Battery Backup / UPS for HTPC and AV System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I've been using an APC ES725 UPS for my HTPC and other equipment at my main TV. It started its life in my office connected to a desktop PC before I moved to a laptop. Yesterday the unit kindly told me by beeping once every second that it needed its battery replaced. The battery is ~$45 to replace.

Anyone have any input on what a good AV system needs for a battery backup? I never really purchased it for this job, but it seemed to work well enough. I either need to get a new battery or research a new unit that may be a better fit. IIRC, I use the battery backup ports for my HTPC, an ethernet switch for my TV, AVR, and Xbox 360, and my Xbox 360 that hardly gets any use. The AVR and TV use only the surge protected ports. The intent of the battery backup is to keep the HTPC running for recorded TV as well as for a soft shutdown and with the 360 to potentially not lose game progress during a short outage. The ethernet switch is for low end network usage since I only have 3 gigabit ports wired to the viewing area and has minimal power draw.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I've been using an APC ES725 UPS for my HTPC and other equipment at my main TV. It started its life in my office connected to a desktop PC before I moved to a laptop. Yesterday the unit kindly told me by beeping once every second that it needed its battery replaced. The battery is ~$45 to replace.

Anyone have any input on what a good AV system needs for a battery backup? I never really purchased it for this job, but it seemed to work well enough. I either need to get a new battery or research a new unit that may be a better fit. IIRC, I use the battery backup ports for my HTPC, an ethernet switch for my TV, AVR, and Xbox 360, and my Xbox 360 that hardly gets any use. The AVR and TV use only the surge protected ports. The intent of the battery backup is to keep the HTPC running for recorded TV as well as for a soft shutdown and with the 360 to potentially not lose game progress during a short outage. The ethernet switch is for low end network usage since I only have 3 gigabit ports wired to the viewing area and has minimal power draw.

If you like what you have just replace the battery. You won't find an decent UPS of the rating for less than the cost of the battery. Try looking around E-Bay for the battery. I get the batteries you probably need for around $10 near me. I buy up used UPS and second hand stores and replace the batteries. I just found a $200 APC unit for $10 and got it running for 20 bucks worth of batteries.
Reply Home Theater Computers