Bluray ripping software, but for dummies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So I'm pretty new to ripping blurays. I tried DVDfab8, but it seems to encode the movie when trying to make MKV's. I used MakeMKV, but it's stuck in 1080p, so If I change the aspect ratio in VLC player, the black bars remain.
Is there software that will do the following?
-Bit for bit rip of the movie, without any encoding.
-Untouched audio (TruHD, DTS HD-MA)
-Eliminate the black bars on the bottom/top
-Keep the forced subtitles so I don't have to get up and turn subtitles on and off throughout the movie.

I looked at handbrake, but it appears to do some encoding. AnyDVD looks to operate like MakeMKV?

YID DIY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

So I'm pretty new to ripping blurays. I tried DVDfab8, but it seems to encode the movie when trying to make MKV's. I used MakeMKV, but it's stuck in 1080p, so If I change the aspect ratio in VLC player, the black bars remain.
-Eliminate the black bars on the bottom
-Keep the forced subtitles so I don't have to get up and turn subtitles on and off throughout the movie.

I looked at handbrake, but it appears to do some encoding. AnyDVD looks to operate like MakeMKV?

Use a real player for starters.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Instead of removing the bars during ripping, you're better off just using zoom functions in the player.

Edit: Just checked and you can remove black bars in MPC-HC, which is one of the most popular media players around here. It's under "Pan&Scan".
post #4 of 18 Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

-Eliminate the black bars on the bottom

Nope. Not both any way. Do as suggested and either put up with them (they do belong there) or distort the picture and zoom them out at playback. Quick question: do you really only have black bars on the bottom?
post #5 of 18 Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 PM

Liked: 10
Why are you trying to avoid encoding?

I use makemkv and handbrake and am very satisfied with the flexibility. You can select what you want from the disk in makemkv. HD audio, subtitles, extras etc... If you just want the movie and HD audio just select that. It creates a nice mkv file you can use in XBMC. It is relatively large and handbrake helps with that. It will slim down the files size of the mkv and crop out wasted data of the black bars. It also lets you encode in lower resolution and different formats if you want. For full 1080p with lossless HD audio I average 8-10gb per movie, which is much smaller than what is stuffed on the blu-ray.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman1605 View Post

Why are you trying to avoid encoding?
Because I have 7TB of space to use and not enough movies on hand to fill it even if duplicating entire disks. But anyway, some movies I will encode like the older Ice Age movies and some of the other older kids movies I have, but it's the new action movies I want untouched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Nope. Not both any way. Do as suggested and either put up with them (they do belong there) or distort the picture and zoom them out at playback. Quick question: do you really only have black bars on the bottom?
Good catch, I meant top and bottom. But you say I can't do both? Looks like I will have to put up with them thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Use a real player for starters.
That's not exactly helpful. I am not going to install any more players till I can figure out this ripping thing and later install XBMC. But now that that's covered...

YID DIY
post #7 of 18 Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 59
You really should just accept the black bars, as that's part of how the movie was filmed. If you must get rid of them, that means you're going to have to either distort the picture or cut the sides off. If you really hate them that much, then I would recommend using the zoom functions in your video player like I described.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

Because I have 7TB of space to use and not enough movies on hand to fill it even if duplicating entire disks. But anyway, some movies I will encode like the older Ice Age movies and some of the other older kids movies I have, but it's the new action movies I want untouched.
Good catch, I meant top and bottom. But you say I can't do both? Looks like I will have to put up with them thanks.
That's not exactly helpful. I am not going to install any more players till I can figure out this ripping thing and later install XBMC. But now that that's covered...

Sure its helpful. Not very many of us are using vlc for a reason. Its just not as good of a player (although I do agree it plays about everything you throw at it).

I agree with what others have said about accepting the black bars. Its the way the movie was meant for you to be viewed.

You asked for our opinion and here at avs this is how most watch film. Do a search for many many other discussions regarding those pesky black bars.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Using the "mkv remux" profile in DVDFab Bluray Ripper does not re-encode the material.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post

Using the "mkv remux" profile in DVDFab Bluray Ripper does not re-encode the material.
Neither does ripping with MakeMKV, but neither one will remove black bars...
post #11 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The OP has 7TB to fill and wants a VoD library that's why. Plus if you want to play a Blu-ray with software and a drive you may as well just get a Blu-ray player.

And why are we even talking about illiminating the black bars in 2013? That agument was settled in 1997..

post #12 of 18 Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

The OP has 7TB to fill and wants a VoD library that's why. Plus if you want to play a Blu-ray with software and a drive you may as well just get a Blu-ray player.

And why are we even talking about illiminating the black bars in 2013? That agument was settled in 1997..

This^

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #13 of 18 Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 153
if you remove the bars, then it wouldn't be a Bit for bit rip of the movie, without any encoding.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

if you remove the bars, then it wouldn't be a Bit for bit rip of the movie, without any encoding.

Good point..

Can't have both. Choose the bit for bit rip!

post #15 of 18 Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicamabuly View Post

Why don't you use the Blu-ray drive+Blu-ray player software to enjoy Blu-ray?
I do, but it came with some lite version of PowerDVD9 and for some reason won't play but 33% of the disks I have. It's real weird. I will put in a disk, it says it needs to update to play the disk, then when I go to update it, it says it's updated. Once I rip it, it plays fine in VLC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

This is where I was hoping to do a bit for bit copy, but not copy the black bars. I like to watch 2.35:1 movies in 2.21:1 because it fills the screen just a little bit more, but doesn't stretch things enough to be noticeable.

It looks like I will just stick with MKVs and use XBMC.

YID DIY
post #16 of 18 Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
While I totally agree that the "black bars" should be there so that the OAR is maintained but I see no reason why they should be encoded on the disc. Let the video player add the black bars during playback, why waste bits on black bars (granted two solid black bars don't take up many bits) but still it seems strange plus if you ever play it back in a window (instead of full screen) it's nice not to see those black bars. I seem to recall some DVDs came that way but I maybe wrong, memory isn't want it used to be.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're playing it in a window, why not just adjust the player software to eliminate the bars? Here's an example using VLC:

post #18 of 18 Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I don't normally use VLC (I use MPC-HC) but I am sure it has similar options. It just never occurred to me.

Thanks for the tip.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page