Windows 8 Upgrade - existing recordings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I upgrade my windows7 Media Center PC (with Ceton cable card tuner) will I lose my ability to watch pre-recorded cable shows with copy protection? When I upgraded before from vista to windows7 I believe that they still worked after upgrade. Since I have a lot of shows pre-recorded my wife would kill me if I lost them, but the upgrade key from MS is only good till the end of the month so I need to figure out something fast.
eek.gif

Here is some of my Stuff: Media Center Pc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 167
If you do an actual Upgrade then the copy protected recording may work. I did a clean install and my Ceton recordings still worked, but none of mine have copy flags.

What you need to do is make an image of your Win7 install. Install Win8 and see what happens. If the recordings fail to playback then make a backup of your activation using Advanced Tokens Manager and then reinstall the Win7 image.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

I may just go through the imaging process but I was hoping that there would be a definitive answer by this time. I have searched various forums and I get a lot of opinions but it seems like nobody has actually tried this yet... and lived to report back....

post #4 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a Hauppage 2650 usb cablecard tuner that I used with Windows 7. I upgraded awhile back to windows 8 and added WMC for 8 and my recordings remained. I posted that fact somewhere on this forum.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

I have a Hauppage 2650 usb cablecard tuner that I used with Windows 7. I upgraded awhile back to windows 8 and added WMC for 8 and my recordings remained. I posted that fact somewhere on this forum.

My recordings remained also, but I have no copy protection flags with Comcast.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

IT WORKS!!! I finally did the upgrade to windows 8 w/Media Center and all of my copy protected recordings still play.... I am surprised at so many posts saying that windows8 kills the ability to play back previously recorded programs.... What I did find out in my research was that you need to upgrade a current windows 7 MCE platform that works!!! In other words you cannot upgrade over a clean w7 mce and playback your recordings in w8 MCE. This is because the DRM keys are updated over time. A lot of people were trying to do the upgrade over a clean w7 image or an old backup and that was the cause of the DRM issues... Other things to consider before you upgrade you need to uninstall My Channel Logos, Virtual clone drive, and DVRMSToolbox & Comskip if you have those installed, once the u/g completes you need to re-install My Channel Logos, Toolbox and comskip if you use them, Virtual clone drive is not needed anymore. And you will need to u/g the Ceton tuner, if you have it, and I upgraded to the latest ATI CCC for windows 8. TMT5 upgraded just fine and works. The only other setup tweak was that I needed to look at and update the location of where the recorded programs were, and what drive to use for Recorded programs ( I use drive F: and the recorded TV drive was reset to c: during the upgrade, so I changed it back to F: and everything was fine.)

UPDATE: one last thing I noticed was that the new program guide was reset back to the original 5 lines. I had previously set it up to display 10 lines. The guide is now a part of a DLL and the only way to increase the number of rows in the guide data is to modify the DLL. Some people in Australia have already done this.
See what they have done here: http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/topic/46828-more-epg-rows-in-windows-media-center-8/
So far they have done 8, 10 & 13 row guides for x86, and a 13 row guide for x64 dll….
I am waiting for someone to make a 10 row guide since the 13 row guide is too small for my setup.

I am very happy with my conversion and it seems to be much more responsive than my old windows7 MCE smile.gif
Hope this helps any others on the fence....

post #7 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 AM

Well sir, If your still looking for a way to add rows to your guide I would give MCE Reset Toolbox a try. I was having trouble myself finding any tool that was sufficient for media center 8 at all due to it's new release. The best I have found is MCE Reset Toolbox. It gives you a 30 day free trial but after that it's like $15 but it was worth it for me. It reminds of the media center studio program that was really buggy but this actually works. It will let you mess with just about anything. EPG rows, mini EPG rows, live tv buffer, guide and logos. Themes. It's pretty handy. Good luck to you man.

MCE Reset Toolbox:
http://vistademon.wordpress.com/windows-8/

post #8 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyrall View Post

UPDATE: one last thing I noticed was that the new program guide was reset back to the original 5 lines. I had previously set it up to display 10 lines. The guide is now a part of a DLL and the only way to increase the number of rows in the guide data is to modify the DLL. Some people in Australia have already done this.
See what they have done here: http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/topic/46828-more-epg-rows-in-windows-media-center-8/
So far they have done 8, 10 & 13 row guides for x86, and a 13 row guide for x64 dll….
I am waiting for someone to make a 10 row guide since the 13 row guide is too small for my setup.

Do you happen to know of any way in WMC7 to increase the columns in the guide to display 3 hours instead of 1.5 hours?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page