Please recommend software for movie and optionally audio library cataloging - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A while age I decided that I don’t need to spin 30 drives if I need to use an only one. So now I have a shelf with hard drives with movie backups and most of my computers have trayless HDD docks. I like the solution, but it is becoming quite painful to search for something specific. So I’m looking for a tool that will keep track of what stored where. I want it being able to [re-]scan connected storage and add/update it contend in a database. The ultimate goal is being able to type partial movie name and get something like “HDD#32, HDD#12” for a movie location.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I think My Movies should do this. For each movie in the collection database, it should tell you where it's stored.

The real question, though, is why in the world don't you just use a server? Is it just the spinning of the hard drives that bothers you? Unless you're using RAID with striping, only the appropriate hard drive will spin up.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Yea

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I think My Movies should do this. For each movie in the collection database, it should tell you where it's stored.

The real question, though, is why in the world don't you just use a server? Is it just the spinning of the hard drives that bothers you? Unless you're using RAID with striping, only the appropriate hard drive will spin up.
Thanks, I'll look at My Movies.

I don't run dedicated file server mostly because of a general laziness: I don't mind just plugging a hard drive into my Dune. Also I don't need a server running 24/7. I don't want to stress all the hard drives every weekend I will start it up. I believe they are much better on the self spinning just few times a year. There is also no possibility that faulty PSU will kill all my hard drives at once smile.gif
post #5 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
If I were you, I'd put all thes HDD's in a case with a raid card and use something like MediaBrowser, XBMC or MyMovies, but I am not you.

post #6 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 51
i would be more worried about handling them so often. Could drop one accidentally.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

i would be more worried about handling them so often. Could drop one accidentally.

This. I'm sure the hard drives are far more likely to be damaged from moving them around then from spinning them up occasionally.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 125
What wouldn't I give for AoE to have become a wider standard....and hard drives had ethernet jacks built in....smile.gif
post #9 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 180
For some reason I picture a bunch of low capacity HDDs with a single movie on each.

Maybe you could burn each movie to a disc and then print out a cover and put them into a DVD case. Then you could see which movie you want by reading the cover. Pop it into the DVD tray and watch that movie. When finished you simply eject it and put it back into its case and place it back on the shelf.

post #10 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

For some reason I picture a bunch of low capacity HDDs with a single movie on each.

Maybe you could burn each movie to a disc and then print out a cover and put them into a DVD case. Then you could see which movie you want by reading the cover. Pop it into the DVD tray and watch that movie. When finished you simply eject it and put it back into its case and place it back on the shelf.

hey, that sounds like a gre......heyyyy! wait a minute. Watchoo talking about Willis?!?

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #11 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No they all at least 1TB hard drives. About 40 movies on each.
I've tried "burn it" way before and it is definitly where I want to be again. And I doubt it is easier to search among 1000 DVD cases on the shelves smile.gif
post #12 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

In all seriousness, before the days of digitizing everything, this is what i did for my cd catalog.

1. use an excel sheet.that got outdated and not fun to use, so then i went to....
2. when xbmc got popular, i created a dummy file for xbmc to catalog, e.g. a text file called and renamed to "Star Wars (1977).mkv". then edit the nfo file to show which cd holder it was in. that still was too much work so then i went on to...
3. digitize everything and use xbmc with a server/htpc system and flexraid.

post #13 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This. I'm sure the hard drives are far more likely to be damaged from moving them around then from spinning them up occasionally.
It is not just about "damaging" it is about other little things:
1) convenience: I don't like to navigate 1000 titles from the Dune remote.
2) where to put 20-30 drives?- I can't find a case with more then 12 HDD bays, so I need external enclosures or a second PC to do this. I would also need the extra SATA ports for it....

I don't want to go there just to index the movies and all the other things (reliability, etc) seems to be relatively same for me.
post #14 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

In all seriousness, before the days of digitizing everything, this is what i did for my cd catalog.

1. use an excel sheet.that got outdated and not fun to use, so then i went to....
I was thinking about writing Excel macros smile.gif
post #15 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

yeah i got crazy with the excel. i was hyperlinking the imdb page to the names in the excel file too. not the prettiest solution but worked.

post #16 of 24 Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, My Movies is quite nice, but it does a lot of good stuff, except one most important and one nice-to-have thing: it doesn't support support "offline folders" and it doesn't index individual files. Any other tool can do it?
post #17 of 24 Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Would this not work for you?

"My Movies for Cataloging and Watching Discs on your Shelf (Offline Discs)"

Not sure what you mean about MyMovies not indexing individual files. I have it indexing individual .mkv and .iso files with no issues.

post #18 of 24 Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Would this not work for you?

"My Movies for Cataloging and Watching Discs on your Shelf (Offline Discs)"

Not sure what you mean about MyMovies not indexing individual files. I have it indexing individual .mkv and .iso files with no issues.
Unfortunately it will not, as I don't want to individually enter thousand movies by typing barcode. I really want to plug hard drive, index it, unplug it , plug next... [do 23 times]. I was thinking about changing mu little indexer to write directly to the My Movie database. What I don't like is that disc location is hidden in the pop up window, instead of being on the main one. It far more important then movie barcode, rating reason. It looks like My Movie was not designed handling large collection on the offline media. Reading My Movie forum and seeing few request for this I cant comprehend why it is so hard to add am "Import form offline storage" tab with a folder, device name and an button "Import". Seems like all code should be already there just new category needed.

By "not indexing individual files" I mean that I've seen a warning on the import screen when I've tried to select individual files option that "each movie suppose to be stored in a separate folder"

So is there anything else?
post #19 of 24 Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

file2folder utility? i just got it to help me put individual movies in folders of the same name.

post #20 of 24 Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't have to enter barcodes for My Movies. You can search by name or by IMDB. The barcodes are just supposed to automate things. My Movies will look at the files and try to automatically match based on names. I've never used barcodes with My Movies.

You need your movies into folders. That file2folder utility mentioned will do that for you. Most indexers will require the files to be in individual folders.

There is not going to be an easy automated solution that will fit your end goal.

post #21 of 24 Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Is it possible to refetch the movie info from My Movies web service for bunch of movies? I'm thinking about adding movies directly to the database and then running "fetch data" on all of them
post #22 of 24 Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM

In my opinion, it is difficult to re-scan connected storage and add it contend in a database.
post #23 of 24 Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
You guys using MY MOVIES you use it mainly for ISO playback ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #24 of 24 Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I use it for .mkv, .avi, .iso, dvd and blu-ray folders, and whatever else.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page