UHD 4k video cards - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
going to build a new HTPC and was wondering if any quiet video cards are available that can output 4K resolution Ultra High Definition? I know my next display will be UHD so just trying to get it right from the start. Also, Netflix just announced super HD but said it is limited to Windows8 with no mention of Windows7. Dose anyone know why Windows7 would not work since there were no changes made to media center for windows8?.

Here is some of my Stuff: Media Center Pc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrall View Post

Also, Netflix just announced super HD but said it is limited to Windows8 with no mention of Windows7. Dose anyone know why Windows7 would not work since there were no changes made to media center for windows8?.
Super HD is not available in the Media Center plugin. It is only available in the Netflix Metro app. (No Metro apps on Win7.)
post #3 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
But 'super HD' for Netflix is still likely to be way lower quality than standard full HD blu-ray. It's just a marketing ploy to get people to buy in.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 19
There are some fanless GCN-Core Radeons that can output 4K over displayport 1.2, I've seen up to 7750 at least. Can't get much quieter than that.
True Kepler-Core Nvidia 6xx series cards also support it. (beware: on the low end both amd and nvidia do stupid rebranding of older cores with new numbers)

Honestly though by the time 4k screens are a reasonable price (several years) just about any gpu should be able to handle it fine.
My next computer screen upgrade will be 4k for sure but considering that is just becoming available at around 6 grand for 32", the 30" 1600p I got for 1k a few years back has a lot of life left in it.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #5 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Super HD is not available in the Media Center plugin. It is only available in the Netflix Metro app. (No Metro apps on Win7.)

How about just directly navigating to the netflix web page?

BTW, I don't see how the internet back bone in the U.S. is going to handle 100,000,000 households streaming 30mbps HD content so this is still a ways off I think.

post #6 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

But 'super HD' for Netflix is still likely to be way lower quality than standard full HD blu-ray. It's just a marketing ploy to get people to buy in.
Not just "likely", it is.

Netflix Super HD: ~5mbps bitrate (maybe a little higher but most likely capped below 10mbps)
Bluray: 20 - 40mbps bitrate
post #7 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Possibly, I don't know. If that's the case, I'm not sure why Win7 wouldn't work if you have the IE10 beta installed. Probably an MF decoder issue.

I haven't used Netflix in quite a while.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:

BTW, I don't see how the internet back bone in the U.S. is going to handle 100,000,000 households streaming 30mbps HD content so this is still a ways off I think.

It won't be using the internet backbone hardly at all, any streaming worth its salt is using distributed CDNs much closer, typically inside ISPs (localized P2P is being played with too) but you are still right as the last mile in the US needs MAJOR upgrades.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
post #9 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum View Post

It won't be using the internet backbone hardly at all, any streaming worth its salt is using distributed CDNs much closer, typically inside ISPs (localized P2P is being played with too) but you are still right as the last mile in the US needs MAJOR upgrades.
Super HD streaming requires an ISP that is hosting a CDN as part of their Open Connect network. It costs ISP's nothing to join and Netflix will even supply the hardware. See https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect
post #10 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Possibly, I don't know. If that's the case, I'm not sure why Win7 wouldn't work if you have the IE10 beta installed. Probably an MF decoder issue.
[bI haven't used Netflix in quite a while.[/b]

Me either. I've been a member since 1997 but each time they change their model and pricing I quit. I signed up in 1997 for DVD's but then the went to monthly bank account extraction which I did not appreciate so I quit. I re-signed in 2007 when I got a Blu-ray Player with the netflix app but then the jacked their pricing so I quit again. I probably will never go back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum View Post

The last mile is the issue. Maybe I should have said that instead. Uverse is the worst. Charter has Fiber to the node but at least the cable from there to every house in my area is that ½" or thicker trunk line cable. That's got to have more bandwidth than what at&t can ever hope to provide.

post #11 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

So we drifted... I don't know anything at all about the OP's question but will watch this thread and see what I learn. biggrin.gif

post #12 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me either. I've been a member since 1997 but each time they change their model and pricing I quit. I signed up in 1997 for DVD's but then the went to monthly bank account extraction which I did not appreciate so I quit. I re-signed in 2007 when I got a Blu-ray Player with the netflix app but then the jacked their pricing so I quit again. I probably will never go back.
I personally have no interest in going back either but some people have offered to pay the streaming only subscription for me is I revive my Netflix plugin for NextPVR so I might change my mind. Too bad I can't get Super HD.

I'll stop going OT now.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:

The last mile is the issue. Maybe I should have said that instead. Uverse is the worst. Charter has Fiber to the node but at least the cable from there to every house in my area is that ½" or thicker trunk line cable. That's got to have more bandwidth than what at&t can ever hope to provide.

Yeah it generally blows chunks, even in dense areas. Most places that are even a little bit rural are boned with tons of really old copper.
I'm one of the lucky few on "real" fios in which the last mile is fiber all the way to the side of the house, capable of multiple independent gigabit+ connections. Throw in a new ONT and (maybe) upgrade the router for your neighborhood and done.
The ONT part I'm not even sure what the hardware speed cap is, it might only need provisioning to go a lot faster (300+) and I have a GBe jack on it already.
Quote:
So we drifted... I don't know anything at all about the OP's question but will watch this thread and see what I learn.

Pretty much OP should save time and money until buying an actual 4k set, since it might be a moot point by then smile.gif

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page