Looking into Windows Media Center/Extenders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope this is the correct section, if not mods please move.

I posted this in "Networking, Media Servers & Content Streamers" a few days ago but got 0 replies.

I am looking at having a home built in the next few months. I am trying to think ahead of time what I want to do TV wise. I am looking into using Windows Media Center and Extenders. One of the reasons I am looking at doing this (besides cost of boxes/DVRs to cable cards) is that we already have a couple of Xbox 360s in the house which I see support this. I also already have a server with 7 TB of storage available running WHS v1 but am willing to change it over to an operating system that will better suite this need. As far as tuners I have figured I only need 4 (2 dual tuner cards).

My question to people here is:

People using this setup, what Windows OS have you found to work best? <-- this is not to start an OS war, just with there already being a couple of 360s in the house along with 8 PCs, I am trying to keep it simple.

Other than the 360, any other devices out there that do the same thing?

Suggestions for alternatives to what I am looking at doing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Win7 works great. Win8 has some bugs to work out.

The new ceton echo is in its infancy. I've had one since day one of the beta and it is basically there for a whole home dvr solution. it is fanless so it is quite and only uses 5watts of power so it is "green" and economical to operate. Eventually they will get mkv's working I think.. and android os for who knows what but the possibilities are endless there.

Mine is working pretty well on the latest f/w but is having some minor issues with EDID I think but I am working with ceton to hammer it out, so to speak. I recommend it.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pidaso View Post

what Windows OS have you found to work best? <-- this is not to start an OS war, just with there already being a couple of 360s in the house along with 8 PCs, I am trying to keep it simple.

Windows 8 works perfectly fine with 360's as long as you install updates from Windows update.
In particular, KB2785094 fixes several extender playback quality issues with the 360.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

That is true. OTOH, MS has blocked out other third party extenders with Win8 which is a violation of anti-trust laws if you ask me so they don't get any money from me to "upgrade" to a system that won't work with my set up. Win7 works great for everything I do and see no reason to upgrade at all.

post #5 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

OTOH, MS has blocked out other third party extenders with Win8

That is odd.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Microsoft didnt block anything. What they did was change the RDP protocols used by extenders. At the time Windows 8 was released, all extenders other than 360's were end of life products and no longer supported by their manufacturers. The echo was not on the market when Windows 8 was released. Only speaking for myself in the following statement, most likely ceton will still get into the Windows 8 market if they can support these new protocols with a firmware update. If it requires a hardware update, that would be the nail in their coffin so to speak.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

That may be true but the echo was in development at the same time as Win8 and M$ also pulled the plug on WMC in Win8 embedded right after the Q was announced. I cannot see any other answer for this except the anti-trust nature of M$ M.O. from the past continues today. My opinion? Yes, but it sure looks that way so as Win8 will not work in my set up and Win7 does everything I need in both my PC and my HTPC I have no need for it at this time.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM
t-c

Liked: 16
Quote:

I hope this is the correct section, if not mods please move.

I posted this in "Networking, Media Servers & Content Streamers" a few days ago but got 0 replies.

I am looking at having a home built in the next few months. I am trying to think ahead of time what I want to do TV wise. I am looking into using Windows Media Center and Extenders. One of the reasons I am looking at doing this (besides cost of boxes/DVRs to cable cards) is that we already have a couple of Xbox 360s in the house which I see support this. I also already have a server with 7 TB of storage available running WHS v1 but am willing to change it over to an operating system that will better suite this need. As far as tuners I have figured I only need 4 (2 dual tuner cards).

My question to people here is:

People using this setup, what Windows OS have you found to work best? <-- this is not to start an OS war, just with there already being a couple of 360s in the house along with 8 PCs, I am trying to keep it simple.

Other than the 360, any other devices out there that do the same thing?

Suggestions for alternatives to what I am looking at doing?

Thanks!

I'd recommend Windows 8 + WMC + XBOX Extenders + the upcoming (mid-2013) 4 tuner Silicondust HDHomeRun Prime.

This configuration will position you for the future particularly if your family uses tablets or other mobiles. The 4 tuner HDHomeRun includes a hardware based adaptive h.264 transcoder specifically designed to stream TV directly to mobiles without the need for PC/WMC.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

I'd recommend Windows 8 + WMC + XBOX Extenders + the upcoming (mid-2013) 4 tuner Silicondust HDHomeRun Prime.

This configuration will position you for the future particularly if your family uses tablets or other mobiles. The 4 tuner HDHomeRun includes a hardware based adaptive h.264 transcoder specifically designed to stream TV directly to mobiles without the need for PC/WMC.

Hmm, so no direct PC connection? So if using a Xbox 360 and you tell it to record something, where does it get recorded? On the 360? And if so, how do other devices in the house access recorded content if that device is not always on?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

It may be just me but watching tv on a 10" screen in my lap is not appealing at all.

That said, I like where SD is going with things. And I like where ceton is going with the echo too. I probably will do both but have had my fill of betas right now and am not going to beta the HDHR Prime for DLNA stuff as it is my only tuner. When they get that hammered out and if there's devices that can use it that aren't tablets in my lap then I will look into it further.

Win8, not so much though as like I've said my Win7 system works so why mess with success?

post #11 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 AM
t-c

Liked: 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

Hmm, so no direct PC connection? So if using a Xbox 360 and you tell it to record something, where does it get recorded? On the 360? And if so, how do other devices in the house access recorded content if that device is not always on?

There are two usage scenarios. (1) is the traditional room based TV/DVR expeience that the existing HTPC + Extender model serves. (2) is TV on mobiles, tablets, consoles.The upcomming HDHomeRun serves both scenarios, and scenario (2) does not require a PC in the middle.

Edit to add:

If you also want playback of DVR recordings or other file on mobiles, then 3rd party app is required on the device to do that.Take a look at Ceton, Elegato, etc. PC in the middle may be required for transcoding.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

It could very well be android on the echo for playback via DLNA IT protected content from the Prime or new HDHR 4 tuner models.. Interesting.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page