Potentially stupid question regarding HTPC Video Post Processing... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok guys, the HTPC i hobbled together 4 years ago from an old core 2 duo and various other parts from round the house is finally taking its dying breaths.

As such, i am in the process of setting up the parts list for a new build.

Where i am having a conundrum is with the video output. I would like to have a higher end HTPC dedicated card like the ATI 6570 primarily due to its ability to post process images (de-interlace, nosie/artifact reduction, etc etc). Im not concerned about the cost of the video card so much as the rest of the hardware in the chain.

This HTPC is part of a home theater in my basement. I'm outputting via HDMI to a Marantz SR7005 Receiver, which has an Anchor Bay ABT2015 10 bit Video Processor. The Marantz is then outputting via HDMI to a Sony VPL-HW30 Projector which also has a video processor (or it might just be an upscaler). Either way, am i wasting my time by post processing the image before it gets sent to the Marantz Receiver to be "post processed" again?

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What kind of content are you pushing through the marantz and to your projector?

Blu ray 1080p?
DVD 480?
Cable provider 1080i/720p/480?

I can only see upscaling DVD content if you don't want to re-invest in buying the same movies over again.
I myself wouldn't process a processed signal, just send it natively to your projector....

You can try processing the signal from your gpu card - see how it looks on your screen....

then try just the processing in your marantz and see how it looks - then choose which looks better.....

Just my 2 cents

Toys

My Gear
post #3 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys7505 View Post

What kind of content are you pushing through the marantz and to your projector?

Blu ray 1080p?
DVD 480?
Cable provider 1080i/720p/480?

I can only see upscaling DVD content if you don't want to re-invest in buying the same movies over again.
I myself wouldn't process a processed signal, just send it natively to your projector....

You can try processing the signal from your gpu card - see how it looks on your screen....

then try just the processing in your marantz and see how it looks - then choose which looks better.....

Just my 2 cents

Toys

Sorry my bad, i guess that would be relevant info. Any and all bluray/dvd content is played on the PS3. The HTPC i use for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, and .MKV's which are usually 720p.

Projector is projecting at 1080p.

As far as disabling the processing, im pretty sure i can do that on the projector, but not the receiver. So, in theory then i would probably just disable it on the PC as well and let the receiver handle all post processing?

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #4 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Your 7005 is definitely "no slouch" of a receiver.......it should have a "pass through" option for video processing so that it doesn't even touch it.

Check your menus and look for a defeat setting......

Toys

My Gear
post #5 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, i guess what im trying to determine at this point is if the Video Processor in the receiver is "better" than the video processing done by the Radeon 6570. If so, i'll just use the HDMI output from the Intel HD graphics built into the CPU rather than getting a seperate card, and then let the receiver do the processing.

post #6 of 6 Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 AM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm facing roughly the same questions.

My htpc runs mediaportal and I was under the impression it outputs all its content at the desktop res. I've seen no sign of resolution switching depending on the source, the vidcard probably does the upscaling automatically.

So basically, whatever's on the end of the hdmi cable believes it receive 1080p.

Then any upscaling or filters automatically assigned by the hardware processors (tv, amps, ...) to sd content aren't triggered.

And even if you can force the upscaling/filters on your hardware, it will still process an already upscaled 1080p frame, which is surely worse than working with the untouched sd frame.

Maybe I'm totally wrong in which case I would be glad to have your ideas on the subject.

Right now I'm using ffdshow's internal processing and avisynth through ffdshow to upscale/deblock etc.

That, unfortunately, mostly depends on CPU and not GPU. So in the case of an HTPC I'd say go for a big CPU. A big GPU is mostly usefull if you play with the same machine.

To have an idea, the quad 9400 in my HTPC can easily become saturated by deblocking/upscaling then sharpening sd to 1080p if you push the quality parameters too high.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page