Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido2 View Post

Yup, thats just enough to get my started. I found Unified remote worked very well for media related functions, but since I have a viewing distance of about 10-12feet on a 50 inch TV, I found it hard to read any text. Whats the name of the remote desktop app you use?

Confirming what I use at home: WinVNC on the server - and for the client on the my Android Tablet there are a few choices, but the APP i have is 'androidVNC' https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=android.androidVNC&hl=en

To speak to what 'mdavej' said: If you are viewing a webpage on your 50'inch screen in Chrome, the unified remote control gives you easy buttons to crank up the page/font size. However if you are quite far away, and your trying to read some text: For instance? Which file should I click on in a details file list. The picture can be diamond clear, and be and that wonderful 1080p mode, but still you might need super eyes to distinguish one item from another.

--- In my case I don't have that large a room (but I understand your dilemma)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post

Confirming what I use at home: WinVNC on the server - and for the client on the my Android Tablet there are a few choices, but the APP i have is 'androidVNC' https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=android.androidVNC&hl=en

To speak to what 'mdavej' said: If you are viewing a webpage on your 50'inch screen in Chrome, the unified remote control gives you easy buttons to crank up the page/font size. However if you are quite far away, and your trying to read some text: For instance? Which file should I click on in a details file list. The picture can be diamond clear, and be and that wonderful 1080p mode, but still you might need super eyes to distinguish one item from another.

--- In my case I don't have that large a room (but I understand your dilemma)

Its definitely something I'll be looking more into in the future, but for now I'll see how increasing the font size works for me. To be honest, Ive been looking at the nexus 7 for a long time now, but couldn't justify it since I have the Galaxy nexus phone. If increasing the font size isn't sufficient, it looks like I'll have one more reason to pick one up. Also, the wife doesn't have a smart phone so being able to control the HTPC when I'm not around is a must.

Thank you all for your input. Having the level of control I have now has made this project all the more sweeter.

post #33 of 47 Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Just one more thing. I don't know how you use your HTPC typically, but mine is primarily for watching/recording cable TV. So 99% of the time I simply use a regular old IR universal remote. Mostly when I'm web surfing or doing some sort of maintenance do I have to resort to a keyboard/mouse app. And I've used VNC maybe twice in 2 years just to play with it.

Although smart phone apps are cool, fun, and nice to look at, IMO they pale in comparison to a normal IR remote that doesn't require you to look down to use it, charge it every day, wake it up, get interrupted with phone calls, or worry about droppping it. And an IR remote can control volume, run macros and control the rest of your home theater. (Technically a smart phone can too, but that gets expensive and complicated very fast). So I think getting a good IR remote should be your top priority if you primarily use Windows Media Center as I do. If, on the other hand, you think using a smart phone or tablet as a remote is the best thing since sliced bread, then forge ahead with that nexus. I think the nexus does have IR, so that will save you some money if you turn it into a full blown remote for your entire home theater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 47 Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I also have the antec fusion case with imon/soundgraph. I would agree with the earlier posts - get a cheapo IR receiver. I struggled with imon for about 1 year (trying software updates, etc) and it only got worse.

No major issues with the new receiver. One thing to keep in mind, on Amazon the popular MCE remote (which I now have) uses the "ortek" programming on a harmony one. This works just fine, but would have been more flexible if I bought a true microsoft remote wand was able to use "microsoft SE" HTPC profile in Harmony, which enables the use of sending many keyboard functions (alt + keys, etc).

I would also agree with earlier comment on touch screen remotes....just personal preference but do not really care for them. I find it annoying to have to tilt the remote up and find a button on the screen.....then keep my finger just right after tilting it back down or I hit the wrong button. Can be difficult while lying on the couch (versus sitting up). My next remote I will look for something with just buttons but flexibility to send keyboard commands.

chuga
post #35 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuga View Post

I also have the antec fusion case with imon/soundgraph. I would agree with the earlier posts - get a cheapo IR receiver. I struggled with imon for about 1 year (trying software updates, etc) and it only got worse.

No major issues with the new receiver. One thing to keep in mind, on Amazon the popular MCE remote (which I now have) uses the "ortek" programming on a harmony one. This works just fine, but would have been more flexible if I bought a true microsoft remote wand was able to use "microsoft SE" HTPC profile in Harmony, which enables the use of sending many keyboard functions (alt + keys, etc).

I would also agree with earlier comment on touch screen remotes....just personal preference but do not really care for them. I find it annoying to have to tilt the remote up and find a button on the screen.....then keep my finger just right after tilting it back down or I hit the wrong button. Can be difficult while lying on the couch (versus sitting up). My next remote I will look for something with just buttons but flexibility to send keyboard commands.

chuga

So if you were to do it again, which receiver/software would you use for a Harmony (I have the 700)? Do you find the screen in the case useful at all?

As for the tablet/smart phone control, I would agree for the most part. I personally use it as a supplemental control. The Unified Remote app's profiles are fairly helpful, while the IR remote (in my limited use with the HTPC) is good for basic scrolling functions. One thing I really like with the phone control is the "media" tab on the xbmc profile. It lists all media that is on your xbmc giving you the ability to browse and play songs from anywhere in the house.

post #36 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I still need to find a great remote solution...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #37 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

They still need to make one. C'mon Harmony qwerty
post #38 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

They still need to make one. C'mon Harmony qwerty

I wouldn't hold your breath for that one.

post #39 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Don't we all.

In defense of the iMon - Yes, the software isn't very good and their website looks like it's managed by seventh graders, but if you're patient and work through the iMon options, it does work. I use iMon on both my HTPC's and they work about as well as I would expect. I use Harmony 620's on both machines. The only thing I can't seem to utilize are the activity buttons on the remote, but I blame that more on Logitech than Soundgraph. My biggest complaint about the iMon is the LCD on my Antec Fusion case just freezes once in a while. The only thing that fixes it is unplugging the power cord from the system and waiting for about 20 minutes. I don't have the LCD on the other HTPC.. just the iMon software and the receiver. That one works fine.

I also use diNovo minis for keyboard and mouse functionality. I really don't like having two remotes per system, but until something that combines the functionality of both devices comes along, I can live with it.
post #40 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM

I unplugged the LCD display on my fusion. It was horrible quality - very washed out and bright and I could not read anything (and distracting to have on during a movie).

I could just have gotten a bad LCD, so not sure if this is all Fusions. That said, I do not miss the feature of having a display on a HPTC and if rebuilding would not look for one.

If I order another IR remote / receiver it will be one with microsoft protocol. I don't think you can find the actual microsoft remotes anymore (maybe on ebay) but I think the HP/Dell and some similar ones on amazon do use microsoft protocols and can be setup as such in the Harmony software.
post #41 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I unplugged the LCD display on my fusion. It was horrible quality - very washed out and bright and I could not read anything (and distracting to have on during a movie).

Agree on the quality. Worst font for a clock I've ever seen. The back lighting is adjustable though.. and there is also an option to shut off the LCD during video playback (and it shuts off during TV playback, too). Like I said.. if you're patient, you can make it work.
post #42 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM

I did used to enable the "turn of while playing" option. What used to plague me was the remote commands would just stop working for no reason, and I would have to reboot to get it fixed.

imon has a test program you can run to display any IR commands being received and I spend hours trying to troubleshoot the issue. I must say...no issues after moving to a different receiver.

There is another drawback - imon did allow (with the fusion) a true poweroff/poweron option. I got around that by just setting power button to go to sleep and not power off. Then I have a button on the harmony to do a true reboot if I ever need to do that.
post #43 of 47 Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...If I order another IR remote / receiver it will be one with microsoft protocol. I don't think you can find the actual microsoft remotes anymore (maybe on ebay) but I think the HP/Dell and some similar ones on amazon do use microsoft protocols and can be setup as such in the Harmony software.
I prefer the ones that use the ORtek protocol. They're cheaper than MCE ones and include mouse controls. They work fine with universal remotes as well.

post #44 of 47 Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So what's the best choice in remote ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #45 of 47 Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Harmony or URC for everyday stuff, smart phone app for everything else. That's reliable, cheap and simple. Pretty much the same answer as the last time you asked this question. There are tons of options out there, most more complex and expensive than my solution, but can be made to work quite well. What do you currently use, and what don't you like about it? What specific problems are you trying to solve? With the IR/RF remote and smart phone solution, all TV viewing activity works just like it would if you had Tivo. All PC activity (web surfing, etc.), works just like is does as if you were using a wireless keyboard and mouse, and costs less that $5. As for a good all-in-one solution, that does not exist.
fido2 likes this.

post #46 of 47 Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Harmony or URC for everyday stuff, smart phone app for everything else. That's reliable, cheap and simple. Pretty much the same answer as the last time you asked this question. There are tons of options out there, most more complex and expensive than my solution, but can be made to work quite well. What do you currently use, and what don't you like about it? What specific problems are you trying to solve? With the IR/RF remote and smart phone solution, all TV viewing activity works just like it would if you had Tivo. All PC activity (web surfing, etc.), works just like is does as if you were using a wireless keyboard and mouse, and costs less that $5. As for a good all-in-one solution, that does not exist.

In my short experience, this is dead on.

As far as phone/tablet remotes go - Yaste and Unified Remote are good for Android, Hippo Remote looks like a good iOS remote, but i can't test that.
My harmony remote will be set up tonight, starting with iMon as that is whats already on my system.

post #47 of 47 Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks guys

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page