WHS2011 server randomly shutting down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So this is pretty frustrating. My WHS2011 machine is just randomly shutting after running for a few hours. I'm just wondering where to begin. Maybe it's BSODing? Is there some place I can find those reports?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 95
If it's "BSODing", when it starts up next time, Windows should say something like "Windows has recovered from an unexpected..." and allow you to see which device/driver caused it.

If it's just shutting down.....there's gotta be a Scheduled task/process/action/motherboard BIOS setting or "something" that's shutting it down.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

If it's "BSODing", when it starts up next time, Windows should say something like "Windows has recovered from an unexpected..." and allow you to see which device/driver caused it.

If it's just shutting down.....there's gotta be a Scheduled task/process/action/motherboard BIOS setting or "something" that's shutting it down.

If the latter is the case, is there someplace I can look that tells me what process shut down the computer? I know there's a 'lastwake' feature in command prompt.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

If the latter is the case, is there someplace I can look that tells me what process shut down the computer? I know there's a 'lastwake' feature in command prompt.

Lastwake is only for waking from sleep.

Start combing through your Event Viewer/Scheduled Task library/Motherboard BIOS settings. Failing that, start looking at each program/process you have installed (apart from Windows) that may be scheduled to "shut down" when it's "done".

No easy answer, I'm afraid.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help. After boot I just get the Windows wasn't shut down properly message. On another boot it just immediately shut off even before loading the log in screen. I suspect it's hardware/driver related. I installed a new NIC a couple of weeks ago, I'm going to try removing that and see what happens.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help. After boot I just get the Windows wasn't shut down properly message. On another boot it just immediately shut off even before loading the log in screen. I suspect it's hardware/driver related. I installed a new NIC a couple of weeks ago, I'm going to try removing that and see what happens.
Yup. That's the key. Hardware/Driver issue.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm fairly certain this was related to the drivers I installed for an Intel NIC. I removed the NIC and the WHS 2011 machine has been running fine all morning. I remembered I had a lot of trouble finding the right drivers, so I probably installed the wrong ones. Funny it ran fine for about 2 weeks.

So I guess my question now is, anyone know if there are proper WHS 2011 drivers for an Intel PWLA8391GTBLK PRO/1000 GT NIC?
post #8 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:

Glad to hear everything is working

I had a somewhat finicky motherboard that wouldn't finish POST and boot the OS without me pressing F1 on a USB connected keyboard (this was after I changed graphics card)

I finally combed through the BIOS settings and found an option to Alert, Shutdown, or Resume after HW check. I really can't remember the exact wording, but I changed it to resume and never had a problem

Also, I was trying to move some old parts to a new case and experienced the same thing you described 3 times while trying to load OpenELEC onto a usb flash drive. I assumed it was having trouble (old bios, old hardware) continuing without an attached HDD. Then everything finally installed and booted, then shutoff

After much troubleshooting, I found that the cpu cooler wasn't staying seated. Swapped it out, no problem since (actually gave it away, but the recipient hasn't called me so no problems yet at least rolleyes.gif)
post #9 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Actually, I guess everything is not running fine, and I can't answer the WHS driver question smile.gif
post #10 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

I'm fairly certain this was related to the drivers I installed for an Intel NIC. I removed the NIC and the WHS 2011 machine has been running fine all morning. I remembered I had a lot of trouble finding the right drivers, so I probably installed the wrong ones. Funny it ran fine for about 2 weeks.

So I guess my question now is, anyone know if there are proper WHS 2011 drivers for an Intel PWLA8391GTBLK PRO/1000 GT NIC?

The ones windows supplies are the proper drivers.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18268&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20Server%202008%20R2%20Standard*&DownloadType=Drivers

post #11 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
In the past 20 years or so. I have most commonly experienced random shutdowns due to bad power supply (overheating, poor voltage regulation or bad power connection at the MB) or CPU overheating (dirty heatsink or bad fan). Once due to the order in which I installed some hardware drivers. Overheating also eventually compromises the connections from the CPU socket to the system board. Hardware or software. Who knows?
post #12 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 PM

Liked: 15
In the past 20 years or so. I have most commonly experienced random shutdowns due to bad power supply (overheating, poor voltage regulation or bad power connection at the MB) or CPU overheating (dirty heatsink or bad fan). Once due to the order in which I installed some hardware drivers. Overheating also eventually compromises the connections from the CPU socket to the system board. Hardware or software. Who knows?
post #13 of 15 Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does that mean it should have worked out of the box? That definitely wasn't the case. Maybe I had to get them through Windows update?
post #14 of 15 Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycochkn View Post

I would agree with this. I just experienced a similar problem with a WHS V 1. box. It turned out to be the power supply. This has been the problem with other systems in the past also.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

Does that mean it should have worked out of the box? That definitely wasn't the case. Maybe I had to get them through Windows update?

I'm pretty sure it worked out of the box. As you can see I have no option to roll back.

I remember with WHS v1 I was able to download newer drivers from Intel, but not with 2011

I know there is also a problem with some of the motherboard Intel Nics and WHS2011. I think you have to do an INF hack to install drivers.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page