago. Try Chrome.

post #36 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did it like a week ago. Try Chrome.

What purchase date did you shoot for? That seems to make a difference according to some of the other info out there
post #37 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Anyone have a tuner card installed in their WHS2011 machine ???

I am wondering if it makes sense or not ??? Any problems vs inside a windows 7 HTPC ???

(I could turn off HTPC since server runs 24/7)

Well WHS didn't have wmc in it do that's the first problem. You can install an infinitv there and share the tuners out (though I think it takes a trick to install it) or you can run 7 in a virtual PC.
post #38 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Quote:

Thanks dude !!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #39 of 43 Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Anyone have a tuner card installed in their WHS2011 machine ???

I am wondering if it makes sense or not ??? Any problems vs inside a windows 7 HTPC ???

(I could turn off HTPC since server runs 24/7)

I have an InfiniTV card installed in my WHS 2011 system. No problems whatsoever. The tuners are shared out to two HTPC's via network bridge. The HTPC's are Windows 7 machines. I did host the InfiniTV in my larger HTPC before I built my server. It worked, but when I built my smaller mini-itx HTPC, I didn't have room for the card, so I started researching network bridging the card from the server. It's worked out very well for the past couple of years. My server board will support another InfiniTV card if I decide to go that route in the future.

I don't like the extender model because it requires you to have the HTPC powered on full time for the extenders to work. If I'm gonna do that, I might as well build a server. I do a lot of other things with my server besides hosting the InfiniTV card, so a server would make sense for me regardless of the InfiniTV card being in it.
post #40 of 43 Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have used WHS vr1 for 4 yrs and am wondering if I should stick with it or build something else. It is built on a AMD 939 chip X35 with 1G RAM. and 4Tof storage. I have turned off Remote Access and up dates. What kind of risk am I running?

I am considering a new build for WHS 2011 but switching over seems a pain. Also, beefed up systems seem to be popular but I don't see the need. I am 4 years out of date.

I use it to store video and music, archive TV, and backup. I never found any of the addins exciting or useful.

I use 2 Win 7 HTPCs around the house. The full image backup is useful insurance.

All the dire notices of Network at Risk !! do un nerve my wife.

Bob Howell
post #41 of 43 Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

I have an InfiniTV card installed in my WHS 2011 system. No problems whatsoever. The tuners are shared out to two HTPC's via network bridge. The HTPC's are Windows 7 machines. I did host the InfiniTV in my larger HTPC before I built my server. It worked, but when I built my smaller mini-itx HTPC, I didn't have room for the card, so I started researching network bridging the card from the server. It's worked out very well for the past couple of years. My server board will support another InfiniTV card if I decide to go that route in the future.

I don't like the extender model because it requires you to have the HTPC powered on full time for the extenders to work. If I'm gonna do that, I might as well build a server. I do a lot of other things with my server besides hosting the InfiniTV card, so a server would make sense for me regardless of the InfiniTV card being in it.

Thank you!

I am thinking I might put it in the server. But the HTPC would work... too.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #42 of 43 Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I installed WHS 2011 on the new server 'pcupgrade' built for me two weeks ago. They had a nightmare installing it on an Asus Sabertooth Z77, but stuck with it until they got it right. Now, not wanting to mess up my treasured Workgroup setup, I decided to use PowerShell to change from 'HomeGroup', which of course lost me the automatic backup features, plus, no other machine in the WorkGroup can download the Connectore from the server. I'm not really unhappy about losing the atu-backup, as I've managed to open up all the Server 2008 R2 features that I was looking for anyway. What I am delighted about is a little device I found that allows 'Restore Points'!

Last but not least, ESET NOD32 installs & works perfectly with the kit!
post #43 of 43 Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Not really sure what you are talking about with the workgroup/homegroup thing, but the WHS backup feature is one of the highlights of running WHS. I'd rollback whatever PowerShell change you made to get things working properly.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page