post #61 of 70 Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Holy crap, that's 14 tuners. How much TV do you watch?!?

I have the infiniTV4. It's been great though I never got the networking part to work consistently well (My tuners kept losing their bindings and I'd have to reset it up). I'm probably going to add an HDHomeRun Prime in the future so I can have TV on my other two PC's without messing with the main DVR.
It's not a matter of how many shows I watch but rather the way in which they're recorded. I pad all of my recordings by 10 minutes at the beginning and end of each show. This requires separate tuners to be available for each recording as there tends to be a lot of overlap if shows are aired consecutively on the same channel.

I'm actually using 17 tuners at the moment (it tends to change almost on a daily basis). The primary HTPC has dual InfiniTV4's, a Hauppauge 2250, and a AverMedia Duet installed internally. In addition, I have a HDHomeRun Prime and a HDHR Dual on my network that's shared with other PCs. That gives me a total of 17 available tuners on my primary HTPC with 5 of the tuners available to all other TVs.

I prefer the HDHR tuners for networking since they're not tied to a specific PC. I tried experimenting with extenders a couple of years ago so I could eliminate the need for cable boxes and it was met with huge resistance from the family. The primary HTPC that hosted the extenders was having issues and the extenders would go out all over the house on a frequent basis. I have since replaced the extenders with standalone SFF PCs. The epic fail with extenders taught me not to make every TV dependent on one primary source, hence the reason why I don't network my Ceton tuners.

My HTPC is rock solid and perfectly stable now, but I still won't network my tuners for the same reason I don't use extenders. OTOH, I have a Ceton Echo that I only power up about once a week to see if there's a new firmware update. If there is I'll update the Echo and see if they've added the features I've been waiting for. So far the Echo has been powered back down after each firmware update, but I'm still hopeful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post

Re: OP: I use the USB connected DCR-2650. Only dual tuner, and not networked, but cheaper at 100 bucks, perhaps less on sale.

Re: threadjack
Is anyone upgrading their routers to IvP6?
Cost per tuner is on a par with the InfiniTV4 and the HDHR Prime at about $50 apiece. The real cost savings is appreciated by the fact that the InfiniTV4 has twice as many tuners but still requires only a single cablecard rental. I'm on FIOS and they apparently just jacked up their cablecard rates to $5.99 per month (they were only $2.99 for S-cards when I activated my 1st S3 Tivo and then increased to $3.99). At $6 per month, you're going to pay far more in the long run for a dual tuner than you will for four tuners if you break down the cost on a per tuner basis.

I haven't looked into IvP6 yet. I just got my pfSense router up and running with internet service last week. I got it working initially, but none of my PCs could connect to the internet. Turns out there was a checkbox on one of the setup screens that was checked by default that I needed to uncheck. It's tough to follow setup tutorials that are online when you can't connect to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 AM
t-c

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The big payoff for HDHR customers comes mid-2013 when the new 4x tuner model with adaptive h264 transcoding is released. This opens the door for reliable, direct streaming to tablets and mobiles including copy-once content..

Also in 2013, SD will be shaping up their DLNA/DTCP stack, and with partners, releasing new DTCP player and dvr clients for several platforms.

Looking good for SD this year.
post #63 of 70 Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

The big payoff for HDHR customers comes mid-2013 when the new 4x tuner model with adaptive h264 transcoding is released. This opens the door for reliable, direct streaming to tablets and mobiles including copy-once content..

Also in 2013, SD will be shaping up their DLNA/DTCP stack, and with partners, releasing new DTCP player and dvr clients for several platforms.

I can't imagine too many home theater enthusiasts would be all that interested in streaming any worthwhile content to tablets or smartphones. The minimum screen size I will watch for video is 42". Otherwise, I won't waste my time with it because it's simply not enjoyable to watch. Watching Hi-Def on a miniscule screen with mediocre audio seems like heading in the opposite direction from HDTV. If I can't get the complete home theater experience I'd rather be reading a book. Then again, maybe that's just me.
post #64 of 70 Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I can't imagine too many home theater enthusiasts would be all that interested in streaming any worthwhile content to tablets or smartphones. The minimum screen size I will watch for video is 42". Otherwise, I won't waste my time with it because it's simply not enjoyable to watch. Watching Hi-Def on a miniscule screen with mediocre audio seems like heading in the opposite direction from HDTV. If I can't get the complete home theater experience I'd rather be reading a book. Then again, maybe that's just me.

A 10" tablet screen isn't miniscule when it's a foot away from you. Combine the iPad screen with a nice pair of headphones, and it's hardly a bad video/audio experience at all. Sometimes other people are using the TV, so being able to use a tablet is really nice. Plus, I can use it wherever I want, out on the deck for example.
post #65 of 70 Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I'd agree for watching movies, but sports or news type content, It would be nice to carry around the house or have in the garage while I do other stuff. My kids will watch video on anything.
post #66 of 70 Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I Plex content to my phone at work occassionally when I am doing something mundane like computer entry.

post #67 of 70 Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
I see both points. There is critical and non critical viewing

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #68 of 70 Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 185
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

I'd tend to agree with the others. It is just you, says the guy watching the news in a 5" diagonal window as he types this...
Sammy2 likes this.
post #69 of 70 Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Do you have kids?
post #70 of 70 Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Do you have kids?
I do, but they're both grown up. I now have a grandson with number two on the way (and it's a girl). However, I see where you're going with this so I will revise my statement and concede that there are instances where the ability to stream to other devices with small screens may be desirable. OTOH, my grandson loves watching the Sprout channel on a 42" HDTV.

FWIW, I have no desire to watch anything on a small screen, regardless of what it is. If there's a sporting event I want to see I will watch it on a big screen (and you can bet I'll be watching my Ravens on Sunday). My mindset is that if it's worth watching at all, it should be watched in Hi-Def and only on a big screen. I can't recall the last time I even watched an inflight movie because the audio and video just makes me cringe. I spend a lot of time in front of my HDTV and enjoy every minute of it. I see absolutely no point in watching something I can't enjoy to the fullest extent.
Sammy2 likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page