Super low budget help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im looking for some advise on a low budget system.

I think I've got a decent grip on it but just want to check what you guys think.

I'm basically looking for a system that does the following.
1. Dedicated sole purpose htpc. Either xbmc or media browser
2. Windows 8, so I can just run the Hulu/Netflix/htpc apps right off the control center
3. Will be able to run full BD rips without a hiccup both over sata or over LAN.
4. Hd audio capable
4. Will be able to run uttorent in the background 24/7 while playing the media
5. Power efficient as possible for the 24/7 torrent

I won't bother to list things part by part as I haven't got that far. But the main point is that I'm gauging whether a celeron g540, g630, or new ivy bridge g1610 will be up to the task of the torrents+ media, with media that very well may be near 50gb ISO rips.

My basic idea was to get the cheapest celeron rig possible, and later when I'm ready have the option to put in dedicated gpu when I finish my 3d set up. All those celerons are in the same ballpark price wise depending on who's having a sale

Past that, I'm looking for cheapest parts possible. So if anyone knows current steals and deals please inform me! I swear I've clicked on every $25 1155 mb deal on the forum and it's always discontinued/sold out lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

No opinions?
Anyone even worked with the g1610 yet? I see its for sale on at newegg but no reviews yet. I read it has the HD2500 graphics as opposed to the HD1000 on the g540/g630?
post #3 of 31 Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 186
IMO a few more bucks up front for a higher level of graphics is money well spent. My last build was an i3-3225 with HD4000 graphics and the processor was about $40 more than the Celeron ($110 -vs- $70 at the time).
post #4 of 31 Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazten View Post

I think I've got a decent grip on it but just want to check what you guys think.

2. Windows 8, so I can just run the Hulu/Netflix/htpc apps right off the control center
3. Will be able to run full BD rips without a hiccup both over sata or over LAN.
4. Hd audio capable

I won't bother to list things part by part as I haven't got that far. But the main point is that I'm gauging whether a celeron g540, g630, or new ivy bridge g1610 will be up to the task of the torrents+ media, with media that very well may be near 50gb ISO rips.

My basic idea was to get the cheapest celeron rig possible, and later when I'm ready have the option to put in dedicated gpu when I finish my 3d set up. All those celerons are in the same ballpark price wise depending on who's having a sale

Past that, I'm looking for cheapest parts possible. So if anyone knows current steals and deals please inform me! I swear I've clicked on every $25 1155 mb deal on the forum and it's always discontinued/sold out lol.

If you're on a budget..

1. Forget about windows 8. Seriously. It's probably no better (and by most of the reviews, possibly worse) than Windows 7 for HTPC/Media center purposes. It's probably not going to be around for long anyway..
2. Anything can run utorrent in the background. No need to design for that.
3. AMD will get you far better performance for your money than any comparable Intel processor (with the possible exception of the celerons). An AMD/ATI motherboard with onboard graphics, HDMI and HD Audio, Processor and Memory can be had for just north of $100. Another $100 will buy you a terabyte hard drive, or about $60 for half that capacity.

Example:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128564 ($50)
Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103953 ($55)
Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260 ($30)
Case/PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163174 ($60)

$200.00 plus tax and shipping. You could probably get everything you need for under $300 (including a DVD drive and maybe even a remote).
post #5 of 31 Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I bought the G620 Pentium at Micro Center for $50 & it worked good with WMC7 and OTA HD recordings. But some SD programs experienced the 59/29 bug stuttering. I bought an HD 6450 video card on sale for $15 which corrected the SD stutter. I was hoping not use a video card but did allow for a mobo slot in case I needed a card. Maybe an AMD CPU might not have had the 59/29 bug, I don't know. And of course if I never watched any old SD programs I would have never seen a problem.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 AM

Liked: 11
If you have a bit of time, sign up for newsletters from TigerDirect, Newegg, Microcenter, and anyone else you can think of. Also, create a wishlist on Amazon with all of the parts you want in it. Amazon's prices fluctuate day to day and sometimes throughout the day. I was on a tight budget as well, and keeping a close eye on sales really helped maximize my dollar. I started looking about 3 months before I built. I also ravaged my house/garage and sold things on Craigslist to fund my CPU project. Craigslist sales alone netted me about $300, which is cash I used to buy things when they went on sale. I made enough selling stuff that I was able to get a some nicer components than I had initially planned.

Microcenter doesn't seem to have the rock bottom sales that others have, but they CPU/Motherboard combos can't be beat.

Some of the deals I was able to get:
Seagate Green 1.5 tb hard drive from TigerDirect for $50
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit from Newegg for $79
Thermaltake 430 W Power supply from Newegg for $20
Intel 330 Series 60 gb SSD from Newegg for $59 (came with a free copy of Civilization V too)

I must admit that I did end up selling the power supply and getting a different one because it didn't fit in my case, but I still got the deal.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Tigerdirect has a lot of barebones PC deals that might be worthy of consideration. They usually include a case, motherboard, CPU, memory, hard drive, and power supply and possibly an optical drive as well. Aside from subscribing to newsletters from dealers, check out dealnews.com and slickdeals.net. They're my two favorite deal sires on the net that post all kinds of deals on PC hardware and just about anything else you can think of. Slickdeals has a forum that discusses a lot of hot deals that don't make the front page so look there as well.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

No opinions?
Anyone even worked with the g1610 yet? I see its for sale on at newegg but no reviews yet. I read it has the HD2500 graphics as opposed to the HD1000 on the g540/g630?

Forget those mobo deals for Win8. I bought one of the $25 ECS motherboards for a rebuild of my parents computer, and it works fine. However, they don't have UEFI, so probably not what you want W8 for anyway

I'd go with an H61 and G5xx or G6xx depending on your best deal. Either one can handle isos and 24/7 d/l apps. Nothing about that is cpu intensive

Best h61 deal right now IMO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128527
post #9 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

4. Hd audio capable

1. XBMC runs great on Windows 8. I believe media portal still isn't compatible.

2. The netflix app for windows 8 is pretty much unusable with a remote control. Don't know about Hulu.

3. BD rips are generally ran on the gpu so any modern intel or AMD processor can handle this easily.

4. Intel or AMD do this.

4.2 Media is played from the gpu so shouldn't be a real concern.

5. All modern processors are really power efficient when idling.

Please let us know what future gpu you are looking at so we can make appropriate cpu suggestions.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Superbiz has cheap prices in CPU.

Cheaper than NewEgg.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate e replies everyone!

I really like the windows 8 setup, I already have it at home and am experimenting with it. With a iOS hippo remote it works great swapping from metro Hulu, Netflix, and wmc. I plan to run wmc/media browser/tmt5. I'm running xbmc now but I just like the Netflix/Hulu better on metro with this remote.

If media is more or less completely played in gpu then I'll likely opt for the lower end of g540 or equivalent. Maybe a g1610 depending on the deal since it has better gpu. I know microcenteter does g550 for $35, I'll see if I can make someone match that cause it's the best deal if so.
I'll admit I never looked at amd offerings besides the trinity so I may have to look into the athlons linked.
I had considered a a8 5500 3d rdy setup, but on my budget those are all approaching 150+ just mobo and CPU. With the right deals I know I can scrape the intel and mobo for sub 100 easy.

I've not chosen a specific gpu yet. Cause I just don't need it at the moment. But when I do it will be whatever the best deal is that has enou grunt to flawlessly run any 3d bd ISO with the least power draw and cheapest offering. I hear nvidia gt440 is popular.
post #12 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I appreciate e replies everyone!

I really like the windows 8 setup, I already have it at home and am experimenting with it. With a iOS hippo remote it works great swapping from metro Hulu, Netflix, and wmc. I plan to run wmc/media browser/tmt5. I'm running xbmc now but I just like the Netflix/Hulu better on metro with this remote.

If media is more or less completely played in gpu then I'll likely opt for the lower end of g540 or equivalent. Maybe a g1610 depending on the deal since it has better gpu. I know microcenteter does g550 for $35, I'll see if I can make someone match that cause it's the best deal if so.
I'll admit I never looked at amd offerings besides the trinity so I may have to look into the athlons linked.
I had considered a a8 5500 3d rdy setup, but on my budget those are all approaching 150+ just mobo and CPU. With the right deals I know I can scrape the intel and mobo for sub 100 easy.

I've not chosen a specific gpu yet. Cause I just don't need it at the moment. But when I do it will be whatever the best deal is that has enou grunt to flawlessly run any 3d bd ISO with the least power draw and cheapest offering. I hear nvidia gt440 is popular.

The athlons don't have a gpu built in so you will need to get a dedicated gpu for hd audio. Anyone know if there are motherboards with integrated gpu's that support hd audio?

If you are looking at something like a gt440 then I would suggest buying trinity instead as it should be just as powerful or more powerful.

Edit: The upper end Trinity APU's are nearly as powerful.
post #13 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

I noticed. I was really considering an a10 5700 or a8 5500, cause it would be an all in one solution. But the price of the processor exceeds the price i can get a celeron mobo/cpu combo for lol. And the kicker is that I just dont need 3d for months yet. I need $200 is 3d glasses for my jvc projector I just dont have it. Thus this is why I'm trying to really trim the budget here.
I also considered lower powered trinity/llano but for the price it seems the lowest line that competes with celeron can't keep up with 3d well enough, and the celeron is stronger cpu processing wise. So i Assumed it was the better route to go celeron/dedicated GPU later.

I dont know maybe I should bite the bullet and hold out for upper end trinity sales? I know trinity can do 3d easily and even some MadVR and such. Just not excited about a cpu/mobo double the price of a celeron rig
post #14 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Forget those mobo deals for Win8. I bought one of the $25 ECS motherboards for a rebuild of my parents computer, and it works fine. However, they don't have UEFI, so probably not what you want W8 for anyway

I'd go with an H61 and G5xx or G6xx depending on your best deal. Either one can handle isos and 24/7 d/l apps. Nothing about that is cpu intensive

Best h61 deal right now IMO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128527

I also used a $25 ECS mobo & it works just fine.

I took a look at the Gigabyte mobo in the link supplied. Maybe I missed it, but did not see an HDMI or DVI output. It looks like you would need a video card whether you wanted one or not.
post #15 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I also used a $25 ECS mobo & it works just fine.

I took a look at the Gigabyte mobo in the link supplied. Maybe I missed it, but did not see an HDMI or DVI output. It looks like you would need a video card whether you wanted one or not.

Good catch, don't get that one!! I don't think that's the first or last time that I'll forget to check for HDMI during a quick glance over h61 boards

The ECS board has hdmi, but lacks uefi so you miss out on quicker boot, easier f/w upgrade, and booting from gpt disk (not that big a deal I guess)

Also, it burns to pay $40+ for a board that you know people have bought for $25 or less

I'm not really up on 3D, but I thought sandy/ivy i3's could handle it just fine
post #16 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103951 65w tri-core $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103943 100w Quad-core $75

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135325 mobo $45

Just my 2 cents. FM1 is dead but very economic.

Spend $20 now, save $40 later. I'm sure a lot of people will shoot this down but in your case this is a very low budget option.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sometimes you regret going too cheap

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #18 of 31 Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.frys.com/product/7544716?site=sa:adpages%20page:P7_FRI%20date:012513

A10 5700 + MSI uefi mobo 135$. That's a great deal don't ya think?
post #19 of 31 Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

http://www.frys.com/product/7544716?site=sa:adpages%20page:P7_FRI%20date:012513

A10 5700 + MSI uefi mobo 135$. That's a great deal don't ya think?

Amazing deal! I wish I could have gotten a deal this sweet. The mobo is a bit on the cheap end for an A75 chipset (it's priced almost like an A55 mobo), but it seems solid enough, and the APU is amazing. I spent $115 ($125 but received a $10 Newegg gift card) for my A10-5700 and something like $80 for the Gigabyte uATX A75 mobo.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Gotta call them up everything local is sold out. Wonder if they ship store to store to honor the in store pickup policy
post #21 of 31 Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I did open box Asrock H61 recently for $40. Combined with a 2.5 Sandy CPU for $39. $15 for 4GB DDR3. Case and PSU for $29. That's pure win

-

post #22 of 31 Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Wow nice. what case and psu for 29? Ive been trying to find decent ones but there all like $100 bucks for a nice case/psu
I was looking at the e-i7
post #23 of 31 Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I had everything (old parts) for an OpenELEC build to give away at Christmas except the case

I bought this (didn't need the power supply, but kept my extra and used the one that came in the case) http://www.frys.com/product/6938697

It is NOT nice, but how nice do you need a case to be? It's well ventilated, looks aesthetically pleasing on it's side, and it's light

Also, the included PSU was ATX v2.2 even though the floor model looked like it came with an old 20 pin psu
post #24 of 31 Old 01-29-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Im looking for a case to shelf mount with my equipment so Its gotta be half dent and appliance looking vs a tower.

I'm wanting to get something that has a drive slot, slot loading or regular, room for 1 minimum 3.5" HDD (wont be migrating to nas for a while yet), 1 2.5 ssd would be nice but ill velcro if I must. Micro ATX if i can squeeze the frys deal

- That combo sub100$ with a psu seems hard lol

Edit: Missed the frys sale no one has it near me, they wont ship it. Bummer cause that was straight up the processor I wanted before I started looking budget
post #25 of 31 Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM

Liked: 17
Check this one out:

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_gallery.aspx?id=C_00001372

I have the mini-itx version of this case, but this one is for micro-ATX.
post #26 of 31 Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 55
Quote:

Im looking for a case to shelf mount with my equipment so Its gotta be half dent and appliance looking vs a tower.

I'm wanting to get something that has a drive slot, slot loading or regular, room for 1 minimum 3.5" HDD (wont be migrating to nas for a while yet), 1 2.5 ssd would be nice but ill velcro if I must. Micro ATX if i can squeeze the frys deal

- That combo sub100$ with a psu seems hard lol

Edit: Missed the frys sale no one has it near me, they wont ship it. Bummer cause that was straight up the processor I wanted before I started looking budget

CASE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204040

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

$51.99 + $44.99 = $96.98

I don't know if you've ever shopped there before but they have a $10 off special for new customers right now.

post #27 of 31 Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=G540

Code Harbowl

CPU for $33.99

Can't beat that!

-

post #28 of 31 Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

$51.99 + $44.99 = $96.98

96.98 + 14.99 shipping
post #29 of 31 Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I got the AMD A10 5700 + MSI mobo deal, had a friend lived near to a near by frys who picked it up. Got a free SSD as well..

Now scouting for Case+PSU, RAM, HDD! Subscribed to newegg tigers direct for deals adds lol
post #30 of 31 Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got the AMD A10 5700 + MSI mobo deal, had a friend lived near to a near by frys who picked it up. Got a free SSD as well..

Now scouting for Case+PSU, RAM, HDD! Subscribed to newegg tigers direct for deals adds lol

Congrats, sometimes I wish I lived near a Fry's or micro center.

What are you looking for in a case?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page