AVS Forum banner

Wireless Networking question

1K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  lovekeiiy 
#1 ·
Hypothetically speaking, Could I run my cable modem into a switch and plug 2 different wireless routers into that switch for two separate networks that both have internet access?

This could be useful for me in 2 ways. First it would allow me to have separate networks for my G and N devices. Second I could set up routers at different locations in my house allowing a better signal based on which router I connect to.

I really don't need to do this as I am in the process of hard wiring everything in my house except the laptops and cell phones, but I was just curious if it was even an option.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiboboo  /t/1453610/wireless-networking-question#post_22875394

This thread got me thinking about a possible solution to an annoying problem I've encountered: I cannot get my ps3 to connect wirelessly, but wired it's just fine.

I've tried manual set up with assigning the ps3 a static ip. I've turned off the router firewall as well as the wpa2 psk of the ssid. I've tried a combination of things, but nothing has worked.

I have an Asus rt-ac66u, so I have separate 5ghz ac and 2.4ghz networks set up. I have an Engenius ESR9850 N router currently sitting unused which boasts a "range extender" feature. What I'm looking to do is have the Asus maintain it's position in the network as the main router and have the Engenius sit downstairs by the ps3 and pick up the 2.4ghz N network wirelessly. I don't want a separate N network with a different ssid, as the Asus' network signal strength is good enough throughout my house. My only end goal for this is to plug the ps3 into the Engenius to hopefully trick the ps3 into thinking it's truly a wired connection, and thus work. This should be feasible, correct?

Well, you really need to give more information. Basically, you're want to use the Engnenious as a repeater or a bridge, wihich is WiFi or wired connection respoective, to the main router.

Where does PS3 fail in connecting to the ASUS. It's possible, the PS3 does not play nice with the ASUS. Does the PS3 even see the SSID on the ASUS; I'm assuming you're broadcast is set to be seen. Have tried manually entering the SSID and passphrase? The static IP would be something you need for portforwading or DMZ because you're not getting a NAT2.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiboboo  /t/1453610/wireless-networking-question#post_22875394

This thread got me thinking about a possible solution to an annoying problem I've encountered: I cannot get my ps3 to connect wirelessly, but wired it's just fine.

I've tried manual set up with assigning the ps3 a static ip. I've turned off the router firewall as well as the wpa2 psk of the ssid. I've tried a combination of things, but nothing has worked.

I have an Asus rt-ac66u, so I have separate 5ghz ac and 2.4ghz networks set up. I have an Engenius ESR9850 N router currently sitting unused which boasts a "range extender" feature. What I'm looking to do is have the Asus maintain it's position in the network as the main router and have the Engenius sit downstairs by the ps3 and pick up the 2.4ghz N network wirelessly. I don't want a separate N network with a different ssid, as the Asus' network signal strength is good enough throughout my house. My only end goal for this is to plug the ps3 into the Engenius to hopefully trick the ps3 into thinking it's truly a wired connection, and thus work. This should be feasible, correct?

Well, you really need to give more information. Basically, you're want to use the Engnenious as a repeater or a bridge, wihich is WiFi or wired connection respoective, to the main router.

Where does PS3 fail in connecting to the ASUS. It's possible, the PS3 does not play nice with the ASUS. Does the PS3 even see the SSID on the ASUS; I'm assuming you're broadcast is set to be seen. Have tried manually entering the SSID and passphrase? The static IP would be something you need for portforwading or DMZ because you're not getting a NAT2.

#31 ·

Quote:

#32 ·
The ps3 gives me an error saying "connection to the access point could not be established, check the security settings for the wireless lan." It fails in the very beginning when running the connection test on the ps3, in that it fails to even obtain an ip address. The ps3 does see the ssid on the asus. I have manually entered the ssid and passphrase as part of many attempts to get it to connect. I gave it a static ip just as something to try, since it fails to obtain one on it's own.

I set up the engenius as a wireless repeater, so it's picking up my 2.4ghz N wireless network from the Asus. I have hard wired the ps3 into the engenius, and then manually entered all the same network settings as when trying to connect directly to the Asus wireless network. I still used the static ip, with the same ssid and same password, UPnP enabled. When hard wired into the repeater, these settings work, and I can connect with an NAT type 2, though my speed is halved due to connecting to the repeater. When I use all the exact same settings trying to connect wirelessly to network, it gives the error I wrote in the first sentence of this post.

It's seeming all the more likely that the Asus and the ps3 just aren't going to get along and I'm not going to be able to force them to either.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiboboo  /t/1453610/wireless-networking-question/0_50#post_22876360

I have an original fat ps3. I know it has wireless n because it sees my N only network if I run a scan for ssid's.

I know for a fact your original ps3 does NOT have wireless N. It can connect just fine if you're setting up your network as b/g/n

Based on what you said earlier you were trying to connect it to a dedicated N-only band. This will not work, even the slims don't have wireless N. Only the newest super-slims might have it

Setup the network as b/g/n and you'll connect just fine. If it's not connecting on wpa2 leave it wpa

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/techspecs/160gb.html

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiboboo  /t/1453610/wireless-networking-question/0_50#post_22879117

Interesting, I'll try that a bit later today. It seems odd/illogical that it can see my N only wireless network, but would not have the capability to connect to it, but then again, when has something being odd or illogical stopped it from being true?

True, I remember you stating this, sadly I cannot explain. I'm not sure why it can see the N band nor if that is normal behavior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.