Play Ready Manual Install - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all - Thanks in advance for the help

I have a WMC setup on windows 7 with 3 extenders. I get the 'Play Ready' update needed at inconvenient times and on the extenders - where I can't run the update. It also causes us to miss recordings.

Is there a way to automate playready so it runs without my involvement? I'm just looking for this thing to run on its own.

Thanks
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM

...also having a problem with playready syncing up. is the ms web service down?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Are you saying that it should run automatically? This has not been the first time I have had the message on my machine. Is there a service I should have running I should check?

Joel
post #4 of 12 Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 AM

i am hypothesizing that for play ready to "finish" it probably needs to reach out to some web server to finish authentication/authorization.. i have no proof of this... just a hunch.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 643
If updates are failing, then there is some other underlying problem on your system. The servers are fine, since most everyone else is not having any issues.

Play Ready problems are sometimes very tough to fix. Anything you do to skip the update is only a temporary fix, and you will be asked to update again and again. I tried everything under the sun, but THIS was ultimately was the magic bit I had to install to get everything working. It would only work from IE.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-29-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I ran the update - but my question is still not answered. I never had a problem with PlayReady failing. My problem is that when the playready update runs, I get a popup and need to click 'ok' to start the update, then it installs without trouble. Is that normal or is there a way to get the update to run without my intervention?

Thanks again,
Joel
post #7 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 AM

I have the same issue as the OP and would also like some info on this.. Does everyone have to manually update playready when WMC tells you too? I would like this process to be automatic if it can be.

Also, I have noticed that sometimes I will have no TV signal and when I check using the Ceton diag tool it shows that there is not enough tuning adapters. (red mark next to it on the list). I have learned that when this happens I have to update playready, even though I never got the prompt to do so from WMC.

Of course, this always seems to happen when my wife or kids are home watching tv or like the OP said, when something is set to be recorded and it doesnt.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I hate play ready!! When I first got my HP9600 with the ATi cable card wonder thier was no play ready.
You could delete the DRM folder and WMC would reset now with play ready you can't delete the DRM folder,I tried resetdrm.exe.
Play ready should be tied to the mother board only. If you change the mother board then you have a new computer.
I don't know if play ready has to connect to a server or not.
I tried to watch cable on my HP and it lost the tuner?Play ready I don't know!
No wonder HTPC never took off like Microsofts wanted, with crap like play ready and no support,well Microsofts can go to the hot place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I've only once or twice had to manually update playready, its always done everything on its own.

Do you have the normal windows updates installed automatically?
post #10 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

I've only once or twice had to manually update playready, its always done everything on its own.

Do you have the normal windows updates installed automatically?
I have windows updates set for auto and every time I get a Windows update it turns playready off. I then have to manually update Playready everytime. My Infinitv doesn't work unless the Playready is updated/installed. It is a PITA. Keeps the system from being reliable. Much more care and feeding than a set top box. Couple this with a TA that cuts in and out and it just makes the whole setup frustrating and annoying. None of this is just really necessary in my opinion. I don't understand why both Playready and the TA functionality can not just be handled by MSO software passed through the digitial signal stream. It seems that all of the security keys and handshakes could be handled that way instead of through hardware and two different vendor's software products. If only someone could get smart about the architecture and think it all the way through for just once, we'd all have a much better experience.

EZed
post #11 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Constant playready updates are not normal. You should only have to do it once. My guess is your DRM file is corrupt. I would recommend you use the ResetDRM tool as well as running THIS update. The clean tool must be uninstalled after you run it once. If that doesn't do it, search for instructions on removing DRM manually, then run playready update again.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Constant playready updates are not normal. You should only have to do it once. My guess is your DRM file is corrupt. I would recommend you use the ResetDRM tool as well as running THIS update. The clean tool must be uninstalled after you run it once. If that doesn't do it, search for instructions on removing DRM manually, then run playready update again.

Yep, have done all of that already, the problem persists. I rehosted my system to a new SSD back in the fall so this is a fresh install. I had the problem also when I was booting off a 1TB hard drive as well. Both were fresh installs, no clone backups involved. It's just something that I have to do as part of long term maintenance. Again the reason I can't advocate using WMC to the average person for STB replacement. The variability in system hardware and the non-complete architecture between hardware manufacturers, software providers and cable MSOs is just too disjointed. I like playing with it because its one of my only hobbies. If I weren't a gear head or tech nerd I wouldn't put up with it and definitely would not be using this as my main means of AV provision. And I again, I never advocate its use to anyone faint of heart.

Then again I believe there are many people that own a computer that likely shouldn't have one.

EZed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page