Adding a new HDD to my HTPC - Can it be added to a current drive letter? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > Adding a new HDD to my HTPC - Can it be added to a current drive letter?

Home Theater Computers

pman555's Avatar pman555
06:23 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 11
01-18-2013 | Posts: 217
Good morning!

On my main HTPC, I have a 2TB HDD that has two partitions, one smaller one for the OS (C Drive) and one larger partition for media storage (M Drive).
The OS partition is getting close to full and I've been thinking about adding another 2TB or so to the system and extending the OS partition a bit to leave more room.

If I do add a 2nd HDD, is there a way to add that new storage in the M Drive or does it have to be a separate partition and drive letter? It would be much simpler to keep all storage on one partition.

Thanks!
bryansj's Avatar bryansj
06:30 AM Liked: 209
post #2 of 11
01-18-2013 | Posts: 6,480
Sort of. You are wanting to use drive pooling, but with partitions. One thing you could do is just map the drive as a folder in your current M drive.

What I suggest is to buy a SSD instead and move your OS partition to it and then expand your current M: drive to use the full drive.
pman555's Avatar pman555
06:36 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Sort of. You are wanting to use drive pooling, but with partitions. One thing you could do is just map the drive as a folder in your current M drive.

What I suggest is to buy a SSD instead and move your OS partition to it and then expand your current M: drive to use the full drive.

I had wanted to do that, but I've heard that copying an OS partition to a new drive can often cause problems.
Do you know a foolproof way to do that?
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick
07:14 AM Liked: 1081
post #4 of 11
01-18-2013 | Posts: 24,498
Quote:

This is great advice.
pman555's Avatar pman555
07:16 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

This is great advice.

Mfusick, I agree, but I remember Assassin saying once that copying an OS partition over to a new drive can cause problems. Do you know of a way to do this without causing issues?
I'd love to do it.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick
07:17 AM Liked: 1081
post #6 of 11
01-18-2013 | Posts: 24,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman555 View Post

I had wanted to do that, but I've heard that copying an OS partition to a new drive can often cause problems.
Do you know a foolproof way to do that?

Acronis is the easiest. It's free if you own certain HDDs. What brand is your HDD you have now ?

Otherwise you could buy SSD and clean install to that. Nothing would change on your current set up or delete until you do so. Once you find the time and get the SSD up and running to your liking you could then delete the OS partition on your 2TB drive and just extend the other partition to the entire drive.
pman555's Avatar pman555
07:46 AM Liked: 10
post #7 of 11
The HDD i have is a Hitachi. I'll check out Acronis and start looking for SSD deals.

I'd really rather not go through the hassle of setting up my entire OS again, it took quite a while to get it running just the way i want.
pman555's Avatar pman555
08:28 AM Liked: 10
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Acronis is the easiest. It's free if you own certain HDDs. What brand is your HDD you have now ?

Otherwise you could buy SSD and clean install to that. Nothing would change on your current set up or delete until you do so. Once you find the time and get the SSD up and running to your liking you could then delete the OS partition on your 2TB drive and just extend the other partition to the entire drive.

OK, since you guys feel that cloning the OS partition is fine, I'm going to give it a shot.
Buying this drive today: http://slickdeals.net/f/5801364-160GB-Intel-X25-M-2-5-SATA-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-90-After-Rebate-S-H

Pretty good price for the drive size, since I don't need the fastest SSD around.
bryansj's Avatar bryansj
09:16 AM Liked: 209
post #9 of 11
01-18-2013 | Posts: 6,480
While you wait for the drive just Google for transferring from HDD to SSD. The main concern is that the drive is properly aligned after transfer.
pman555's Avatar pman555
09:40 AM Liked: 10
post #10 of 11
Quote:

While you wait for the drive just Google for transferring from HDD to SSD. The main concern is that the drive is properly aligned after transfer.

Thanks. I also saw on Slickdeals that the Intel SSDs come with a utility to help clone your drive as well. Any idea if that works well?
acfarrey's Avatar acfarrey
09:54 AM Liked: 10
post #11 of 11
01-18-2013 | Posts: 6
Over the Christmas Holiday, I moved from an HDD to SSD using the Windows 7 image back-up and restore process; 3 weeks later - I have 0 issues. I combined techniques from these three articles to figure out how to do it:

http://www.ssdfreaks.com/content/664/how-to-clone-hdd-to-ssd-with-windows-7s-own-software/3

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

One tip that I can give is that I had an issue with that caused some re-work. When I shrunk my C partition down and created the image, I didn't shrink the c-drive partition down enough. When I did the restore of the image, it failed with a cryptic error message (can't remember what it was). It took me forever to figure out what the issue was. For your 90 GB partition - you probably should shrink your C - partition down to 75 GB or so and you should be safe.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread