Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69

Greetings

I have a WHS running on a Gigabyte ATX board with a quad core AMD Phenom processor and currently 8 SATA hard drives in a Lian-Li tower case.

I have now finally gotten around to creating some space to install a rack for all the IT gear so I want to move the server into the rack and I need to find a rack mountable case. 

I want to avoid having to replace any components, I just want to move everything into the new case. 

I have found the Supermicro SC822T-400LP at a great price and it seems to fit my need perfectly. But I have a few questions for you server experts. I have built tons of PCs but I know little about this enterprise hardware.

• It is intended  for E-ATX boards, but an ATX board will fit, correct?
  • The power supply that comes with the case should have standard power connectors, right?
  • I assume the I/O shield that comes with the case will be removable just as with standard ATX cases?
  • The case comes with a SATA backplane. I assume standard SATA drives will be compatible with this but the manual is really unclear about what sort of cables I will need. Do I have to get some hyper expensive SAS-to-SATA cables?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It looks like it should work fine. That backplane appears to accept standard SATA cables, and your motherboard should fit. Just be aware that this chassis will be loud, like really loud. These smaller cases have smaller fans that spin really fast and make a lot of noise.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Thanks.

I looked around a bit more and ended up getting an almost new, larger Supermicro model, the SC933T, at a much lower price off eBay. This will take 15 hard drives and has redundant power supplies plus it will take full height expansion cards and CPU cooler.

Great case. Noise is no issue as my IT closet is far from human ears.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page