ONKYO TX-NR809 + Sharp AQUOS LC-46XL2S + Windows 8, cant get DTS HD to work - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I cant get the PC to be able to show more then DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital under supported formats.

When running XBMC and playing DTS HD or similar it will be no sound and the movies will not play, just a frozen picture or very low fps.
I have tried several different EDID files from here but still get the same issue, also reinstalled windows 8, and upgraded Nvidia driver several times.

This exact same issue worked on Windows 7, but have never worked on Windows 8. Dont know what I can try next and hope someone have a good idea of what I can do.

Attached pictures on how it looks like under device manager and Audio formats.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am experiencing the same issue. A temporary fix while you try and sort out the DTS-HD and TrueHD issue is to go into XBMC and under audio deselect both those formats under audio output and it should play fine.

I wonder if its a Windows 8 issue. I have a Sony KDL-46Z4100 and a Yamaha RX-V667 and am using the onboard audio of an Asus Maximus V Gene mobo. I have been searching all over the internet for a solution.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-26-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Iceman1605,

I tried this and yeah it plays now but the DTS-HD and TrueHD is still not visible, I also starting to think this is a Win 8 issue, I installed Win 8 about 3 weeks ago and still have not got this to work.
When using Win 7 there is no problem at all with same Graphic driver and same setup... I dont want to revert back to Win 7 since I bought Win 8 now it would not be to nice.

So is there no one out there that have a clue on how to solve this?

Thanks!
post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Have you tried disabling the onboard audio?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Just to add 2 cents worth of useless information
I have an Onkyo 609 and have had zero HD audio issues with Windows 8 while testing with an Intel 3000 iGPU, an AMD HD 6870 and an Nvidia 650m. All 3 devices show DTS (HD) MASTER and TrueHD in the Windows Control Panel and on the Onkyo display panel. This useless information is posted in an attempt to show you that Windows 8 is not the problem here.

Use
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and retain your sanity.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

Just to add 2 cents worth of useless information
I have an Onkyo 609 and have had zero HD audio issues with Windows 8 while testing with an Intel 3000 iGPU, an AMD HD 6870 and an Nvidia 650m.
All 3 devices show DTS (HD) MASTER and TrueHD in the Windows Control Panel and on the Onkyo display panel.

Two more cents:

I couldn't get HD audio from my HTPC when I upgraded from a Onkyo 605 to a 809 with Intel Clarkdale Core i5 661 HD audio and AnyDVD HD. When AnyDVD was running I couldn't get HD audio (True HD & DTS HD MA) from any application. Everything worked once I exited AnyDVD. I ended up getting a NVidia GT 430 and the problem was solved.

The point: Exit AnyDVD if you have it running. Something simple to try if you are running AnyDVD.

Tim
post #7 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post

Two more cents:

I couldn't get HD audio from my HTPC when I upgraded from a Onkyo 605 to a 809 with Intel Clarkdale Core i5 661 HD audio and AnyDVD HD. When AnyDVD was running I couldn't get HD audio (True HD & DTS HD MA) from any application. Everything worked once I exited AnyDVD. I ended up getting a NVidia GT 430 and the problem was solved.

The point: Exit AnyDVD if you have it running. Something simple to try if you are running AnyDVD.

Tim

Question. When AnyDVD is running does it disable those formats in the control panel or will it just not output them? I do not use AnyDVD but I wonder if any of my other background programs are disabling it.

On another not I am planning on getting a discrete GPU for some gaming here soon. I am curios to see if when I install that if the problem goes away.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Tulli: I have disabled the onboard audio but still same issue. I also tried with some different EDID I downloaded here but still get the same visible encoded formats in Windows, any other suggestion on what I can try here? Have been sitting whole weekend without any luck.

Shark007: Well I dont think that there is something wrong with Windows 8, but still Windows 8 does something Windows 7 dont do, cause if I uninstall Windows 8 and make a clean installation on Windows 7 then everything works as before and I get all encoded functions visible again, when I install Windows 8 I get this issue, so either Windows 8 does something different or I have no clue whats going on, should be the same problem from both OS I would think, right?

TimA: Well I only have XBMC installed at the moment, no other things, and its a clean installation nothing have been added or so, tried with some codec packs but those didn't help either.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The default Windows video drivers do not allow HD audio.
You must install currently available drivers from the GPU manufacturer.

Use
and retain your sanity.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Shark007: Ofcourse, Windows 8 install all the drivers by default even the Nvidia driver, however it installs an older version but that one dont work either, so only thing I install in Windows 8 is the latest Nvidia driver.

In Windows 7 I need to install the graphic driver and also some of the Intel chipset drivers, but this is like mentioned not needed in Windows 8.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page