HELP! Cloning my OS partition to my new SSD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, so I followed the directions here to clone by OS partition to my SSD. I used the Easus method.

Everything seemed to be going well until I booted the machine back up after setting the SSD as my main boot drive. Right now my computer is stuck at the "Loading Operating System" screen before Win7 comes up.
Any ideas what could have gone wrong or how to fix it?

My previous 2TB HDD was broken up into one 80GB partition for my OS and another larger one for my media storage, so I just cloned the OS partition over.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you have the windows install DVD, boot from it and tell it to repair the operating system on the ssd. I have had to do that when I have used cloning software.
post #3 of 30 Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullhorn View Post

If you have the windows install DVD, boot from it and tell it to repair the operating system on the ssd. I have had to do that when I have used cloning software.

Thanks I tried that but it said it didn't find any windows startup problems on the SSD installation. I restarted and its still stuck on "Loading Operating System..."
Any other ideas?
post #4 of 30 Old 01-27-2013, 05:11 PM

I just went thru this myself.What probably happened, is you didn't get the 100MB
system reserved partition onto your SSD.This partition is not labeled with a drive
letter & is not visable in windows.Using Easus you should be able to see it,without
the info on the system reserved partition, the system can't boot.It's a royal PITA
but I used the method in the following link to repair my f'-up.

http://www.ssdfreaks.com/content/664/how-to-clone-hdd-to-ssd-with-windows-7

Good luck, DDK
post #5 of 30 Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDK65JAG View Post

I just went thru this myself.What probably happened, is you didn't get the 100MB
system reserved partition onto your SSD.This partition is not labeled with a drive
letter & is not visable in windows.Using Easus you should be able to see it,without
the info on the system reserved partition, the system can't boot.It's a royal PITA
but I used the method in the following link to repair my f'-up.

http://www.ssdfreaks.com/content/664/how-to-clone-hdd-to-ssd-with-windows-7

Good luck, DDK

Thanks man, but I tried following that tutorial and I get error messages every time I tried to restore my OS partition to the SSD. It kept saying that a drive necessary for use was excluded, even though the external I was restoring from and the SSD I was restoring to were not excluded, but my old HDD, which houses my current OS partition and storage partition was. I gave up that method and copied the OS partition over using Easus. Not really sure where to go next...
post #6 of 30 Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM

Don't know what that error message means, but the original Hdd has to be removed from the system
and the SSD has to be installed on the original Hdd's Sata port in order for the procedure to work.
I was in way over my head,but that procedure worked for me.

Good luck, DDK
post #7 of 30 Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

OHHHH, that may be the problem.
I was trying both keeping the old HHD attached and removing it, but I never attempted plugging the new SSD into the old HDD's SATA port!
I'll definitely try that tonight. Thanks!
post #8 of 30 Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDK65JAG View Post

Don't know what that error message means, but the original Hdd has to be removed from the system
and the SSD has to be installed on the original Hdd's Sata port in order for the procedure to work.
I was in way over my head,but that procedure worked for me.

Good luck, DDK

Ok so I tried this but I got an error message saying "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found". Any idea what I can do now? Starting to get pretty frustrated.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
I'd like to point out since creation of this thread I swapped my HTPC SSD into my desktop and clean installed.

I also broke up the raid 0 array SSD in my desktop. Sold one to a friend. Put other in HTPC that I removed and clean installed that.

So I've clean installed two machines and set up my server. Installed all updates and programs and even created a back up.
the clean install windows took 15 min.

And hour later is was fully updated with new service pack and all my programs.

How long does is typically take to clone a drive ????

By my observation being on AVS it takes way more work and frustration.

I've seen more issues and complications with cloning than I can count...

And

My biggest fear is the silent ones are too noob to realize their performance sucks and is retarded.... They live happily ever after in ignornace with sub optimal performance .

Cloning = nope. Not for me.

I've been vocal about this many times in past but I feel confident in saying its generally a poor choice.

It's almost always used for a band aid because it seems easier than fixing the other issues making you want to clone. Example no key code or lost software disc. Just man up and hit that stuff head on. Call mfg and tell them you lost key code before you clean install and get one. Most times its free.
If you registered your software you can also get replacement discs too.

Why do people clone ???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'd like to point out since creation of this thread I swapped my HTPC SSD into my desktop and clean installed.

I also broke up the raid 0 array SSD in my desktop. Sold one to a friend. Put other in HTPC that I removed and clean installed that.

So I've clean installed two machines and set up my server. Installed all updates and programs and even created a back up.
the clean install windows took 15 min.

And hour later is was fully updated with new service pack and all my programs.

How long does is typically take to clone a drive ????

By my observation being on AVS it takes way more work and frustration.

I've seen more issues and complications with cloning than I can count...

And

My biggest fear is the silent ones are too noob to realize their performance sucks and is retarded.... They live happily ever after in ignornace with sub optimal performance .

Cloning = nope. Not for me.

I've been vocal about this many times in past but I feel confident in saying its generally a poor choice.

It's almost always used for a band aid because it seems easier than fixing the other issues making you want to clone. Example no key code or lost software disc. Just man up and hit that stuff head on. Call mfg and tell them you lost key code before you clean install and get one. Most times its free.
If you registered your software you can also get replacement discs too.

Why do people clone ???

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that's what I'll have to do. I was hoping to take the "easy" way out, but I've definitely spent more time trying to clone than it would have taken to do a clean install.

Do you know if there is an easy way to transfer user & application preferences over or is that just something that needs to be set up again for every single program?
post #11 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman555 View Post

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that's what I'll have to do. I was hoping to take the "easy" way out, but I've definitely spent more time trying to clone than it would have taken to do a clean install.

Do you know if there is an easy way to transfer user & application preferences over or is that just something that needs to be set up again for every single program?

You can make a custom install DVD so you can clean install including your programs updates and settings.

Check my " USB possible install windows pro " Thread

Bump it if you must. It had info in there.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #12 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can make a custom install DVD so you can clean install including your programs updates and settings.

Check my " USB possible install windows pro " Thread

Bump it if you must. It had info in there.

I'll check it out, thanks! I'll bump it if I have any questions.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was hoping to take the "easy" way out, but I've definitely spent more time trying to clone than it would have taken to do a clean

Replace "easy" with "wrong" above.

Example : cloning is the easy way --> cloning is the "wrong" way.

I'm sure you could replace "wrong" with "poor choice" or " incorrect" too...

Now- should I really tell you how I feel ??? Lol

Sorry to be blatant I'm pretty passionate on this subject. smile.gif

-

post #14 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Replace "easy" with "wrong" above.

Example : cloning is the easy way --> cloning is the "wrong" way.

I'm sure you could replace "wrong" with "poor choice" or " incorrect" too...

Now- should I really tell you how I feel ??? Lol

Sorry to be blatant I'm pretty passionate on this subject. smile.gif

HAHA, well that's why I put easy in quotes.

After reading through your USB install thread, I've decided just to do a normal reinstall and start over.
I'm going to research just migrating user application data, as I don't have a problem reinstalling the apps, its just setting them up that will be a pain.

ALSO, is there anything you did to the SSD before you installed WIn7 on it? Should I delete the NTFS partition I made on it, leaving it unformatted and unallocated, and let Windows create whatever partitions it needs on its own?
post #15 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Ok so I tried this but I got an error message saying "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found". Any idea what I can do now? Starting to get pretty frustrated.

Don't know if this is too late or not, or even if you still wanted to give this a shot, but it sounds like your on the right track now.
After you image your backup onto your new SSD, place in the computer where the old HD was located (same SATA port).
Then boot up using the WIndows 7 disk and run the "Startup Repair", this should add the 100MB boot partition (if not there).

After this, reboot, and it should work. Good luck!
post #16 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshack View Post

Don't know if this is too late or not, or even if you still wanted to give this a shot, but it sounds like your on the right track now.
After you image your backup onto your new SSD, place in the computer where the old HD was located (same SATA port).
Then boot up using the WIndows 7 disk and run the "Startup Repair", this should add the 100MB boot partition (if not there).

After this, reboot, and it should work. Good luck!

Thanks, but I never actually got to the part where Windows could image the backup onto the SSD. I always got error messages when trying to do that.
post #17 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

HAHA, well that's why I put easy in quotes.

After reading through your USB install thread, I've decided just to do a normal reinstall and start over.
I'm going to research just migrating user application data, as I don't have a problem reinstalling the apps, its just setting them up that will be a pain.

ALSO, is there anything you did to the SSD before you installed WIn7 on it? Should I delete the NTFS partition I made on it, leaving it unformatted and unallocated, and let Windows create whatever partitions it needs on its own?

I would hit the F key and choose the advanced options : Delete all partitions. Then create a new max sized partition. Then format that new partition. Windows will make a 100MB partition for itself. That is ok. Leave it alone.

Choose the fresh install option (not upgrade) on the first screen.

That should get you a nice clean install on a nice fresh partition. Once windows is installed you should drop in your drivers CD from the motherboard MFG or go to the motherboard MFG website for the most updated versions (best).
If you have a Z77 motherboard and it's new stuff the DVD might be ok. If you have older motherboards it's more important to get the updated drivers.

There is a lot of them. Usually USB3.0, Intel RST, Intel graphics, LAN drivers, Audio drivers.. etc...

If you use the motherboard disc usually it has an easy "install option" That is good if your noob. It's easy.

I do it the had way. Go to the MFG site- Download them all fresh and install the newest versions one at a time.

Either way will work fine. You can use the "easy" method smile.gif

To answer your question more: Make sure your in ACHI mode. new hardware usually has the SATA mode in the BIOS as this default. Old motherboards will be defaulted to IDE mode. This is a critical check first area before installing windows.
It's way easier to switch the mode with a click up front than do a pain in the a$$ workaround later or have to reinstall all over again.

Migrating the user data is not that hard. If you just copy your user folder over you probably get most of the stuff on the old drive. I would not copy and paste settings or windows folders. Just user folders (my movies, my music, my docs etc...)

-

post #18 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would hit the F key and choose the advanced options : Delete all partitions. Then create a new max sized partition. Then format that new partition. Windows will make a 100MB partition for itself. That is ok. Leave it alone.

Choose the fresh install option (not upgrade) on the first screen.

That should get you a nice clean install on a nice fresh partition. Once windows is installed you should drop in your drivers CD from the motherboard MFG or go to the motherboard MFG website for the most updated versions (best).
If you have a Z77 motherboard and it's new stuff the DVD might be ok. If you have older motherboards it's more important to get the updated drivers.

There is a lot of them. Usually USB3.0, Intel RST, Intel graphics, LAN drivers, Audio drivers.. etc...

If you use the motherboard disc usually it has an easy "install option" That is good if your noob. It's easy.

I do it the had way. Go to the MFG site- Download them all fresh and install the newest versions one at a time.

Either way will work fine. You can use the "easy" method smile.gif

To answer your question more: Make sure your in ACHI mode. new hardware usually has the SATA mode in the BIOS as this default. Old motherboards will be defaulted to IDE mode. This is a critical check first area before installing windows.
It's way easier to switch the mode with a click up front than do a pain in the a$$ workaround later or have to reinstall all over again.

Migrating the user data is not that hard. If you just copy your user folder over you probably get most of the stuff on the old drive. I would not copy and paste settings or windows folders. Just user folders (my movies, my music, my docs etc...)

Thanks man. I usually use the "hard way" too when installing mobo drivers.

I believe my BIOS is already set to AHCI, which is good.

Regarding copying user folders. Have you heard any feedback on using this method? http://communities.quest.com/community/quest-itexpert/blog/2012/09/21/the-guide-to-migrating-windows-user-files-amp-settings
Looks like Windows has a utility that does it automatically for you and you can easily transfer via USB drive.
post #19 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Pman555 - remind of your hardware again ???

I remember you having newer/better stuff. Process should be easy- sometimes you can download the drivers and stuff you need on a USB drive from another machine while windows is installing. Gives you something to do while it is installing. Then when it's done it is not long after you have all you need to finish up. Saves you time. A few restarts and such... but the process is about an hour if your good at it- well organized and prepared and have a solid plan.

I have done it so many times I could do it blind folded in my sleep. I got the process down cold.

I think for this reason I don't see clean installing as a big deal and always wonder why people tolerate the poor performance and headaches of cloning.

My advice is pre download what you need- or do it simultaneous to installing. It can be 20 minutes to download it all if you decide to do that instead of MFG install DVD rom. Some are 250MB+

If your HTPC was built in the last 6 or so months I don't see much reason not to use the MFG DVD installer if you still have it. It has an easy "install all" option. That should work. Windows might update a few to newer anyways.

I use DRIVER WIZARD to fetch the newest versions of my stuff- or double check my PC for the newest stuff.

Windows should only take 15 minutes to clean install to a fresh formatted drive if your on new Asrock board with SSD OS drive. Once your up and running your looking at another 45 minutes for updating to newest- and setting up how you like it. Probably 5-10 restarts required.

I create a shortcut on desktop for the windows update feature- and I use it each time after a restart. Having windows search out the updates. Once the PC is configured I delete that shortcut as I don't need it. I find this can cut down on the time it takes when you force the updates manually versus letting windows manage them on it's own time.

Once your PC is set up exactly how you like- I recommend creating a restore DVD set- or a custom install DVD- so you can drop those DVD's you burn in and restore to that exact point any time in the future. It's nice to store a permanent back up and label it fresh completed install if you can (I do on my server but you could use a portable drive)

That way your never going to worry about this stuff again.

What the original reason your installing ?? Upgrading to SSD ???

-

post #20 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks man. I usually use the "hard way" too when installing mobo drivers.

I believe my BIOS is already set to AHCI, which is good.

Regarding copying user folders. Have you heard any feedback on using this method? http://communities.quest.com/community/quest-itexpert/blog/2012/09/21/the-guide-to-migrating-windows-user-files-amp-settings
Looks like Windows has a utility that does it automatically for you and you can easily transfer via USB drive.

Yeah the microsoft tools are generally very good... and very safe to use.

I see no reason why not.

I have seen some trouble when people try to do it manually themselves- but a MS official purpose designed tool seems like pure WIN.

-

post #21 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

I've got a Gigabyte Z68MA mobo. I built the HTPC at the end of 2011, so I'm probably better off DLing the drivers from the website.
You do make a great point about DLing the drivers on a USB first to have them ready to install later.

The reason I'm reinstalling is because I want to move my OS from my HDD to my new SSD for more speed and to make room on the HDD.
post #22 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup.

All sounds legit.

Your good to go...

Good luck.

PS: yes it's better up front because if you need a LAN drive to get online... your screwed... haha.

At least have that one ready... so you can get online to grab others if you only have one machine.

-

post #23 of 30 Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Any luck ?

-

post #24 of 30 Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Any luck ?

Thanks for following up!

Of course I had luck doing it the RIGHT way! Everything installed smoothly so far. I didn't have a ton of time to work on it last night, but i did get Win7 running on the SSD and I updated all the mobo related drivers and all of the Windows Updates.
I've definitely noticed a huge jump in the speed Windows loads after a reboot.
I have yet to plug my old HDD back in, though. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do that tonight.

I should just be able to plug the HDD SATA cable back in to an empty SATA port and then delete the old OS partition on it, right? Should be straight forward.
post #25 of 30 Old 01-30-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes. Just plug it back in. I do it that way all the time..

-

post #26 of 30 Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes. Just plug it back in. I do it that way all the time..

I figured. Thanks for your advice.
post #27 of 30 Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad it worked out

-

post #28 of 30 Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Glad it worked out

One last thing! (hopefully)

See the picture, here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19272658/Photo%20Jan%2030%2C%2010%2028%2020%20PM.jpg

The C drive is my new SSD.
The F drive is my old OS partition, and the G Drive is my media partition.

For some reason, it seems like Windows didnt create a "system reserved" partition on my SSD. Is that a bad thing? Can I simply erase the system reserved partition from the HDD when i erase the F drive?
The OS was running perfectly fine on the C drive without the HDD even plugged in , so I imagine I can.
What do you think?
post #29 of 30 Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just copy over everything you want or need from old partition.

Once your set. Delete it. Then extend the storage partition on the same drive to be max sized .

Your 100mb is going to show there I believe.

Your ok

-

post #30 of 30 Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just copy over everything you want or need from old partition.

Once your set. Delete it. Then extend the storage partition on the same drive to be max sized .

Your 100mb is going to show there I believe.

Your ok

Thanks dude.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page