New unraid user / former WHS user with unraid questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I gave Unraid a try and to me its so much better than my WHS v1 which has been good for the last two years. I made the mistake of going the WHS route just because I was put off by Linux and thought a Windows solution would be better, boy was I wrong. Just wondering if any unraid users know of a way to automatically clean power down the server after an amount of idle time, or at a set time like 1am.

I got simpletools and that would be fine to put my server to sleep, but my mobo does not support S3.

Also, can anyone recommend any other useful plugins/add-ins? A problem with the unraid forums is that there is not too much current help with questions. There is a load of archived info to find answers, but the forums dont seem as active as other forums. I'm guessing because once your unraid machine is running properly, you really dont need to do much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I don't know if there's a way that you can power down the server automatically, but there are settings in version 5.0-rc that allow you to configure the amount of time before the drives spin down. There are also a lot of plug-ins available for version 5.0 to give it added functionality. You might want to check the user customizations section of the unRAID forums and see if anyone has come up with an app that will do what you want.

I've been using an unRAID server for almost six years now and it's been great. I leave mine on 24/7. FWIW, servers are generally meant to be left running continuously. You can always connect via your web browser and shut it down manually. I'd wager that there's a way you could connect via a smartphone to do it.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I also leave mine on 24x7. There is a clean shutdown script for unmenu. I'm sure with a little research you could find a way to call it at a certain time every day.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page