How do I add a repeater to my network? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got cable internet and it's great, but the wifi is having trouble accessing my sons room. I watched a video on adding a reapeter router but I can seem to figure it out with my two routers. Comcast is who my internet and phone is through. My Modem/Router has to be used because I have phone service through comcast also. So my phone plugs into the back of my router instead of it plugging into the wall. Here's the Comcast modem I have to use...
http://www.arrisi.com/products/product.asp?id=79
It's the Arris TG862.The one I have looks a little different but it's the same. I'm trying to use it with a 2 wire 2710HG-B from At&t. I've never done this before but I believe I can do it if I had some help. If I left anything out please ask questions. Thank you.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The best way to get a repeater is to get a router that will easily use ddwrt and then you can follow inductions on the ddwrt site for a wifi repeater
post #3 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure my modem is capable of ddwrt. Is there a way I can check or can you point me in the right direction? Thank you.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Just buy a good wireless router and plug it directly into your current one and then disable the built-in wireless. The wireless on the included routers is normally pretty horrid.

Another thing to do is log-in and change the channel that it is using, you might be getting interference from your neighbor.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't think it was that easy. From what I read, I thought I needed to do some configurating on both devices. I'll try plugging in my 2 wire to my Arris and see if it works. Thanks. Any other thoughts or questions, ha or answers? Thanks

Adam
post #6 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

Just buy a good wireless router and plug it directly into your current one and then disable the built-in wireless. The wireless on the included routers is normally pretty horrid.

Another thing to do is log-in and change the channel that it is using, you might be getting interference from your neighbor.

I plugged my router into my other router using a 20 foot ethernet cable. the plugged the extender power into the wall. Theres red flashing lights on DSL and Wireless. The only green buttons are power and ethernet. I'm not sure how to turn off wifi on my existing modem/router. Any ideas?
post #7 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Is your ISP provided router providing wifi? And you want to use another wifi router to provide adittional coverage?

All you need to do is turn off DHCP on the regular router then it will act as a standard wifi hotspot. You don't plug anything into the WAN port on the regular router just plug your Ethernet cable coming from the ISP router to a standard switch port.

Now if both are wifi capable then you most likely won't be able to have both running the same SSID or the same wifi channel. Just setup you devices to use the strongest signal they recieve and use that separate SSID.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenvalycali View Post

I plugged my router into my other router using a 20 foot ethernet cable. the plugged the extender power into the wall. Theres red flashing lights on DSL and Wireless. The only green buttons are power and ethernet. I'm not sure how to turn off wifi on my existing modem/router. Any ideas?

Find your default gateway by going to command prompt and typing ipconfig /all. Type your default gateway into your web browser.

As Puwaha mentioned you will have to disable dhcp on one of the routers. Make sure you use a LAN port on both routers.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Is your ISP provided router providing wifi? And you want to use another wifi router to provide adittional coverage?

All you need to do is turn off DHCP on the regular router then it will act as a standard wifi hotspot. You don't plug anything into the WAN port on the regular router just plug your Ethernet cable coming from the ISP router to a standard switch port.

Now if both are wifi capable then you most likely won't be able to have both running the same SSID or the same wifi channel. Just setup you devices to use the strongest signal they recieve and use that separate SSID.

HAHA, I had to look up what a ISP provider was. Sorry. Yes and Yes to your first answers. I can't seem to find where I would turn off DHCP. Actually it doesn't give that option. Under STATUS tab it show three networks. 1. Local IP network, 2. Wifi Network, and 3. xfinity network. The only one I can edit is the Local IP one. I can set DHCP beginning and ending address and also DHCP lease time. I cant picture what you want me to do with the ethernet cable. It sounds like you want me to get a standard switch port?
post #10 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

Find your default gateway by going to command prompt and typing ipconfig /all. Type your default gateway into your web browser.

As Puwaha mentioned you will have to disable dhcp on one of the routers. Make sure you use a LAN port on both routers.
/

Ok I found my default gateway. I actually new it, Just didn't no thats what it was called. Sorry. I don't believe I can disable DHCP in gateway. Is there another way to disable this?
post #11 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I have a advance tab. Its got port forwarding, port triggering, DMZ, Device discovery. Any of this help?
post #12 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 225
To clear up as much as possible, you have a residential gateway acting as a modem, router, switch, and voip adapter

This is the Arris TG862. Leave it alone, don't try to apply any of the suggested changes to it

If you want more LAN ports, connect a switch

If you want to increase wireless coverage you'll be connecting a different router in "repeater mode." This router is where you want to apply the changes. You can sometimes configure all of this manually. If the router was linksys, look for the menu option called "Repeater" mode. Belkin routers have this feature as well. If your router doesn't, look it up in the DD wrt router database to see if you can flash it's firmware. Then you'll have the repeater mode in the dd-wrt or tomato firmware
post #13 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

To clear up as much as possible, you have a residential gateway acting as a modem, router, switch, and voip adapter

This is the Arris TG862. Leave it alone, don't try to apply any of the suggested changes to it

If you want more LAN ports, connect a switch

If you want to increase wireless coverage you'll be connecting a different router in "repeater mode." This router is where you want to apply the changes. You can sometimes configure all of this manually. If the router was linksys, look for the menu option called "Repeater" mode. Belkin routers have this feature as well. If your router doesn't, look it up in the DD wrt router database to see if you can flash it's firmware. Then you'll have the repeater mode in the dd-wrt or tomato firmware

Ok great. Once I have a router that can connect as a repeater router do I plug a ethernet cable from the TG862 to the Repeater router? I'm going to look on the WRt database to see if my 2 wire is capable of going into repeater mode, but of the top of your head do you know? TY very much.

Adam
post #14 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok great. Once I have a router that can connect as a repeater router do I plug a ethernet cable from the TG862 to the Repeater router? I'm going to look on the WRt database to see if my 2 wire is capable of going into repeater mode, but of the top of your head do you know? TY very much.

Never heard of open source support for 2wire, but it's not a known-incompatible device

Yes, you'll simply connect an ethernet cable from the Arris into the WAN port of the "repeater" router
post #15 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Never heard of open source support for 2wire, but it's not a known-incompatible device

Yes, you'll simply connect an ethernet cable from the Arris into the WAN port of the "repeater" router

Great, I just looked on newegg and I have only found dd wrt on one router. Can you recommend a router thats cheaper in price but is also good?
post #16 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Without buying anything just yet, check this out and see if it works

http://www.ehow.com/how_10066805_configure-2wire-2701-repeater.html

Note on router configurations: This is easy to do, just learn the appropriate ip address, username, password. Connect the router (the 2wire in your case) to power, and connect a PC to the first LAN port. Your PC will tell you that you have no internet connection, but open up your browser anyway. Make the changes suggested in the article and reboot. Then plug the network cable from the other router's LAN port into the 2wire's WAN port
post #17 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I just went through all this myself...It is pretty easy to set up, with ddwrt. You should have a bit of networking experience, but if you can follow directions, it is pretty well laid out on ddwrt's website. There are WAY more than one router on NewEgg's site that accept ddwrt/opensource. Just look at the descriptions and reviews on the ones in your price range. Typically, you will NOT use the WAN port on the repeater. (You can turn it on later in the router's web page, if needed)
Remember that the device connected to the repeater is only operating at half capacity/bandwidth, since the first router is handing your DHCP to the repeater, and the repeater is handing the connection to the wireless device.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #18 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Note on router configurations: This is easy to do, just learn the appropriate ip address, username, password. Connect the router (the 2wire in your case) to power, and connect a PC to the first LAN port. Your PC will tell you that you have no internet connection, but open up your browser anyway. Make the changes suggested in the article and reboot. Then plug the network cable from the other router's LAN port into the 2wire's WAN port

I'm going to try this now. My only concern is I don't have a WAN port on this 2wire. Should I just use the first LAN port on the 2wire?
post #19 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

I just went through all this myself...It is pretty easy to set up, with ddwrt. You should have a bit of networking experience, but if you can follow directions, it is pretty well laid out on ddwrt's website. There are WAY more than one router on NewEgg's site that accept ddwrt/opensource. Just look at the descriptions and reviews on the ones in your price range. Typically, you will NOT use the WAN port on the repeater. (You can turn it on later in the router's web page, if needed)
Remember that the device connected to the repeater is only operating at half capacity/bandwidth, since the first router is handing your DHCP to the repeater, and the repeater is handing the connection to the wireless device.

I got the go on a linksys from newegg for 50.00 that I'm going to jump on if I can't get the 2wire to work by tomorrow morning. I'm having trouble understanding the last part of your post. I need the second router to handle most of my wifi devices. Will this second router have most of my bandwidth?
post #20 of 31 Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow I think It just worked. After I finished configuration I plugged the the first router into the second router(2wire) and after booting up the light that turns green when the wifi is on turned on. Now how can I test this is actually working? Can I plug a ethernet cable in one of the LAN on the 2wire and plug the other end into my laptop?
post #21 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got the go on a linksys from newegg for 50.00 that I'm going to jump on if I can't get the 2wire to work by tomorrow morning. I'm having trouble understanding the last part of your post. I need the second router to handle most of my wifi devices. Will this second router have most of my bandwidth?

No, your repeater is eating half the bandwidth for that channel, and the wireless device will be utilizing the other half. It has not been noticeable to me for a little less than a week uptime...
Quote:

Wow I think It just worked. After I finished configuration I plugged the the first router into the second router(2wire) and after booting up the light that turns green when the wifi is on turned on. Now how can I test this is actually working? Can I plug a ethernet cable in one of the LAN on the 2wire and plug the other end into my laptop?

I am not familiar with the 2-wire, but, good to know you got it going. Anything to save a few bucks, if you can these days...

post #22 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Step by step:

1. Don't connect anything to your new WiFi router at first except for a laptop or desktop that has DHCP turned on, so it will get an IP address from the new WiFi router. Connect that laptop or desktop to one of the LAN switch ports on this new wifi router.

2. Log in to this new WiFi router with that laptop or desktop... setup the WiFi with a new SSID name that is different than the one provided by your ISP's router. Configure the SSID name, password, etc. Now, turn off the DHCP server on the new WiFi router. You have just now made it a wifi repeater.

3. Now, run an ethernet cable from a LAN switch port on your ISP provided router to the new wifi router's LAN switch port.

4. Done! Connect your wireless devices to either wifi router now based upon signal strength.

Remember, nothing will ever be plugged into the WAN port of the new Wifi router in this mode.
post #23 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, your repeater is eating half the bandwidth for that channel, and the wireless device will be utilizing the other half. It has not been noticeable to me for a little less than a week uptime...

What channel? The repeater and router are broadcasting the same SSID. Nether are eating bandwidth, they're hardwired to each other so the second sends any DHCP reservation (and for internet connectivity the DNS requests) back to the main router.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Step by step:
2. Log in to this new WiFi router with that laptop or desktop... setup the WiFi with a new SSID name that is different than the one provided by your ISP's router. Configure the SSID name, password, etc. Now, turn off the DHCP server on the new WiFi router. You have just now made it a wifi repeater.

3. Now, run an ethernet cable from a LAN switch port on your ISP provided router to the new wifi router's LAN switch port.

The OP is not trying to create different networks

They already have it working

For boosting wifi coverage in your house, you connect a second router (somewhere in the house where range/coverage from the first is cruddy) by running ethernet from 1st routers LAN to 2nd routers WAN. Then turn off DHCP in second router and give it the SAME SSID and security/password as first. Or just use bridge mode in DDWRT/Tomato f/w. OP already stated they don't have open source router available and would've had to purchase
http://homekb.cisco.com/Cisco2/GetArticle.aspx?docid=28cee6a2fb0d4176a2210942d1d5836c_Setting_up_the_Linksys_E4200_in_bridge_mode.xml
Quote:

The test is do you have wireless coverage where before you did not? If you'd followed the link I posted earlier when setting up your 2wire, then you only have one network. You should be able to plug into the 2wire lan ports as well, but it's other purpose was to further blanket your home with wifi. (i.e. they shouldn't be sitting next to each other)
post #24 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What channel? The repeater and router are broadcasting the same SSID. Nether are eating bandwidth, they're hardwired to each other so the second sends any DHCP reservation (and for internet connectivity the DNS requests) back to the main router.
Sorry, I am not explaining it well, as it is new to me also. From DDWRT's wiki on creating a repater from an old WRT 54G :
Quote:
Also take note of the fact that all repeaters, including this Wlan Repeater mode, will sacrifice half of the bandwidth available from the primary router for clients wirelessly connected to the repeater. This is a result of the repeater taking turns talking to not just one partner, but to two, and having to relay the traffic between them. As long as your bandwidth requirements are within this halved bandwidth amount there will be little or no reduction in "speed".

As mentioned, I JUST completed this project, so it is fresh in my memory...I followed the "how to" step by step, and had no problems making everything work...took about an hour and a half. (including downloading the ddwrt firmware.)
There may be multiple ways to do this, but in my setup it was explained to DEFINITELY NOT use the WAN port....( I have since turned the WAN port on, in the ddwrt web page...but have not used it as another port...)

post #25 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I am not explaining it well, as it is new to me also. From DDWRT's wiki on creating a repater from an old WRT 54G :
As mentioned, I JUST completed this project, so it is fresh in my memory...I followed the "how to" step by step, and had no problems making everything work...took about an hour and a half. (including downloading the ddwrt firmware.)

WLAN repeating is intended to take a wireless router and bridge it's connection to another wireless router. Then you're connecting wirelessly to a wirelessly connected router, and on a single band router yes you'd be theoretically taking halves of your SoCs ability to receive requests and route requests

Sorry to all, I should clean up my terminology understanding to prevent confusion.

What I was describing (and I believe what the OP was attempting to do) is take a wired connection from your main router, run it somewhere obscure without wireless coverage, and connect a router to act as a wireless access point from that location.

So, access point for wired connection between the two, repeater for wireless connection between the two.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
post #26 of 31 Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

WLAN repeating is intended to take a wireless router and bridge it's connection to another wireless router. Then you're connecting wirelessly to a wirelessly connected router, and on a single band router yes you'd be theoretically taking halves of your SoCs ability to receive requests and route requests

Sorry to all, I should clean up my terminology understanding to prevent confusion.

What I was describing (and I believe what the OP was attempting to do) is take a wired connection from your main router, run it somewhere obscure without wireless coverage, and connect a router to act as a wireless access point from that location.

So, access point for wired connection between the two, repeater for wireless connection between the two.

You got it. I get wifi coverage in my sons room now. I also was able to use two LAN ports on the repeater(2wire) for my PS3 and HTPC. I have one little concern, and it really isnt a big deal but I can connect to either my 2wire or my Arris router on my network. Should it be like this or should I only be able to connect to one network? Im not sure I'm explaining it right, When I click on the signal meter on the task bar I have the option to connect to Home(Arris) or 2wire295(2wire). Either way I can stream HD netflix in two different rooms, Have my oldest playing Blackops2 online and have my wife watching The Avengers trailer in 720p in our room. And most are wireless. Only one of the netflix are wired. Not bad. ATT couldn't do it. Atleast not for the price I'm paying for Net.

Thank you all for your input. Who needs a Computer based website when you have all the experts on AVS Forum.
post #27 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for this, I had incorrectly set my network up utilizing the second router as a repeater, and wired in to one of the LAN ports (I thought this was what I needed...). It was acting as a hybrid of the two, I think...
I had a separate connection that I could access, labeled: "bridge". If the main connection got weak, the new connection would take over, and that was ok...but from your post, I believe I have it set up correctly, as an access point, on a different channel. I do not see it on my wireless network, but I do see the device as a switch.

post #28 of 31 Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for this, I had incorrectly set my network up utilizing the second router as a repeater, and wired in to one of the LAN ports (I thought this was what I needed...). It was acting as a hybrid of the two, I think...
I had a separate connection that I could access, labeled: "bridge". If the main connection got weak, the new connection would take over, and that was ok...but from your post, I believe I have it set up correctly, as an access point, on a different channel. I do not see it on my wireless network, but I do see the device as a switch.

Having it on a second channel should give you better total coverage.
post #29 of 31 Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I must not have something set up right just yet...I have a couple devices (phone/tablet) that I can see the signal drop as I move upstairs to where the AP is located. It does not switch over automatically.
How can I determine that the AP is actually working?
As mentioned the AP doesn't show up on my device list...
Any suggestions?

post #30 of 31 Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I must not have something set up right just yet...I have a couple devices (phone/tablet) that I can see the signal drop as I move upstairs to where the AP is located. It does not switch over automatically.
How can I determine that the AP is actually working?
As mentioned the AP doesn't show up on my device list...
Any suggestions?

Dreadful, I've read of people having to toggle their wifi to reconnect (not ideal). Do you receive better signal near the AP if you toggle wifi and then worse as you move back downstairs?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page