Audio/Video Home Theater PC Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I'm planning out my home theatre, need some help. I have most of the parts, but not all so I can't just test this out in advance.

I have a custom built PC that has all my media. I have no cable/satellite TV, will use internet connection for all non-local content. I have movies (including Blu-Ray) ripped to HDD as well as music.

Motherboard is ASUS Sabertooth 990FX with integrated RealtekĀ® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC.
I have a dedicated GPU GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

Question is about how my integrated audio will handle sound, as well streaming video content over HDMI.

I want to connect the optical audio from the integrated audio on the PC to my reciever, which will drive two floor standing speakers.
I want to connect the graphics card (HDMI) to my TV (which will have a soundbar attached)..
In addition to this, I have one old school vintage Fischer floor standing speaker currently connected to the PC via the 3.5mm audio out (a tiny amp powers it).

Will my PC emit sound from the optical audio from the MB in addition to the sound carried over HDMI to the TV (meaning, simultaneously)
Will the Fischer that is attached via the 3.5mm jack (and tiny amp) also output sound at the same time?
- The Fischer sits beside the PC, but would be behind you if sitting on the couch watching the TV. Not audiophile surround I know, but would help a little if it works.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to save money by using parts I have, and only buying a few things. I don't have the TV yet or the soundbar so I can't test it all out.

THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-19-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Will my PC emit sound from the optical audio from the MB in addition to the sound carried over HDMI to the TV (meaning, simultaneously)

Windows can only output to one sound source at a time.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I don't use Windows. I use Ubuntu. Guess I should have mentioned that. I'll see if Ubuntu is the same way thanks.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-20-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrebelĀ View Post

I don't use Windows. I use Ubuntu. Guess I should have mentioned that. I'll see if Ubuntu is the same way thanks.
Or you should have posted /\ up there /\ in the 'Linux' sub-forum... http://www.avsforum.com/f/76/htpc-linux-chat
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page