WMC HTPC sound issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using an older desktop pc as my htpc. I recently added a hauppauge 2250 for recording clear qam channels I receive through the cable line for free. The recordings are working great and have all sound when viewing them through my xbox on the tv. When watching on the pc connected to the tv there are no voices on some shows. It mostly is primetime tv that is the issue. I am hearing the background noise from the shows and all sound from other shows, including the news, reruns of older shows and commercials. This is affecting the recorded shows, but I also found out when the show is playing on live tv it is missing the sound.

My setup is a core 2 quad through an asus mobo with nvidia 8800gt and hauppauge 2250 using onboard sound. There is a 1/8" audio cable running to the tv and a digital out going to the receiver. I have tried eliminating as much as possible, pc going straight to tv and playing through tv speakers but it is having the same issue, any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Maybe PC is setup to play 5.1 and somehow not playing center channel stream where voices would be. I'm not sure if this is possible, but that is what it sounds like.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
PICK one means and use it! The PC may be confused on your configuration since 1/8" to TV is analog and connection to receiver is digital! HOW do you want to hear the PC? Most folks use their AVR and external speakers instead of 2-ch stereo from the TV itself. Remove the 1/8" from the PC and stick w/Digital. Then, configure it as your default audio device configuring it as 2-ch (YES, 2-ch) so it will pass the 5.1 digital stream to your AVR. You should be set!
post #4 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've previously seen mention of configuring the audio for 2-ch stereo. And I thought I saw this on my HTPC at one time. But I just looked all over at different sound & audio options & cannot find any setting for 2-ch. AFAIK everything is OK since the AVR indicates DD, but I would like to double check my settings. Where the heck do I find it?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

PICK one means and use it! The PC may be confused on your configuration since 1/8" to TV is analog and connection to receiver is digital! HOW do you want to hear the PC? Most folks use their AVR and external speakers instead of 2-ch stereo from the TV itself. Remove the 1/8" from the PC and stick w/Digital. Then, configure it as your default audio device configuring it as 2-ch (YES, 2-ch) so it will pass the 5.1 digital stream to your AVR. You should be set!

I tested it with the audio playing directly through the tv and receiver unplugged with the same results. I played one of the videos on another pc and it worked fine so I'm thinking there may be a sound driver or motherboard issue with the audio
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page