Intel to wind down desktop circuit board business.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 85
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57565196-92/intel-to-wind-down-desktop-circuit-board-business/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

Oh well.

Maybe I can sell my old motherboards in 20 years, as a collectible item...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Here is some more interesting news... Microsoft is getting involved in a DELL buyout.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100397621

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Things are going to change in the HTPC and custom PC world after the next couple of tick-tock generations. Obviously the traditional desktop is shrinking, and mobile laptops, tablets, etc are rising. I've been a custom builder for many years, and still love my desktops for my main home theater. I had used Intel motherboards for several of my builds over the past 10 years, but right now, I'm very happy with my Gigabyte motherboard and Core i7.

Bazinga!

post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM
t-c

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Could be more a reflection of the emergence of ARM and Taiwan rather than some massive decline in desktop platforms.

Remember that intel was once a monopoly and now finds itself competing for food.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
"The internal talent and experience of twenty years in the boards business...is being redistributed to address emerging new form factors," Intel said.

Towers might be dead but other desktop form factors maybe not. I still see this as convergence of mobile and desktop technologies.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
No more desktop ATX or uATX from intel for sure, but some sites are reading too hard into it IMO. Dumping retail boards isn't the same as getting out of the motherboard channel.

I suspect ITX (at the very least least their own created standard thin-itx) will have new products for awhile, and should be seeing a lot more NUC like stuff of course. (you can buy bulk pack NUC board-only already)
Some of it is likely to be OEM only, though it doesn't mean the DIY won't be able to get their hands on it anyways.

There will still be plenty of ATX (and larger) server boards and barebone chassis systems though, its a separate group.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #7 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I laughed when seeing that article near the top of Google News yesterday, because I remember the same discussion in this forum over a month ago

Plenty of sites reading a lot into this for stock reasons

In the core2 days, Intel profited from the sale of their cpus and mobos. After Sandy Bridge, every Intel based board manufacturer purchases a PCH chipset from intel (Gigabyte, Asus, Asrock, etc). They've already stated Haswell will be the last easy-socket cpu, everything will be soldered on in the future. I'd say Asrock, Asus, etc will be able to license the entire CPU/PCH (which will likely just be a single unit) and solder it onto their boards the same as they do know with all the other licensed microchip tech on their boards

I think a lot of these news stories spread as much doom and gloom as possible so that Intel's earnings estimates come in at a low, easy-to-beat target (Apple has been quite successful in this regard since 2008, up until last year)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I think a lot of these news stories spread as much doom and gloom as possible so that Intel's earnings estimates come in at a low, easy-to-beat target (Apple has been quite successful in this regard since 2008, up until last year)

Doom-and-gloom, extremism, etc. sells ads, gets page hits, etc.. That's why they write it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_journalism

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page